Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Real permadeath - a thought experiment
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Real permadeath - a thought experiment

I was originally going to make The Streets of London have permadeath in it but I thought the mod was already challenging as it is so I decided against it but I thought of making a another edition with permadeath called " Permanent Premature Death" (Get the "joke") but I realised that the permadeath mechanic in Justine required the Launcher which the AmnesiaTest111113 patch doesn't have.

With that said The Streets of London has the cut ideas from AMFP with the non-despawning enemies(even if you got "killed") but I plan to make the encounters a tad easier when the player dies a couple times, however I trying to attempt to keep the fear and tension even the player are dealing with the "easier" enemies.

I see your point about having to solve a puzzle when you respawn, I think it could remove some tension from the game.

(10-10-2014, 08:22 PM)MrBehemoth Wrote: So, here is a possible solution, or hypothetical new game genre. It's just an idea, so tell me what you think.
  • Imagine a short, narrative led game (for example something like Justine in terms of length and pacing) where the difficulty curve is gentle, but the threat is real.

• It's cheap. Say, £2 or less.

• It could be an episode in a longer story, and you have to play them in order.

• Somehow, the game would have to know whether you'd played it before. Now, that would be difficult to implement, but this is just an idea.

• The catch: the game has permadeath. Real permadeath, as in, once your player character has died, that's it. Story over. Finito. There's no new game button. You get one shot, just like real life.
Me personally, I think this is a great idea and I would like to see this executed in a game.
10-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Real permadeath - a thought experiment - by Newsman Waterpaper - 10-10-2014, 09:56 PM