Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avoiding clichés in a custom story???
LeahTh Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Avoiding clichés in a custom story???

(11-13-2014, 12:40 AM)Romulator Wrote: While waking up could be cliche, the reason behind waking up, like a 10-15 second cutscene beforehand would not be cliche to me. Most stories start with that fade in scenario, which is okay, however just "waking up in a random dungeon" - why are you in this dungeon? What's its significance to you?

Avoid backtracking to the point of ridiculousness in finding an item to press on. Not exactly cliche, but it happens and is quite annoying.

Avoid the 'same' scare scenario. Make use of particles in the engine to create scares in your story which are well thought out, rather than just the "monster spawns after picking up key" scenario.

There are more, but I can't jump onto it right away, I'm not the greatest CS player. Tongue

While not cliche related exactly, I would also look at this thread:
https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-24918.html

Good luck on your CS! If you need help, I'm sure we can assist in some way!

Thanks for the help! From what I've learned so far, my waking up in the castle is okay (it gets explained throughout the game why you're there and who you are).

Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

Current Stories-
Amnesia: Ma Vie - beginning with coding, collecting VAs
Amnesia: Mon Cœur - yet to begin development
11-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Avoiding clichés in a custom story??? - by LeahTh - 11-13-2014, 12:45 AM