Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Problem, help
Rakaesa Offline

Threads: 3
Strange Problem, help

---------FIXED------------

So, I've began development on a hopefully pretty cool and long story, but I won't give the details yet because it's in VERY early development stages (Like, the first room.)

But I've ran in to a problem that may prevent me from continuing the map.

It started when I tried to create notes. I had this problem once but ignored it because I was just practicing with the editor, so I didn't think much of it at the time, but now it's a major issue.

So I looked at both Youtube tutorials and the actual editor wiki tutorial for creating notes with the extra.english.LANG file. Both tutorials were very similar, however not exactly the same, so I tried both.

I create the journal category and then I create the note, and assign the proper name of the note to the note paper object as suggested.

I pick up the paper, and the note is blank.

Now here comes the strange part.

So I went to the youtube tutorial and commented, asking for help, as I didn't know about these forums. Someone pmed me telling me he was good with the editor and asked me to send him the file over mediafire, so I did.

He said he found basically no problems with the script, and just added some indentation for me. I took the file from him and replaced it with my old one.

I pick up the note and change the journal name again, and it still doesn't work.

So I message him back again and he tells me to send him the entire folder for my custom story, which I do.

He tells me all the files (.hps, all the default ones and the extra.english.LANG) were perfectly fine, except for the fact I didn't have a "maps" folder to put the .hps and the map itself with that 3rd file in it. He said this could be the problem. So he put it in and sent the folder over mediafire again.

He told me he got it to work for him when he did this.

I Downloaded it, very hopeful that this was the obvious little problem I had overlooked. Made sure my note had the right name, saved the editor, went into the game--

It still didn't work.

So what I don't understand is how it can work for him, but not for me when he sends me the exact same folder he used for it.

I asked someone else I know, and he said it could be because it's not compatible with Windows 7. However, I googled it and it said that the editor should be compatible with windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit. It didn't specify if the code itself had to be changed to fit the software version, though.

So does anybody have any ideas as to why this strange problem is happening? If so, please help!

I've googled and asked everyone I know, nobody seems to have a solution. I don't want to throw this map out because I can't get notes in it, but I need notes for the storyline.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2011, 10:33 PM by Rakaesa.)
10-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Strange Problem, help

Could you zip it and upload?

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

10-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Find
Rakaesa Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Strange Problem, help

Actually I just fixed it, apparently if I start the map from the developer console this happens, but starting it from the menu does not.
10-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Find