Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta
Sirandar Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta

[/quote]
I also resented not being given a choice, but do you know who I resented? Duncan, not Bioware. He's the jerk forcing you to drink, just as all recruits have been forced beforehand. I resented him and the entire Grey Wardens. I saved the city/continent from the Darkspawn because the public didn't know or approve of this hideous ritual, however.

Just the same as the people on the ARK are worth my morals being compromised.
[/quote]

I do see your point exactly and frankly it is the most valid argument for giving license to forced choices. The end justifies the means.

Actually, during my partial playthrough of DAO I hated both Bioware and Duncan in equal measure, which is an achievement of sorts. Choice 2 in my list consists of dying in a hopeless attempt to kill Duncan.

But it is all a question of how the forced choice is done and how it fits into the big picture of the game.

For Soma, in Delta at the stun robot choice, in Simon's frame of reference, the Ark is still pretty abstract and he doesn't even know if it still holds "life" and what kind of beings are on board. It is extremely abstract. Frictional could have made this choice must more viable if "The Ark" was much more concrete in Simons mind at this point and he knew that he felt those aboard they were worth saving. As it is Simons decision is pretty much a leap of faith, and perhaps this is what the devs were crafting ..... Will you kill for faith? In this scenario I would not, so I am completely blocked from finishing the game.

But really this is a matter of faith, not in God but Frictional as a developer. I see their mastery and potential as a developer, otherwise why would I bother posting here. But I felt manipulated in Soma, not by the story or the situation, but by Frictional itself. I brings me absolutely out of the game when this happens. It is something devs should strive to avoid.

Here is an example of a frustrating, painful coercive decision in gaming that was a work of art. It was the decision whether or not to turn against Mr House in New Vegas when he showed signs of megalomania. I chose to turn against him, but it was a very difficult decision and I though a lot about it before choosing. Even now I still remember it vividly. It was a compelling decision, because once I saw it I could suddenly see how he I had been manipulated by House and how I was deluding myself about his character, despite having a huge affinity for it at the same time. Even then when I questioned his plans to destroy the Brotherhood of Steel he had the perfect answer "What do you think they do with all those advanced weapons they collect, build schoolhouses?". He was Mr House to the very end and even as I pulled the plug I could see how and why he was as he is, and how the entire game flowed towards this decision. There was thought put into this ...
10-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta - by Sirandar - 10-01-2015, 03:30 PM