Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Why is the engine frame-rate limited?
wastedfate Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: Why is the engine frame-rate limited?

(09-09-2010, 07:32 AM)Kleetus Wrote: As you're obviously a genius, explain how it's different when the limit is the same as my refresh rate?

Ugh. You don't have to be a genius to understand V-sync vs. FPS. But I will explain it to you if you want.

V-sync times the imaging so that it displays the next image after the old one is done. Limiting your FPS to your refresh rate should help with screen tear, however it doesn't actively wait until the monitor is ready for the next image. Your fps being 60 is simply a side effect of v-sync, since your monitor cannot handle more than that without screen tear. Since limiting your fps to your refresh rate doesn't do this, you still get screen tear.

Your issue with access violation is very, very, very unspecific. Only advice I can give you is try running it as an administrator.

Also, freeman, you can tell the difference up to about 60fps. Anything after that is really pointlessly wasting memory, though. This is the basic idea of animation, that displaying the images quickly gives an illusion of motion, even when your still veiwing still images. But yes, while the visual difference between 30 and 60 is minor, most people notice it. But seriously, wanting anything more than 60 fps is kind of pointless, wanting anything more than 80 or so is just stupid.
09-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is the engine frame-rate limited? - by wastedfate - 09-11-2010, 02:41 AM