Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Real permadeath - a thought experiment
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Real permadeath - a thought experiment

(10-10-2014, 10:58 PM)MrBehemoth Wrote:
(10-10-2014, 09:56 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: ......but I realised that the permadeath mechanic in Justine required the Launcher which the AmnesiaTest111113 patch doesn't have.
You can still totally implement permadeath in TDD though. Just put your only respawn point in a black box, then after the player dies and respawns in the box, freeze them, roll credits.
I suppose so, I could do it like the alternative difficultly settings in The Trapdoor.
(10-10-2014, 09:56 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: I see your point about having to solve a puzzle when you respawn, I think it could remove some tension from the game.
I don't think it's a bad idea in general, but it would have made the piggies less scary (to the extent that they were scary) if you knew that they weren't actually going to hurt you. Don't know if you knew, but one of those puzzles made it into the final game. In the sewers, there is a separate area with a big pit. If you fall in you have to use a rock to knock a ladder down. If you'd been caught you would have woken at the bottom of the pit.
I remember that area in the bilge level, I thought the walls will be closing in on you when you were in it. I read in the post-modem that bilge,sewers and tunnels were alot more dangerous. I think the tunnels would have been more tense if the pneumatic tubes were malfunctioning,removing the shortcut back to the centrifuge(the area blocked up bu steam) and you had to carry the canisters to the centrifuge yourself, e.g you carrying the canister, the shortcuts gone so you have to backtrack to the holding pens where you can find the hidden (actually hostile) manpig encounter.
(10-10-2014, 09:56 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: Me personally, I think this is a great idea and I would like to see this executed in a game.
Thanks! Good to know.
...But... would you pay for it?
If we expecting some like Justine and for the price of $/£2 I would pay for it. Unlike most gamers, I wouldn't moan about game that 4 hours long that costs 15 euro or dollars(tho I wouldn't pay $/£ 50 for a 5 min game.)
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2014, 11:24 PM by Newsman Waterpaper.)
10-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Real permadeath - a thought experiment - by Newsman Waterpaper - 10-10-2014, 11:21 PM