Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta
Noisecode Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta

(10-02-2015, 02:06 AM)Sirandar Wrote: From the OP ... this horse/robot has been stunned to death so I have a completely different direction for this.

How information is delivered in gaming pretty much dictates a passive experience for players. This is because information is given as visual cues, audio recordings, limited dialogues with NPCs (because of voice acting), and in some cases well crafted combinations of the above. Note that previously I stated that Soma presented information in compelling ways.

To these limited choice of information, the player either chooses to physically act (usually violently) or has an even more limited choices in speaking. Here we come to the real limitation holding back gaming. To choose what to say or do, the choice must be placed in a list for you to choose from. Presenting information in this manner by definition gives you all the choices right before your eyes, and it becomes obvious what to do. There is no discovery, there is no thrill, just a multiple choice exam.

My Galaxy Android phone can transcribe my voice to text in very near real time. Granted my voice is sent to Google for transcription, but they are doing millions at a time so it couldn't be too CPU intense. It is sent to Google so google can control and benefit from it.

So it is quite feasible to have direct text voice entry transcribed to text, analyzed, keyworded and compiled into data that could determine a subset of dialog choices that are in tune with your response, which the player would then choose from. That would move the player from a passive to an active participant of a computer game.

Yes it could be done, my phone and googles server does most of it now in real time.

It is a matter of investing in gaming in a way other than graphical improvements.

The other area that needs serious consideration is fully destructible environments. These give the player the feeling of impact and consequence, and the players actions can be limited not in the stupid ways they are now, but because the whole town will burn down if they don't think about what they are doing.

How stupid was is it in Mass Effect that you were a ELITE specter agent, but you are forced to engage in each mission with a specially limited choice of ammo and heavy weapons (or spells in other games). It would be much more natural to let the player carry whatever they reasonably could carry, and then limit them by the consequences of their firepower, not by strategically feeding them ammo caches. But they had to feed you otherwise player would spam.

Is there any chance we can get a moderator to lock this thread so it can sink to the bottom of the forum (where it belongs) as not only does the original poster continue to rant and behave in a self entitled, unreasonable, delusional way, but is now starting to discuss things that are in no way related Soma such as other video games like Mass effect, gameplay features that are not a part of Soma, the OP's philosophy / stance on ethics , and cellular phones.

[Image: signature015.jpg]
10-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta - by Noisecode - 10-02-2015, 06:41 AM