Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Mac OS X Demo Now Available: Version 1.0.679 (Beta 2)
Logn Offline

Threads: 0
It fried my Keyboard

I have a Powerbook G4, 1Ghz, 768Mb ram, 60 Gig HD, 80 and 500 GIg HD External, an LG L1953T as a second monitor. OSX 10.4.9

An applekeyboard with the mouse in one port and the scanner in the other port.

I installed it and started it, I just saw the letter and the voice talked to me for less than a minute. Then it all freeze, after five minutes I forced quit via the keyboard on the PB.

When it started again the external keyboard didnt worked, the laser of the mouse was blinking, I restarted it again and kept doing the same. In order to have it work i had to disconect the scanner.

Logn
06-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Find
Architect Offline

RE: Mac OS X Demo Now Available (Beta 1)

Christian Wrote:I forgot to mention, it went black for me too when I went down the ladder the first time.
I had to force quit the game, but the second time it worked. I think I pressed escape to
skip the "audio cutscene".

That's a good tip! Thanks. I just tried it and it got me past the ladder shaft.
06-06-2007, 03:12 AM
Find
jester Offline

When I start up the game, the system mouse cursor remains on screen and won't go away. The game's mouse cursor appears and works as it should, but the normal system cursor remains motionless in the center of the screen. It's very distracting.

I've also had many of the same problems already described:

The game froze during the opening cutscene. Sure enough, setting UseThreading to false fixed this.

The room on the ship has all sorts of graphical glitches. Specifically, objects appear and disappear, most notably the rear wall.

The flashlight is dimmer than the glowstick. More specifically, the flashlight seems to create specular reflections, making all metal objects in the room very shiny, but has no diffuse component, and so doesn't actually make things any easier to see.

My system: MacOS 10.4.9, Dual 2.5 GHz G5, 1 GB Ram, ATI Radeon 9600 XT
06-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Find
Secutor Offline

Quote:When I start up the game, the system mouse cursor remains on screen and won't go away. The game's mouse cursor appears and works as it should, but the normal system cursor remains motionless in the center of the screen. It's very distracting.

this problem is ( at least in ut 99 and some other games ) caused by the divx codec.
maybe penumbra is affected too ?
06-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Find
TimBioSS Offline

Threads: 2

Hello.
I'm really surprised to see this beta version, it's really great.
I've got a Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo with an Ati X1600. I'm an official
Sony Beta tester, so i'm used to make detailed bugs report…
I'm preparing one, I'll send you one as soon as possible, with screens,
and technical explications of found bugs to save time.

See you soon !
06-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Find
Kenny Offline

Ok, I found out that Penumbra is playable without any graphic disturbances on an Ati X1600 if Shadows are disabled and Shadow Quality is set to low. Smile
As far as I played now the game looks really good!
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Find
TimBioSS Offline

Threads: 2

I tested the game on a Mac Mini, and the game can't launch after loading. It just results a black screen, sometimes with windy sound, but nothing else… Is the game compatible with GMA integrated graphics processors ? Otherwise, it works well on my Macbook pro, except the bedroom (invisible wall and objects
like the map), and except the shadows.
06-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

It does not work with any Intel cards, maybe the very latest but 99% sure they won't work either.
06-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Website Find
Black Smurf Offline

I really liked the Demo when I was playing it, but I've just seen the PC-Version which looks far better than the Mac-Version! I really hope this is because the problems with the ATI graphics card and remedied in the final version! Ok, the PC was much newer than my Powerbook and had a shiny new Nvidia graphics card - but the graphics are really worlds apart Sad

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is the fear of the unknown."
-- H.P.Lovecraft
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2007, 12:22 AM by fonzi.)
06-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

Yes, the graphics issues are known, and are being worked on.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
06-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Website Find