Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia - problems with getting scared?
Istrebitel Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Amnesia - problems with getting scared?

2 hollowleviathan
On point of showing game over:
Well, there were a LOT of games out there that had you screw your game and have no way to finish it but not showing game over right away. I think Space Quest or something like that series were very popular and were known to have such things. Sam&Max. Lighthouse. This didn't make them bad games. Or maybe i am wrong. I am not a pro game designer so i cannot speak authoritatively.

It is... You see... I just FEEL that it is too player-based.
It is TOO SAFE for the apparently falling apart/being consumed by some red matter old castle. Why would this thing always grow on the door after i go in and get all required loot and go out? Why would this cavein happen and seal off that room after i got what i need to progress from that room.

Its like the immortal question of the Doom/Duke Nukem and so series. Why is the red key always before the red door, the blue key before the blue door and the yellow key before the yellow door? Why is it NEVER the other way around? Think about it - in whole series they (designers) NEVER made us go around the door because there is NO key, key was ALWAYS there for us to grab. Did someone specifically plant them keys to make you go through?

Imagine you break in some deserted facility and it has locked doors, but you always find your way through since there is always a key around to open doors. After some times spent you WILL feel someone is toying with you! Add to it that path behind you shuts once in a while so you can ONLY continue forward (you would feel trapped and left to die, but you keep finding a way FORWARD, always finding keys for the doors or ways to pass through). You WILL KNOW someone is toying with you.

And now i KNOW this game is made up by human so its obviously it will be like this!

I just argue that i think it would be possible to make it less apparent that we are lead by breadcrumbs from start to end, that we are supplied means to solve the next puzzle every time, that we are given a way out of danger every time...

Like, simple example, make a locked door you are supposed to find a key for, but key is nonexistant and instead you have to lure a monster to that door so that it breaks it, then hide from the monster, and then go through.

2 Tanshaydar
No, as is said, this game scares me very much.
I just found out that i have too many ways NOT to get scared, and that's due to the design model (like i said, i can never fear a monster if i'm in a dead end no-door corridor, i can never fear a monster if i just came to a quest apparatus and didnt yet follow the sequence that completes quest, etc) and that lead me to thinking about what else is certainly flawed and writing this post.
Nevertheless, i do feel like this game is really great in delivering the emotion and i do think about trying out Penumbra series after i finish this, since they're told to be great horrors too!

2 Hardarm
Ending choosing is different from the whole game. Yes its good the game has multiple endings, if it has them, but i am speaking about whole world being seamlessly "on its own". Not providing you with solutions every time. Not providing you one way out every time.

I mean, it could even be done like this:

Make the story path unstable and deviated, i mean, not a single line from start to point of choice of ending to the ending, but numerous choices. Player would then not see some of the content (which is often why there is no deviation in storyline - they say "we can make X content for the whole game and you will see it all, or X/10 content, one for each way of going through the game and you will see 1/10th of it, and they chose the first so that player has more rich experience - this is why, for example, they dumped the idea of class-based quests in WoW). Which can be worked around by re-using the content later or in other part of the game.

For example, imagine such game plan:

1) Start
2) Decision point
3a) Player went in the left door
3b) Player went down the hole
4) Paths reunite

Now, imagine we need a complex puzzle to make the player seriously use his brain. We could safely use same puzzle in 3a or 3b since player wouldnt see the other path once he chose one of them.

Or, we could even go further - we could have two decision points and on first player chooses a or b (and gets puzzle a or b) and on second player chooses again and gets the puzzle he didnt get on first point. That would re-use "missed" content as much as possible, while still leaving space for choice (and a feeling that this world isnt built around player but has its own life, and player is just one another object in it...)

2 nemesis567
3) Well, this DID scare me, the atmosphere, and the fear that the monster is SOMEWHERE around, but when i finally realised he just DESPAWNED, this so hurt my feelings. I mean, all this time i feared nothing! Its like... anticlimatic? When you are wandering around and fear the monster behind the corner, you MUST be given a chance to see and be spotted and run away from the monster. If you never see him or he's just a vision, you will feel stupid for fearing him in the first place, thats all. Like our childish nightmares "there is no monster under the bed, check it" and then you check and then you make laugh of other kids who still believe in something that isnt there.
4) I think you mean to reply to 5) - no its not all FPS'es who have kidnapping/capture/death of the main hero. MGS is third person stealth action, MM9 is first person a team rpg, Dark Messiah of MM is an rpg/adventure/hack&slash, Kotor is a third person team rpg

Thanks all for reading and replying.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2011, 07:53 AM by Istrebitel.)
07-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Amnesia - problems with getting scared? - by Istrebitel - 07-05-2011, 07:53 AM