The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experiences in HPL3
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
Experiences in HPL3

I know I'm late to the 'Reasons Why SOMA's Modding Is OK, Not Great But Passable' party so I'll just spend some time writing my thoughts here:

The very first map I ever made in HPL3 was a catwalk with a giant dome and a flesher enemy with no nodes. Simple but really fun. I messed around with a box light and made everything red. This was before I even completed the game. After that I knew I wanted to make something. A mod. I tried to think up of an extremely simple idea. Something even a 12 year old Amnesia Pewdie modder could do. Robos chasing you around a map for three minutes. Short and great for replay value. It would be easy to make a level/script module and I just need to make the maps (the one part about modding I'm really good at).After two month I made the basics of the first map: a reception to walk around, talk and go to different maps.

I was really happy with it, the detail rivaled even the most detailed Amnesia maps. Then 2016 came and made it into a slog and a chore.

I couldn't use the level editor in SOMA as efficiently as I could with the level editor in Amnesia.I felt like I was slowly beginning to lose that spark that started in October. The spark that let me make the reception. I felt like all my work was for naught and I gave up. I went to new engines, got into music making and other activities. I gave up reviewing SOMA mods as they were usually basic 'Terry Akers' maps that could be completed in 10 minutes. This has never happened to me before. At least not to this extent. I load up the mod every now and then, add a few things and leave it for another three weeks. I don't have the heart to update ModDB anymore.

I can say for certain I will complete it, just not this summer or even this year if it gets worse. Undecided
06-27-2016, 07:47 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Experiences in HPL3 - by A.M Team - 06-27-2016, 07:47 PM
RE: Experiences in HPL3 - by Hypercube - 06-28-2016, 10:51 AM
RE: Experiences in HPL3 - by A.M Team - 06-28-2016, 05:46 PM
RE: Experiences in HPL3 - by Hypercube - 06-29-2016, 03:24 AM
RE: Experiences in HPL3 - by A.M Team - 06-29-2016, 08:02 AM
RE: Experiences in HPL3 - by Hypercube - 06-29-2016, 08:19 AM
RE: Experiences in HPL3 - by A.M Team - 06-29-2016, 04:04 PM
RE: Experiences in HPL3 - by Hypercube - 06-29-2016, 05:19 PM
RE: Experiences in HPL3 - by Romulator - 06-29-2016, 06:12 PM