Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Discussion about Depth and other movies
Omnitool Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Discussion about Depth and other movies

(10-05-2015, 05:19 PM)Romulator Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 05:11 PM)Kein Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 03:48 PM)Romulator Wrote: But the sound logs would definitely be a great idea!
That's not bad, actually. I can see such mod that enchances the existing original game by incorporating some fragments of the Transmission Logs series into the game as data-banks, logs or/and pictures.

I'd take up the project if I wasn't so heavily invested in getting the wiki updated with new tutorials - it's definitely something to consider though. I'll add it to the list of projects I may start and hopefully complete, but won't be done for quite a while - so if someone does make a start, please do!

I'm happy you found the idea or incorporating the films into the game useful!

As a word of encouragement:
Actually even though very difficult, it's not impossible to incorporate videos into the in-game computer terminals.
As an example (I know we are talking a completly different game engine on a huge budget, this serves just as a proof of concept!), Alien: Isolation had one or two such films perfectly integrated, one of them was found in a lab where a doctor talks about how the newborn xenomorph escaped (can't find a youtube link right now but I am still looking for it), it was played as a video file on a in-game computer terminal, not as a cutscene.

HPL-3 is very mod-friendly so adding a freeware script to enable video playing should be possible... If you look in the SuperSecret archive, there is a development video showing how the developers were attempting to integrate a CCTV system (a console displays a live feed from a security camera) in the game, so a script for displaying video footage on an in-game monitor might already be in there somewhere Smile

The films could be highly compressed, a 240p video format with 70kbps mp3 sound would perfectly do, as they are played from an in-game computer screen, and the low quality is perfectly plot-justified (the videos could have been corrupted by WAU or failing computer systems, etc), that should solve the problem with the large filesizes and long loading times.

If this is not possible, simple sound logs or sound and a simple pictures slideshow are still great!
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 01:47 PM by Omnitool.)
10-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussion about Depth and other movies - by Omnitool - 10-07-2015, 01:43 PM