Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta
Sirandar Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta

(10-01-2015, 11:08 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: Throughout this entire situation, you have continually insisted that a no-win situation, a moment where the protagonist that you're portraying cannot achieve a goal without seriously compromising their morals, is unrealistic, and therefore breaks your immersion. I simply cannot believe that you're unaware of how commonplace such circumstances are.

Yes, but the does ubiquity of an event really directly relate to how moral a given choice it is? A common contemporary moral event is the decision whether to circumcise a male or female child or not. In some places it is considered sexual assault. In some places circumcision of male infants is completely acceptable, and refusing is stigmatized. In some places circumcision of female infants is completely acceptable, and refusing is stigmatized.

During World War 2, quite a few behaviors perhaps considered amoral, were as common as rain.

Assessing the morality of a decision with the number of people who would choose it is perhaps the slipperiest moral slope there is.

Is how common a given choice is really a major part of your moral decision making?

There is reasonable doubt considering the effect of the WAU, distributed AI and that Frictional placed a document explicitly stating that both have "advanced AI" that BOTH robots are sentient.

Have you ever killed a sentient being to get what you want? Do you know anyone who has?

But it seems to me the essence of your post is " The world is full of crappy choices to be made, so why fuss about this one in a game?"

Sadly honestly, refusing to kill/shut down either robot is one of the few crappy choices I can refuse without even worse consequences, and so I do .... Hence I escape through the 4th wall.

In the opposite extreme, Dreamfall Chapters tried to make decisions like which lunch you buy for your boyfriend, whether you check in on him, or whether you kiss a girl or not into monumental game shaking decisions, which also didn't work very well for the most part.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015, 01:37 AM by Sirandar.)
10-02-2015, 12:51 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta - by Sirandar - 10-02-2015, 12:51 AM