Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Unbirth HD Texture Pack (And how to make it not crash so much)
byth Offline

Threads: 1
Unbirth HD Texture Pack (And how to make it not crash so much)

So I wanted some practice working on textures, and I figure if you're going to play an unstable alpha you may as well play it with decent-looking textures, so I did this. They're not great (it's my first texture pack) but they are better Tongue. I don't think many will use it, but since it was a bunch of jpgs and I was learning, it was easy (and oddly therapeutic). You don't need the noise anymore (push n to turn it off). One of the posters is now readable with text I made all by myself (save the passage in the in-game description). Also the girl is no longer a blob of blur.

Almost every texture in the game's been enhanced, and a handful now have better, correct, or totally new bump maps. The fence in the first area also now works like fences should. And I checked under the grate in the warehouse, there's nothing down there.

If by chance you don't know about Unbirth, look here: http://unbirth.frictionalgames.com/

Video (sorry about the crappy framerate): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo_ZNHeQF...ture=feedu
In the related video there are places showing some of the same places, you can use those for comparison. Also, this video doesn't show the very last version of the pack, so some of it will look even better (particularly the wood).

And a crappy download: http://www.filefactory.com/file/ce63566/n/textures.zip
Just scroll down and choose slow download. When I'm back at the dorms with my fast connection I'll put it on a much better site (I didn't realize just how bad this one was). This one's at 250kbps, so it should take 20 minutes.

And a few notes to those who want to play Unbirth and use the pack: Set the properties for the Unbirth_test folder to have "read only" off. Unzip (right-click extract) the textures, and copy them into the Unbirth_test folder ("copy and replace" if a window opens up). Run Unbirth in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Properties>compatibility).

Sometimes the game will crash when going between levels. To circumvent this you can load the levels directly. For example, at the end of the basement (with the stairs leading up) it will occasionally crash at that door. The proper next map here is house1/garden. Open the console (push ~) and type sans quotation marks "map house1/garden". If there's any interest I can compile a list of the maps in succession so you can go through the game without crashing (I have NEVER had it crash when I load the map directly).

Also, if you want to play in your own resolution, open the "misc" folder in Unbirth_test and open default.cfg with notepad. Change the height and width, make sure fullscreen=true, and the game will scale it very nicely.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2011, 07:04 PM by byth.)
10-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19
RE: Unbirth HD Texture Pack (And how to make it not crash so much)

This is cool, I´m gonna check this out later when I have time. I appreciate the effort you've put into this, thanks.

There is a guy working on an Unbirth conversion for Amnesia, maybe you two could cooperate?
10-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(10-28-2011, 02:53 PM)spukrian Wrote: This is cool, I´m gonna check this out later when I have time. I appreciate the effort you've put into this, thanks.

There is a guy working on an Unbirth conversion for Amnesia, maybe you two could cooperate?
we are but at the moment the mod is on halt until Q2 2012 when it will be continued.

10-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Find
byth Offline

Thanks sprukrian!

And yeah, I actually contacted plutomaniac before I even released the pack.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2011, 05:04 PM by byth.)
10-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I applaud every effort to make the Unbirth game smoothly playable. I'm sure a perfect build/TC mod will be completed by the community long before I feel the need to slog through the current buggy tech demo.
10-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Find
byth Offline

(10-29-2011, 08:15 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: I applaud every effort to make the Unbirth game smoothly playable. I'm sure a perfect build/TC mod will be completed by the community long before I feel the need to slog through the current buggy tech demo.
Eh, it's at least worth a look. It's never crashed so hard I had to reboot, and it is actually pretty scary on occasion.

10-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Find