Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Dead -> Loading -> Hang
cisforCOJO Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Dead -> Loading -> Hang

Anyone else having problems with the game hanging when after dying?
When I first start the game, loading has no problems. If I die, then it just hangs forever.
I have to restart X. Any ideas???
05-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Find
aidanr Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Dead -> Loading -> Hang

yep, that happed to me a few times, had to restart x and kill penumbra.bin so nothing showed up in the hpl.log, i haven't tried ulimit -c unlimited

one quick workaround i found worked, was instead of hitting continue, i'd hit main menu instead and load it from there
05-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Find
PRAEst76 Offline

Threads: 1

cisforCOJO Wrote:Anyone else having problems with the game hanging when after dying?
When I first start the game, loading has no problems. If I die, then it just hangs forever.

It's done this on me a few times. Sometimes it reloads fine, other times it sits on Loading... until I kill the game. Never had to restart X. I just Ctrl+Alt and F1 to a tty session and
killall -9 penumbra.bin
. It usually locks my mouse but if i reload penumbra and quit it normally it gives me the mouse back. Possibly you can retrieve the mouse in some other fashion, but i haven't done any digging through the system to find out what causes that.

PRAEst76
05-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Website Find
cisforCOJO Offline

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try em next time.

I didn't know about killall -9 ....
that's brilliant. I was forced to reboot because kill simply wasn't getting the job done!

PRAEst76 Wrote:
cisforCOJO Wrote:Anyone else having problems with the game hanging when after dying?

It's done this on me a few times. Sometimes it reloads fine, other times it sits on Loading... until I kill the game. Never had to restart X. I just Ctrl+Alt and F1 to a tty session and
killall -9 penumbra.bin
. It usually locks my mouse but if i reload penumbra and quit it normally it gives me the mouse back. Possibly you can retrieve the mouse in some other fashion, but i haven't done any digging through the system to find out what causes that.
06-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Find
beamdelta Offline

Same issue here. It seems mostly random but highly annoying. I hope a new patch comes out that fixes this.

By the way, I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 with Nvidia 97.55 drivers. Are you people with this problem using the same ?
06-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Find
cisforCOJO Offline

beamdelta Wrote:Same issue here. It seems mostly random but highly annoying. I hope a new patch comes out that fixes this.

By the way, I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 with Nvidia 97.55 drivers. Are you people with this problem using the same ?

Feisty with ATI
06-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Find
mercy Offline

cisforCOJO Wrote:Same issue here. It seems mostly random but highly annoying. I hope a new patch comes out that fixes this.

Same issue here:

openSuSE 10.2, Kernel 2.6.21-154-default, NVIDIA 97.55 drivers, 7900 GT, AMD Athlon64 X2 5200+
06-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

only tried this a few times, and worked so far. but may easily not all the time. I myself get the "loading..." freeze. What I did, again, only did this about 2 or 3 times, is click on "main menu" instead, then say 'continue'; "to last saved game"
06-06-2007, 04:03 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

Just for grins. Has any one tried the sound workaround here ?http://frictionalgames.com/forum/showthr...46#pid9246.

curious if this issue is related to the other.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
06-06-2007, 04:09 AM
Website Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

my system is:

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 64 bit (3200+)
Distro: MandrivaLinux 2007.1 Spring
Kernel: 2.6.17-13mdv
Graphic Card: NVIDIA 7300 GT

I never got any errors with the radio message though. My only problems are when it says "loading...", it freezes.
Also, this happened about three times:

Spoiler below!
I believe this was right after the first worm encounter. I do know that this was in the area where you walked near the spiders nest to pull a lever that activated a door to open. You had to run back quick to get into the other room. Three times straight, two of them after pulling the lever, it froze. The last was before I got there.

Otherwise, no other errors, except once, it didn't even want to load the game itself. I type in "sh (name of game)", and just ended up with a blank screen.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2007, 01:18 AM by Greatred.)
06-07-2007, 01:13 AM
Find