Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Main Menu- Easy to do!
Mr. Bombastic Offline

Threads: 6
Custom Main Menu- Easy to do!

I wondered how i could change the main menu in Amnesia, because it got really old.

You just have to edit the .map file with the map editor, which is located in
your installation directory/redist/main_menu/main.
But you have to delete the .map_cache file or it will display wrong.
BE SURE TO HAVE A BACK-UP OF THE ORIGINAL "main_menu" FOLDER!

I like the Outside Environments in this game so I edited it, now it looks like this:
http://hostmyfilez.com/i/00000/j34phtymokvk.jpg
I made it extra dark, because i like it. Smile

Oh, the download-link: http://www.mediafire.com/?zre52z777f8vr71
All you have to do is to delete the main_menu folder in redist...
AGAIN BE SURE TO HAVE A BACK-UP OF THE ORIGINAL "main_menu" FOLDER!
Then you have to extract the folder you just downloaded to /redist!
08-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Find
MegaScience Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Custom Main Menu- Easy to do!

You should add help for the slight differences in folder composition for the Steam version of the game.

Also, I was wanting to make a more dynamic main menu screen. Before I say anything, the thought occurred that there's no .hps in that folder and might not be loaded if I created one. I wanted to make some effects that go off to make it more interesting, but I'd rather not get my hopes up without confirmation if a .hps can be loaded for the main menu map.

Edit: Nope, .hps isn't loaded with the map. I tried to make the Amnesia bottle shards bounce with it, nothing happens. Any workaround, or impossibility?
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2011, 02:48 PM by MegaScience.)
08-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

(08-30-2011, 02:37 PM)MegaScience Wrote: You should add help for the slight differences in folder composition for the Steam version of the game.

Also, I was wanting to make a more dynamic main menu screen. Before I say anything, the thought occurred that there's no .hps in that folder and might not be loaded if I created one. I wanted to make some effects that go off to make it more interesting, but I'd rather not get my hopes up without confirmation if a .hps can be loaded for the main menu map.

Edit: Nope, .hps isn't loaded with the map. I tried to make the Amnesia bottle shards bounce with it, nothing happens. Any workaround, or impossibility?

No .hps will load in a loadscreen, only the map itself, meaning that all sounds, particles, yadda yadda in the map will load, but no scripts. (confirmation)

You would have to find some witty way to do stuff like that in the level editor.

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM by Juby.)
08-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Find
MegaScience Offline

(08-30-2011, 03:37 PM)Juby Wrote: No .hps will load in a loadscreen, only the map itself, meaning that all sounds, particles, yadda yadda in the map will load, but no scripts. (confirmation)

You would have to find some witty way to do stuff like that in the level editor.

I wanted to make it like... Maybe describe it like L4D type background? Doors would slightly open and close by themselves, very rarely a Grunt would turn the corner and run at the screen. XD Hallucination poof at the last moment. Something awesome like that. But if I can't load an HPS, that isn't possible. D:... Maybe editing one of the cfg files? Meh.
08-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Find
tonewww Offline

Threads: 50

just to say something the AI in main menus will not work even if the enemy is looking directly at you
Btw i also made a basic tutorial on this on the wiki

*Wishes Penumbra Tech Demo section would return*
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2011, 12:04 AM by tonewww.)
08-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Find
MegaScience Offline

(08-31-2011, 12:03 AM)tonewww Wrote: just to say something the AI in main menus will not work even if the enemy is looking directly at you
Btw i also made a basic tutorial on this on the wiki

1: I've seen people with backgrounds of Grunt's being all whiny since they have nothing to do.
2: Link maybe?
08-31-2011, 02:53 AM
Find
tonewww Offline

Threads: 50

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/start look around under tutorials

*Wishes Penumbra Tech Demo section would return*
08-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

That's something I'd like to request of Frictional really, to update the game to support AI and scripts in the main menu as it would allow some cool things.
08-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Find
MegaScience Offline

I guess they don't want people trying scripts that do things impossible on the main menu screen. Understandable, but it limits our creativity. Undecided

Really, I think of just a nice, thin hallway. Well lit, camera looking down it, a 90 degree turn at the end. Set up some randomized scripts. Doors will slowly open and close by themselves. Maybe you'd see something for a split second in there. There would be thunder and lights flickering. Very rarely, a Grunt would spawn around the corner while the lights flicker and run down the hallway, poofing into smoke RIGHT at the camera. Awesomeness.
08-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

What about 100 Damage on a menu? what would happen? xD

listen to boards of canada
08-31-2011, 11:45 PM
Website Find