Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Crackly Sound
stonedyak Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Crackly Sound

I'm experiencing 'crackly' sound while playing the game. Sorry, I'm not sure how better to describe it :-) It's most noticeable during the music when the game starts and during Philip's voiceover in the intro. The crackle is present during the whole game, though it's not so noticeable and I got used to it.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04, my sound card is onboard my Gigabyte motherboard - described by the system as '82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller'. The driver used is 'HDA Intel' . I'm running a fast Core 2 Duo with a decent graphics card, so speed is definitely not a problem. I don't get any audio problems with any other apps. However, I did install Neverball (another OpenGL / OpenAL / SDL app) and it had exactly the same audio problems.

So I guess it may be a bug in the libraries or Ubuntu, but I thought I'd mention it since it does give a bit of a bad impression when first running the game.
06-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Crackly Sound

stonedyak Wrote:I'm experiencing 'crackly' sound while playing the game. Sorry, I'm not sure how better to describe it :-) It's most noticeable during the music when the game starts and during Philip's voiceover in the intro. The crackle is present during the whole game, though it's not so noticeable and I got used to it.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04, my sound card is onboard my Gigabyte motherboard - described by the system as '82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller'. The driver used is 'HDA Intel' . I'm running a fast Core 2 Duo with a decent graphics card, so speed is definitely not a problem. I don't get any audio problems with any other apps. However, I did install Neverball (another OpenGL / OpenAL / SDL app) and it had exactly the same audio problems.

So I guess it may be a bug in the libraries or Ubuntu, but I thought I'd mention it since it does give a bit of a bad impression when first running the game.

I get that or something like that, every so often, mostly when I hear dialog, it lasts for 3-5 seconds, then goes away.
I use mandriva 2007.1 spring. don't really know my soundcard, it's onboard, about all i know.
06-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

I'm experiencing 'crackly' sound while playing the game.

Stop sitting on mirrors =/

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
06-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

WindexGlow Wrote:I'm experiencing 'crackly' sound while playing the game.

Stop sitting on mirrors =/

it's the only way to play though
06-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Find
elsenator Offline

Threads: 1

I'm experiencing the same thing on my M-Audio Audiophile 2496. It's crackling and fizzing all the friggin' time. I've tried telling OpenAL to use Alsa, but the problem persists. It seems to be a problem with the sample conversion on my sound card. There doesn't seem to be a way to fix it. Or, it seems that it is not game related, since i experience this with other games that use OpenAL too.
06-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Find
terrax121 Offline

Threads: 0

I have fixed the problem, which is related to a kernel / alsa / sdl-mixer bug, with a workaround.

1. Make a file in your home dir, called.asoundrc
nano ~./asoundrc

And copy this into the file:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

2. Make sure you got this package installed libsdl1.2debian-alsa:
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-alsa

3. Turn the systems volume up to 100%, for an example in alsamixer or kmix or whatsoever.

That actually fixed the crackling sound problem for me.

BTW I also compiled the newest 1.0.14 alsa on my system. But I don't think it won't work on the alsa version shipped with fiesty.
06-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Find
mapster Offline

Threads: 0

terrax121 Wrote:I have fixed the problem, which is related to a kernel / alsa / sdl-mixer bug, with a workaround.

1. Make a file in your home dir, called.asoundrc
nano ~./asoundrc

And copy this into the file:
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

2. Make sure you got this package installed libsdl1.2debian-alsa:
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-alsa

3. Turn the systems volume up to 100%, for an example in alsamixer or kmix or whatsoever.

That actually fixed the crackling sound problem for me.

BTW I also compiled the newest 1.0.14 alsa on my system. But I don't think it won't work on the alsa version shipped with fiesty.

Really nice! That fixed it Big Grin
been looking everywhere for a fix for that
06-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Find