Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: "Who" did you feel like
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I was myself in the game from start to finish
49.63%
67 49.63%
I started out acting as myself and then slowing acted more as Daniel as I learned about him.
38.52%
52 38.52%
I acted as Daniel from start to finish.
11.85%
16 11.85%
Total 135 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia

Hmm... I don't think i was either of those variants.
I was... well, i felt like I was more like observer. The first person pov is not always a choice of story/conception narration, sometimes it is a technical choice, but still... usually it being used to let the players associate themselves with main hero easily, more swift. Yet I felt like I was playing a 3rd person game and I was a 3rd person in there.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I started out feeling more like myself, a complete newbie to the castle, and began to work my way into Dan's shoes as I learned more about him. I guess that's probably what you intended, since that's really how the story (and amnesia arc) unfolded.

I'm not sure if I exactly began to feel personally responsible for what happened in Dan's past, but it certainly impacted me. Since I did begin to feel like Daniel in general, there was a little part of me that felt regret for his (my-ish) actions in the past.

Thomas, you might also want to ask this about Phil in Penumbra too, and see how the results compare.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
10-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Website Find
LuckyBlackCatXIII Offline

Threads: 3

1.) Throughout the game I did feel like I was in Brennenburg! The sounds and atmosphere (especially with the headphones on and the lights off) really got to me, probably because this was the first horror game I had actually played myself for the most part, and made the entire experience both wonderful and horrifying at the same time. The story kept me well immersed the whole time too, keeping me on the edge of my seat to see just what would happen for the things I hadn't figured out myself.

2.) As said before, this was my first horror game that I actually played (I've watched many an LP for other games but never experienced them for myself hands on until Amnesia), so in a sense I felt like Daniel for the most part: confused on where I was, scared, and wanting to know more about 'my' past that 'I' had forgotten. At some points I did feel myself separating from the main character, mainly just to chide Daniel and basically blame him for things such as running too slow or not grabbing things that were right in his face, but on the most part I put myself in his shoes both unintentionally or forcefully so that I could try to see what it would be like to experience all these paranormal happenings that were going on in his life, thus enjoying the story even more.

Last, I'd say for the majority of the game my relationship with Daniel was good. At first I had pity for him and found him enjoyable (since it was refreshing to have a main character in a horror game that wasn't gun ho to finish his goal, but very cowardly [to an extent of course. The fact he even goes to the Inner Sanctum instead of just killing himself is pretty brave to me]). He was an enjoyable character and the fact that I loved listening to his/Richard Topping's voice added to my approval too. When the hints and flashbacks began to show the more monstrous side of him though made me like the character more in a love/hate sense. On one hand I was disappointed in him for how he let himself get to such a cruel state, while on the other hand I greedily enjoyed the turn of events since it was just wonderfully dramatic plus showed just how far humans can go in an effort to survive. Also, when we find out just why Daniel took the amnesia potion to begin wtih (wanting to start on a new leaf and what not) it pleased me to see that the man I had first liked still had some humanity left enough to try and be a better man [this also works if you go with the Agrippa ending too, at least for me].

All in all I did blame Daniel when he did horrible things, at least story wise, since this was HIS life rather than mine. I could feel how he was but I was still just a watcher of his life when it came to the plot. When it came to technical things, such as opening doors while running, climbing ladders, etc my reaction would flip flop. Sometimes I would yell at Daniel to get his act together, or apologize to him.

Wow I write too much, I am so sorry. Good luck on your newest character, guys! I'm sure you'll do great!
10-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

(10-09-2011, 09:58 PM)Kein Wrote: Hmm... I don't think i was either of those variants.
I was... well, i felt like I was more like observer. The first person pov is not always a choice of story/conception narration, sometimes it is a technical choice, but still... usually it being used to let the players associate themselves with main hero easily, more swift. Yet I felt like I was playing a 3rd person game and I was a 3rd person in there.
But when doing actions, ie acting out, who did you act as? You simply cannot just be a pure oberver like you are in film, because the interactive nature require you to make decisions. So I can understand that you are an observer during some parts, but when it comes time for you to do something, you need to react in some manner. And what is of interest is then who you chose to interact as, yourself or the fictional character Daniel?
10-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

