Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map level dimensions
Montesky Offline

Threads: 2
Map level dimensions

Hi all !!

Anybody know what it the max dimension allowed for HPL level maps ...

I working over a custom map, the entire surface is a custom meshe, aprox. over 1500 x 1500 m, i´ve tested the start player area in any position, no problem here... but with entities lose his property when it is more than 500m from center map, ...

Any help apreciated!!! Thanks guys
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2011, 11:18 PM by Montesky.)
09-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Map level dimensions

As far as I know there is no such limitation.
500 m is specified in game configuration files that player would die after 500m of falling.

09-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Website Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

Physics for Entities is disabled when the ents are a certain distance away from a static object. This can be fixed by having some transparent / hidden non colliding planes near where the ents are - or just splitting your static map mesh up into a few quadrants, or adding some decorative static objects to the map. There is no feasibly reachable max dimension, however if you start getting "outlier" warnings on map size alone then maybe the map is getting a little big!
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2011, 03:10 AM by Apjjm.)
09-21-2011, 03:09 AM
Find
Gilgamesh Offline

Threads: 0

I thought there was some limitation, since I managed to destroy half of my greatest, most complete map. I quess it must've been something else.
The very reason I'm back only now, stronger than ever.
09-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

(09-21-2011, 07:04 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote: I thought there was some limitation, since I managed to destroy half of my greatest, most complete map. I quess it must've been something else.
The very reason I'm back only now, stronger than ever.
Another Lesson to be learned: Keep backups of important files.

09-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

Keep in mind performance. If you're developing a custom story you can't base your though on the people with high tech computers. Most people still has their 2-3 year old computer.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
09-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Find
Pr3d4t0r Offline

Threads: 4

I think it would be better to split your area onto mutliple maps with doors that teleport from one map to each other. Like this, the player will have the sensation to be in the same map but just using doors.

Making big big big sized map is not good for optimization.

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2011, 04:38 PM by Pr3d4t0r.)
09-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Find
Montesky Offline

Threads: 2
Photo  RE: Map level dimensions

Thanks guys !!!

Yeah, i´ve check for enable zones with any invisible objects or planes... fine, some entities run perfectly, but another like static... the most entities in map are custom 3d objects made for me... they run perfectly in "works areas"... but more than 500m they fail... i´ve chek it with custom and original entities...

My example map is a gigant outdoor zone where with montain, river, road and forest where can lost you easily... , a car crash zone where player start, the car is a entitie object with multiple doors that you can open close or detach, etc... and yes.. maybe is better for gain performance splitter the entire map making instances... Smile, but i try a not instance pause map

i continue testing Smile thanks again
edit for imagewith measures:
[Image: lightbox]
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2011, 04:31 PM by Montesky.)
09-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Find
Pr3d4t0r Offline

Threads: 4

(09-22-2011, 04:18 PM)Montesky Wrote: Thanks guys !!!

Yeah, i´ve check for enable zones with any invisible objects or planes... fine, some entities run perfectly, but another like static... the most entities in map are custom 3d objects made for me... they run perfectly in "works areas"... but more than 500m they fail... i´ve chek it with custom and original entities...

My example map is a gigant outdoor zone where with montain, river, road and forest where can lost you easily... , a car crash zone where player start, the car is a entitie object with multiple doors that you can open close or detach, etc... and yes.. maybe is better for gain performance splitter the entire map making instances... Smile, but i try a not instance pause map

i continue testing Smile thanks again
edit for imagewith measures:
[Image: lightbox]
Looking forward for your mod, it looks really good. Crash car zone, forest... remind a lot of Resident Evil like. Could be awesome !!
Anyway, looking forward for your mod, hoping get news soon.

Peace !

09-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Find