Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Custom Story won't show up...is it because of my mac???
MissMarilynn Offline

Threads: 23
Exclamation  My Custom Story won't show up...is it because of my mac???

I am trying to make my custom story work but I have a complicated problem. I tried to use plain text TextEdit program for mac and it didn't work so I put those files onto my HP computer and converted them to .exe files. It worked as a .exe file but then my map would be stuck at the "loading..." page.

Is there anyway I can get anything to work? I would prefer to just use my mac for everything. Is that possible? Can I tun my text documents (.cfg, .hps, .lang) into .exe on my mac? Or is there another file I need to convert it to?

Before you ask I do have the right playerstart area and the right map and map folder etc...Could it be that my map is saved with the same name in other places?

Could is also be that I made my map too big? It is two floors with some rooms?
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM by MissMarilynn.)
10-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: My Custom Story won't show up...is it because of my mac???

Why would you need to convert your text files to exe?
If it doesn't show up, your custom_story_settings.cfg file is not properly configured. For further info, please check here: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...stom_story

10-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Website Find
MissMarilynn Offline

(10-11-2011, 08:28 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Why would you need to convert your text files to exe?
If it doesn't show up, your custom_story_settings.cfg file is not properly configured. For further info, please check here: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...stom_story
Because I didn't change my files at all when I converted them to .exe files and it suddenly worked. All I did was move the files to my HP, open them using notepad, and then I put them back onto my mac and they worked.

To double check my custom_story_setting.cfg looks like this:

<Main

Name = "Franciscan Undead"

Author = "Marilynn"

MapsFolder = "Maps/ch01"

StartMap = "lobby.map"

StartPos = "PlayerStartArea_1"

/>

and my extra_english.lang looks like this:

<LANGUAGE>
<RESOURCES />
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">This is a test.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

</LANGUAGE>

10-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

It looks pretty much fine, but it doesn't show up in the list?
Make sure your map is actually under your custom_story_folder/Maps/ch01

10-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Website Find
MissMarilynn Offline

(10-11-2011, 08:45 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: It looks pretty much fine, but it doesn't show up in the list?
Make sure your map is actually under your custom_story_folder/Maps/ch01

No it doesn't. The weird thing is that is does show up when I convert it by going to my HP and back to my mac. The only problem is that it won't open my map then.

Here is a screen shot of how I set up my files:http://imageshack.us/f/831/screenshot20111011at358.png/

The files are all white and say: TextDocument. Although I have went through and converted them to the .cfg and .lang
I just create my map and save it directly to my map folder. Am I suppose to be doing something else with it? Converting it or anything?
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2011, 08:53 PM by MissMarilynn.)
10-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

You can use "save as" function to save your text files as .cfg and .lang since they're nothing but plain text files.

Everything looks in place though :/

10-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

It's because TextEdit by default is a word processor. Word processors tend to save in RTF (rich-text format). Notepad is an plain text editor and does not save in RTF but ASCII. That is why it works when you use Notepad.

In your other topic i linked you to a page on how to get TextEdit to save in plain text format. That should have solved your issue.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
10-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Website Find
MissMarilynn Offline

(10-11-2011, 08:56 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: You can use "save as" function to save your text files as .cfg and .lang since they're nothing but plain text files.

Everything looks in place though :/

How do I make them executable? The files that work have a black square as there image with the green letters "exec" at the top left. I think this is the key to making it work for me.

(10-11-2011, 09:05 PM)Your Computer Wrote: It's because TextEdit by default is a word processor. Word processors tend to save in RTF (rich-text format). Notepad is an plain text editor and does not save in RTF but ASCII. That is why it works when you use Notepad.

In your other topic i linked you to a page on how to get TextEdit to save in plain text format. That should have solved your issue.
I did change it to a plain text editor. Perhaps I did something wrong? Are you using mac as well?
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2011, 09:07 PM by MissMarilynn.)
10-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(10-11-2011, 09:06 PM)MissMarilynn Wrote: I did change it to a plain text editor. Perhaps I did something wrong? Are you using mac as well?

Then try using this program instead: http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/

I don't own a Mac, so i'm kind of shooting in the dark.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
10-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Website Find
MissMarilynn Offline

(10-11-2011, 09:10 PM)Your Computer Wrote:
(10-11-2011, 09:06 PM)MissMarilynn Wrote: I did change it to a plain text editor. Perhaps I did something wrong? Are you using mac as well?

Then try using this program instead: http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/

I don't own a Mac, so i'm kind of shooting in the dark.
Thank for helping me at least! Smile I will download it and see if it helps. With TextEdit, should I ignore rich text commands in RTF files of is it useless?
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2011, 09:13 PM by MissMarilynn.)
10-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Find