Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bugs or intended?
kenoxite Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months, 3 Weeks ago RE: Bugs or intended?

OK, I finally reinstalled the drivers. But let me post my dxdiag. While I've posted my dxdiag in another thread, it wouldn't hurt to have it here also.

Highlights:
- ASUS M6V (notebook/laptop)
- Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.86GHz
- ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600
- 1.5Gb RAM

The "fixing" process:

1. The ATI case. Just following the usual procedure, Miss.
  • Downloaded the latest ATI drivers, again.
  • Uninstalled the actual ATI drivers, Catalyst panel and anything ATI I could find. Rebooted.
  • Installed the downloaded drivers, again. Rebooted.
2. Oh, by the way Mr. Steam, where were you yesterday at 10PM?
  • I just wanted to make sure Steam was innocent, so I decided to "Verify the integrity of the game cache", just in case.
  • Steam finds that 164 files failed to validate (!)...
  • so I wait until Steam redownloads those corrupted files. How did they get corrupted, only Gabe knows. Probably something related to ancient eldritch rituals.
3. All the clues are gathered. All the suspects are into custody. Time for a recap.
  • Amnesia is launched. Windowed mode. If something goes wrong I want a safe escape route through the desktop this time.
  • I "continue" the game in the "test" profile I created yesterday, which was saved right in the place the video I posted above was recorded.
  • The lighting is displayed correctly this time. Time to light my victory cigar. But, wait...
  • After a couple seconds the game freezes
4. A head in the box. This wasn't over after all.
  • I terminate the Amnesia.exe process and restart the game again.
  • I decide to Start a New Game this time.
  • The voiceover works as normal. The screen only shows a black void. A few minutes after the speech is done the screen starts to slowly lighten up. All I can see through that eternal fade out is a world that moves at a rate of 1 frame each 30 seconds, and I'm being generous here.
  • I terminate the Amnesia.exe process. Pyrrhic victory. Case closed. A sad saxophone can be heard in the background.

So, conclusion:
  • The lighting problem is solved
  • Why? No idea. It was reinstalling the drivers or verifying the cache in Steam, but I'll never know as I didn't launch the game between those two steps.
  • While the lighting is good now I can't play the game anymore. At least I was able to do so before "fixing" this issue.
  • The "trapped mouse pointer" is also probably there. I haven't played the game in full screen since yesterday to try that.
  • The misplaced hand icon issue in the beginning (see video above) hasn't been replied to. I still don't know if it's intended or simply a bug caused by the skewed view.

Suggestions:
  • It'd be nice to add the advice to verify cache in Steam in your troubleshooting thread. It might help someone, and I'm sure most of your players use the Steam version, even if purchased from your store (as I did).
09-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Bugs or intended? - by kenoxite - 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM
RE: Bugs or intended? - by jens - 09-08-2010, 12:45 PM
RE: Bugs or intended? - by kenoxite - 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
RE: Bugs or intended? - by jens - 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM
RE: Bugs or intended? - by kenoxite - 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM
RE: Bugs or intended? - by Thomas - 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM
RE: Bugs or intended? - by kenoxite - 09-08-2010, 08:05 PM
RE: Bugs or intended? - by kenoxite - 09-09-2010, 11:51 AM
RE: Bugs or intended? - by kenoxite - 09-09-2010, 02:54 PM