Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Suggestions] Gameplay frustration in Amnesia
MsHannerBananer Offline

Threads: 34
RE: [Suggestions] Gameplay frustration in Amnesia

I personally despise it when a custom story or full conversion mod isn't clear in which it wants you to do. I watch more let's plays of custom stories than I play for myself, so I see it happen more often in let's plays, however this is mostly chalked up to them not reading the notes carefully or paying attention to mementos than anything else.

However there are the slight few that just don't tell you what to do at all, or are difficult to progress in because of the way the mapping is set up. I remember playing White Night and not being able to progress for hours in the room with the cage, because I couldn't fricken see the crowbar in the darkness.

While I'm guilty of maybe sometimes overplaying directions on what to do for puzzles, I find that a helping nudge after a certain amount of time of doing nothing is necessary in the less obvious puzzles. If more modders would take more care into providing helpful, but not too revealing hints, puzzles would still be challenging but just a little easier to complete, therefore less rage worthy.

What I think gameplay lacks these days is creativeness. You don't have to be good at modelling in order to make something in Amnesia. I created my own morgue body coolers with just some planes. They aren't very pretty and are really just holes in a metal wall, but the fact that it looks different is what counts. And the puzzles are usually all the same, especially when it comes to levers. I'm guilty of this as well, turn on or off some levers to make something work or stop working. I feel that there is a lot more that could be done with the gameplay mechanics than what's usually done.

06-09-2014, 01:01 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Suggestions] Gameplay frustration in Amnesia - by MsHannerBananer - 06-09-2014, 01:01 AM