Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Script problem or Impulse problem?
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Script problem or Impulse problem?

(09-18-2011, 06:09 AM)Bennick Wrote: Should I move all my AddEntityCollideCallbacks to OnStart? What's the difference between OnStart and OnEnter?

If i understand things correctly, the difference deals with whether or not the user can save their progress. OnEnter will always be called regardless, and OnStart will only be called once if the user is allowed to have states saved (i.e. game saves), otherwise it should act as OnEnter.

BTW, have you tried spacing out "string&in" to "string &in"? Not sure if that makes a difference, though, as i've always had mine spaced out.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Website Find
Bennick Offline

Threads: 27

(09-18-2011, 06:36 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(09-18-2011, 06:09 AM)Bennick Wrote: Should I move all my AddEntityCollideCallbacks to OnStart? What's the difference between OnStart and OnEnter?

If i understand things correctly, the difference deals with whether or not the user can save their progress. OnEnter will always be called regardless, and OnStart will only be called once if the user is allowed to have states saved (i.e. game saves), otherwise it should act as OnEnter.

BTW, have you tried spacing out "string&in" to "string &in"? Not sure if that makes a difference, though, as i've always had mine spaced out.
Well I don't space them out and all my other functions work perfectly. Idk. :/

Fratricide (title not finalized): 2/7 maps. :D
09-18-2011, 06:59 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(09-18-2011, 06:59 AM)Bennick Wrote: Well I don't space them out and all my other functions work perfectly. Idk. :/

Are you positive that you have the item "letterkey"? If you don't have that item at the time of colliding with the area, you have lost your chance to get the desired result from the callback (given the fact that you are telling the script to remove the callback upon collision), therefore the second area, "biblescript," likewise won't activate.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2011, 11:29 AM by Your Computer.)
09-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Website Find
Bennick Offline

(09-18-2011, 11:26 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(09-18-2011, 06:59 AM)Bennick Wrote: Well I don't space them out and all my other functions work perfectly. Idk. :/

Are you positive that you have the item "letterkey"? If you don't have that item at the time of colliding with the area, you have lost your chance to get the desired result from the callback (given the fact that you are telling the script to remove the callback upon collision), therefore the second area, "biblescript," likewise won't activate.
Actually, strangest thing, I got it to work. Apparently I would type String&in asParent but then type String &in as Child with a space. Making it more consistent got me the desired result. The funny thing is, I've had that space and non space syntax before and it was no problem for other functions... But I guess I've learned my lesson: consistency. Now what would be the best impulse number to make them books fly!? Tongue

09-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

(09-18-2011, 06:09 AM)Bennick Wrote:
(09-18-2011, 05:31 AM)MrBigzy Wrote: Is the script area named "biblescript"?
Is the callback for it in OnStart?
The scriptarea for "bible" is "biblescript"
And everything is under OnEnter. Should I move all my AddEntityCollideCallbacks to OnStart? What's the difference between OnStart and OnEnter?
OnEnter means it happens each time you enter the room. OnStart only happens the first time you do that scripting I believe....

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
09-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

OnStart happens the first time you enter the map. OnEnter happens everytime you enter the map.
09-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Find
Bennick Offline

(09-18-2011, 05:54 PM)MrBigzy Wrote: OnStart happens the first time you enter the map. OnEnter happens everytime you enter the map.
Aha, thanks. Big Grin

09-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Find