That is the interesting thing - it was easy to figure out the gameplay line, idea and concept in the game. There wasn't so much choices like in RPG and most of them I did mechanically, already knowing that I need to do them to progress further and they won't affect gameplay much. Basically, if there was something to investigate, I did investigate it, in any possible way. I could spent a hours trying many different things and roads, but in the end, when I re-load fail-safe I were choosing a "path of Daniel", and not a vengeful one. So, basically, I played as myself and as Daniel at the same time thus why I said I was more like observer, investigator.
In short, I played an awesome atmospheric game, but didn't seek for roleplay when there was none.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Find
design3 Offline

Threads: 1

Agreed with Carnie above: the aspect of amnesia/lack of information garnered the most connection or feeling of "self" towards the player. After one begins to learn of Daniel's personality/life, I couldn't help feeling he was a prissy dipshit (also probably a result of the archaic ha perceptions of the given time period) and so it was harder to relate. I don't usually find myself getting lost in a different time period, I've found; my brain can't help but chuckle at how cliche every issue is, their lack of knowledge, etc. It leaves me with a superiority complex over the story itself.

Since this is for an upcoming project, I'd recommend modern settings (though overused) because they allow me to feel fully immersed in the motivations, known/unknowns, typical behavior, etc of the characters.

I'd also say that after playing Frictional's games, my own perception has changed; really, the story almost always will hinder immersion because it is the least "real" of the experience. Your immersion techniques within the game (and as you mentioned, upcoming "real" hands, etc.) are the strongest points, and I almost wish a game could hold everyone's attention without even revealing as much literal "story" as Amnesia did.

If only we could play a next-gen Frictional game with some kind of meta-narrative elements, eh!
10-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Website Find
CheshireUsagi Offline

Threads: 2

Having done a lot of research on the game before I actually decided to buy it, it was really hard not to identify as Daniel throughout the entire game, already knowing the basis of his story.

I always imagine it like playing a 3rd person game, in 1st person view, because I know I am playing a character, even though I am not able to see him.

I have to admit though, part of me is incredibly curious to see a fully rendered Daniel, since all we've seen is the concept art.

As far as my experience goes, its pretty much on par with everything that LuckyBlackCatXIII wrote (hay gurl hay ;D ) so I really see no sense in repeating it in different words. She already said everything to do with Daniel's character in better words than I ever could, lmao.

I like to draw Amnesia fanart. :3

http://chesireusagi.deviantart.com/
10-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Find
design3 Offline

Threads: 1

Just as a thought on immersion: for me, MYST probably has the highest level of immersion due to the utter lack of mention of the main character in any descriptive way. There is never a moment where the game reminds you that your character is not you. Perhaps some kind of storyline without much info regarding the main character would create the most experiential immersion. On the contrary, more involvement in the M.C. will create more narrative immersion. I'm making a first person adventure/horror game inspired by Frictional's work in which you play as a child having a nightmare. I suppose I'm shooting more for an experiential immersion than a narrative one.
10-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Website Find
Belladonnan Offline

Threads: 0

I basically do not play those mini games, but some MMOs or browser online games like
DDTank , Pockie Ninja The Sims Social and Pockie Ninja. They are the best games I have played.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2011, 10:13 AM by Belladonnan.)
10-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I played the game more fully immersed and 'roleplaying' than in any other game. As I learned of Daniel's actions in the past, it felt like things that someone else had done, and that present Daniel and I were both not that person, not now or ever.

The memory of painting the man and cutting the lines was more visceral and personal, and it was a moment of pulling both of us out of aloof reveries, for Daniel to truly personally remember it, and for me, doing what he had done, but even that moment did not split present daniel and I the player, in that he had truly remembered himself doing that, and I had truly relived and done those things for the first time. It moved me into an accomplice to what he had just truly remembered doing, putting us in effectively the same shoes (that we had already been sharing).
10-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Find