Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which of these answers describes best how you felt about SOMA's monsters?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Not scary at all and very easy to get past.
0%
0 0%
Just an annoyance.
3.93%
12 3.93%
A bit scary, but mostly annoying.
19.34%
59 19.34%
A bit scary and interesting to encounter
23.93%
73 23.93%
Very scary, but also a bit annoying
32.46%
99 32.46%
Very scary and interesting to encounter.
20.33%
62 20.33%
Total 305 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Official Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters

Not quite certain which answer to pick, I probably lie somewhere inbetween "A bit scary, but interesting to encounter" and "very scary and interesting to encounter".

If I were to describe how I felt about the monsters, I would neither say they were only a bit creepy like in aamfp, nor would I say they scared me in the way the dark decent did(appart from a couple moments).

Really if I were to describe monsters in SOMA in one word, it would be "Tormenting".
They always seemed to have a lot of presence and were hard to predict from the beginning.
Even when you finally got the hang of avoiding one enemy the game would mix things up and throw something new at you, pulling you out of that "comfort" and into forcing yourself through the unknown.
Unlike in Amnesia when it was like "Build-up->Release->Build-up->Release", SOMA would only let me breathe for just the minimal time I needed, before throwing me back into hell. Even when I got "killed" I would not be able to escape to a checkpoint like in Amnesia, I would just be knocked out and awaken with an enemy meters away from me, like "OH YOU THOUGHT IT WAS OVER? KEEP GOING MATE!". The game would just continue to torment me, more and more. When I thought I was safe at the screens Ross shows up. When I thought I could wait for enemies to patrol away you give me an enemy I have to approach. When I thought I could sneak I get a running guy who will eventually find me no matter what.

Like that the game continued to keep me on guard. When I picked up the arc I would normally have thought I was safe, but now that kind of "trust" had been completely broken for me. When I was in that open room in the last level where you have to carry the ark I was like "I knew it" being 99% certain something was going to attack me in that level, but nothing ever came.

When I was by the ending of the game I had never really been scared and freaked the fuck out, but I was not capable of being dissapointed by that, because I was just happy that the Torment was almost over.

SOMA might not have been as scary as Amnesia but SOMA never ever let me go until the end.

Then again I can understand that for others this Torment could easily turn into annoyance. Personally I have a lot of patience and spend up to an hour solving puzzles with monsters around, which could annoy other players, especially if they spend longer.

But in my case I really felt I got the perfect experience.
10-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters - by Vale - 10-05-2015, 06:46 PM
RE: Official Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters - by WALP - 10-05-2015, 07:17 PM