Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Discussion about Depth and other movies
caffeine4671 Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Discussion about Depth and other movies

(10-04-2015, 08:38 PM)Kein Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 07:04 PM)LordOfDragons Wrote: It doesn't make any sense at all. The WAU wants to preserve life, and now it starts attacking and manipulating everyone, especially Adam Golaski, and even kills someone? Why kill someone, if the goal is to save mankind?

This is another thing I was curious to discuss. As you may remember, Catherine specifically, few times mentioned that WAU isn't an actual AI, it does not think or feel human-alike, it is more like a set of logical protocols/reasons with some kind of freedom of interpretation for specific tasks.

Now, if it was an actual AI with a task to preserve human life at any cost, just like a human person it could convince, lie to itself that killing these people at Omicron to save itself is MORE important because letting them destroy itself would results in more death in the end ("i'm the only who can save these people + my destruction would kill all current people connected to my paradise-network etc etc bla bla"). But WAU does not think like that, it just operates through basic logic. Basically, this is the golden case of tv trope "Logic Bomb", you know, remember these ancient sci-fi movies where protagonist asks a robot some dumb kid's question/puzzle and it fries itself? Yeah, basically this. How did WAU decide in that case which lives are more important: the lives of quite a bunch of people at Omicron or the lives of current amount of few (and I believe at that time it was VERY few of them) people in his own "ARK-network" he believe he "saved"? Or may be he even operated via amount of possible lives he can save if he won't be stopped even?

That's rather nonsensical and either a plot hole or, which I find rather poor execution in general - can be explained that WAU "evolved" or "a little bit morecomplex that basic set of logical algorithms but not so complex as full-fledged AI yet complex enough to make such decision which is usually more fits actual AI blabla". Both cases sound rather pathetic to be honest. And REGARDLESS of actual answer this is very WEAK part of the plot and writing. And just one of many.

This is all true, but is Catherine aware of the full extent of the WAU's presence at the time of her scan/copied consciousness? She knows that it has taken over the station, but does she know about site Alpha?

EDIT: Just realized how little I had site alpha explained to me by the game's story. I don't even think Catherine gives a shit that Simon stuck his arm in the WAU. It's like something that they inserted at the last minute, almost
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 08:57 PM by caffeine4671.)
10-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussion about Depth and other movies - by caffeine4671 - 10-04-2015, 08:54 PM