Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange problem with model editor
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
Strange problem with model editor

Ok, so I'm making a room for Amnesia. The room is made in Blender, I followed the tutorial on the wiki, it's correctly UV mapped and exported. When I use the model editor, it works fine, I can load my material and apply it to the model BUT when I deselect the model and reselect it, the material is gone from the properties sidebar, also I can't change the name of the entity, I click on the text field assigned to the name property but I can't write anything. Is this normal? I doubt it is.

Also, when I do save the entity and try to open it in model viewer, the viewer crashes. Any suggestions?

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2011, 09:58 PM by eliasfrost.)
10-16-2011, 01:05 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Strange problem with model editor

(10-16-2011, 01:05 AM)nackidno Wrote: BUT when I deselect the model and reselect it, the material is gone from the properties sidebar

That's normal.

(10-16-2011, 01:05 AM)nackidno Wrote: also I can't change the name of the entity, I click on the text field assigned to the name property but I can't write anything. Is this normal?

To add names for the meshes, see here: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/thi...blender_25

(10-16-2011, 01:05 AM)nackidno Wrote: Also, when I do save the entity and try to open it in model viewer, the viewer crashes. Any suggestions?

It's weird that it would load into the model editor and not the viewer. What did you model in Blender?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
10-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Quote:To add names for the meshes, see here: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/thi...blender_25
I just saw that, I'm looking through the .dae file just now Smile

Quote:It's weird that it would load into the model editor and not the viewer. What did you model in Blender?
Just a room, I have some experience with modeling in Blender, so I'm pretty sure the model itself is fine, it might just be an export error. Hopefully the above workaround will fix this, I'll be back in a few minutes. Smile

Thanks Smile

10-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(10-16-2011, 01:18 AM)nackidno Wrote: Just a room, I have some experience with modeling in Blender, so I'm pretty sure the model itself is fine, it might just be an export error. Hopefully the above workaround will fix this, I'll be back in a few minutes. Smile

If it's just a room, then you don't need to import it into the model editor (unless you want the room to have interactive properties that entities are capable of).

Random thought: lol, a room of type grunt.

10-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

UPD: Nope, it didn't change a thing. Also, I just read that you should be able to directly view the model from the viewer:
Quote:[*]
Click the “…” button by the Export file: path and export the file as “filename.dae” in a folder within HPL2, for testing do it in the same folder as the texture you selected. [*]
Using the model viewer you can now view the newly created good looking cube
At least I'm assuming they mean the .dae file. The thing is though that I can't even open the .dae file with the model viewer.

Quote:If it's just a room, then you don't need to import it into the model editor (unless you want the room to have interactive properties that entities are capable of).
Oh, I see. how is collision handled then? Isn't the "shape" used for detection collision areas?
I tried to put the model into the map editor, but it doesn't have texture, it's just a wireframe.

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2011, 01:34 AM by eliasfrost.)
10-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(10-16-2011, 01:27 AM)nackidno Wrote: UPD: Nope, it didn't change a thing. Also, I just read that you should be able to directly view the model from the viewer:

At least I'm assuming they mean the .dae file. The thing is though that I can't even open the .dae file with the model viewer.

The model viewer is only useful when you want the materials to be generated automatically. I have heard that the model editor is more stable when it comes to viewing your creations.

Quote:Oh, I see. how is collision handled then? Isn't the "shape" used for detection collision areas?
I tried to put the model into the map editor, but it doesn't have texture, it's just a wireframe.

Collision for static objects is based off of the normals (faces) of the object itself. If you just see a wireframe, that means you don't have a material file in the same directory that the model is in that references the textures that the model uses.

10-16-2011, 01:41 AM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Quote: The model viewer is only useful when you want the materials to be generated automatically. I have heard that the model editor is more stable when it comes to viewing your creations.
I see, thanks!
Quote:If you just see a wireframe, that means you don't have a material file in the same directory that the model is in that references the textures that the model uses.
But the material file is in the same directory :/ Still doesn't work >.<

10-16-2011, 01:50 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(10-16-2011, 01:50 AM)nackidno Wrote: But the material file is in the same directory :/ Still doesn't work >.<

Maybe the .mat file needs the same file name as the model (i.e. without the .dae extension, of course), or maybe the image format you're using for your texture(s) is unsupported. It may also be possible that you used multiple textures for the same one mesh (IIRC, only one texture per mesh is supported). This, assuming you didn't pick "decal" for the material type.

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2011, 01:57 AM by Your Computer.)
10-16-2011, 01:56 AM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Have you checked that the .mat file actually references to your diffuse file? 50% of the models I load needs manual editing of the .mat files.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

10-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

The room uses a single texture (a .dds file with the res of 512x512) Also, the material type is soliddiffuse. Both files have the same filename (Walls.mat and Walls.dae)

@Acies, I'll check that out, thanks. Smile Yes, it does refer to the correct file.

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2011, 02:04 AM by eliasfrost.)
10-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Find