Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rigging issue - With video, little text, READ :)
Teodor Sundström Offline

Threads: 3
Lightbulb  Rigging issue - With video, little text, READ :)

Hello.
So I tried using this tutorial, but I cannot make the figure bend. Also it thrashes around. Look at the video to see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAY9XTDLL48

Why is this?
09-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Rigging issue - With video, little text, READ :)

The bodies are colliding with each other. Highlight each joint then set "Collide Bodies" to false, that should fix it up for you!

09-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Find
Teodor Sundström Offline

Nice, that solved the jumping white elements issue. But what is more is the bending issue. Why does the figure not bend? And why does "show skeleton" show nothing. Should I have equipped the figure with physique and bones in 3dsmax beforehand?
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2011, 04:46 PM by Teodor Sundström.)
09-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I think it might need bones. I had the same issue, but that was due to the rotation of the hinges + something which I do not remember. Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2011, 06:01 PM by Acies.)
09-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Find
Teodor Sundström Offline

Thanks, Acies.

(09-16-2011, 06:01 PM)Acies Wrote: I think it might need bones. I had the same issue, but that was due to the rotation of the hinges + something which I do not remember. Smile

1. Can you tell me how to prepare a character in max?

2. Am I on the right track here anyway? I want to import the model you see in the video into the game to replace some characters with. So the character movement should be applied on my model.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2011, 06:37 PM by Teodor Sundström.)
09-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

I use maya. I think Max has X as the "up" axis, so I'm unsure of how that will affect the model. Perhaps it could work since it has no animations.

2. You appear to be on the right track. Joints, bodies etc are in place. Try adding that skeleton.

" I want to import the model you see in the video into the game to replace some characters with. So the character movement should be applied on my model." This does confuse me though. Replace what? Movement? It will move if dragged or pulled but it won't move on its own Smile

09-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Find
Teodor Sundström Offline

(09-16-2011, 06:55 PM)Acies Wrote: " I want to import the model you see in the video into the game to replace some characters with. So the character movement should be applied on my model." This does confuse me though. Replace what? Movement? It will move if dragged or pulled but it won't move on its own Smile

When you're playing the game some thingys I guess they're called grunts come to you. Those grunts are rigged 3d models, a cloud of voxels being connected by shapes just the way my model is. So I simply want MY model attack "me" instead of a grunt. So all movements of the grunt should be applied to my model. For this I need to have the skelleton of the grunt.
09-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Indeed they are Smile However, you have not been following a guide for creating you own monster - since there is none. As I more clearly understand your question now: No I'm sorry. It looks kind of wrong. You do not need joints for a grunt.

To rig & animate a grunt/monster you need Maya. I am unsure of how successful it would be to copy the skeleton of a grunt and apply it to your model - in my mind it seems to be more work than creating a new from scratch Smile

I recommend you open the grunt and have a look at it.

Good luck to you!

09-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Find
Teodor Sundström Offline

The issue goes on. As usual shown in a video to make it easy to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKW5EjXmwzU

09-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

In order to scale it down properly, you have to unbind the mesh and scale the bones and mesh down, and then rebind. Either that or you have to reset the bindpose after scaling down. It doesn't work when scaling it down by itself because the original position of the model when it is bound is how the model editor interprets its size.

As for the rotation, well, max is Z up, and HPL2 is Y up. So you'll just need to rotate your model 90 degrees onto the +Z axis (also after unbinding or changing the bindpose).
09-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Find