Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What's your Operating System?
zeb Offline

Threads: 2
RE: What's your Operating System?

Mandriva Linux 2008 Cooker (development version) / Kubuntu Linux
and eagerly waiting for the Linux release of the second episode of Penumbra...
03-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Find
Battlefrank Offline

Threads: 4

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:
Dark Wrote:yes and its spam

on topic: i run windows just cuz everything works on it (works as in avaiable Wink)

that's why I run linux. Before I gave up my copy of Windows, hardly anything ran on it. I admit, XP was nice, but not XP Pro x64. I have far less headaches with linux

But you can't play many games on linux!
04-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Website Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

you can play more than you think, 99% of the games I owned can be played well on Linux, those were American McGee's Alice, doom 3, doom 3 ROE, Descent 3, Call of Duty, Call of Duty UO, Call of Duty 2, and I know Call of Duty 4 works, I just haven't gotten it going yet.
Penumbra Black Plague is really the only one, and I know that will be available for Linux someday.
but even if Linux couldn't play games, I'd rather deal with no headaches than several.

update: http://www.liflg.org - site with some games that you can play using the games specific loki instaler

http://www.winehq.org - a site that shows several games that work well under wine.

http://www.cedega.com - a site as well that shows several games; this you have to pay for; $15 I believe
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2008, 12:15 PM by Greatred.)
04-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Find
Battlefrank Offline

Threads: 4

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:you can play more than you think, 99% of the games I owned can be played well on Linux, those were American McGee's Alice, doom 3, doom 3 ROE, Descent 3, Call of Duty, Call of Duty UO, Call of Duty 2, and I know Call of Duty 4 works, I just haven't gotten it going yet.
Penumbra Black Plague is really the only one, and I know that will be available for Linux someday.
but even if Linux couldn't play games, I'd rather deal with no headaches than several.

update: http://www.liflg.org - site with some games that you can play using the games specific loki instaler

http://www.winehq.org - a site that shows several games that work well under wine.

http://www.cedega.com - a site as well that shows several games; this you have to pay for; $15 I believe
Well, Linux sent me into lots of frustration and I could run 5% of the games I had... And yes I used wine
04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Website Find
thechef Offline

Threads: 5

I use debian etch everywhere, except for the Notebook where I have a beta operating system installed (Ubuntu Hardy)

I have about 75 commercial games installed. There is only 1 game I couldn't get to run yet (Gothic 3, and only if you don't count BP). On the other hand there is more than one game that didn't run on windows and most ran worse - however i had tons of problems with windows - i was actually never happy with it. (Performance (especially filesystem, multitasking, desktop performance), Settings dependability (refresh rate, forced to reinstall drivers very often), dependability(weird task manager behaviour, weird unclosable windows, software packages), stability(sudden restarts), flexibility (replaced mainboard -> bluescreen), modularity (Difficult/Impossible to replace system components with different implementation/software), usability (Software installation, multimedia capabilities)). About everything is better with debian etch, much better. I'm really happy, to have an operating system that just works and increases my productivity. It was 3 years ago, when I noticed that Debian is (or became) very attractive software. (And Ubuntu is nice too btw).
04-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

everyone is different. some like Windows more, some like Linux more. I got tired of the viruses and other various types of viruses and trojans and having to download patches and SP's, and if I get new hardware, I have to call Microsoft, tell them several upon several digits, then they tell me several more. and then I try getting one thing going, another thing gets disabled..sigh...
drove me MAD!
Linux is a peace of mind, to me anyway.
04-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Find
arch Offline

Threads: 0

I use Archlinux (64-bit). I once owned a copy of windows xp pro, and someone gave me a copy of vista, but I gave both of them away. With linux I can install all the packages I want, including the desktop environment. There are a few downsides to using this OS. Wine doesn't run as well out of the box as with ubuntu. Flashplayer and penumbra had some problems with 64-bit, but once I installed the necessary 32-bit libraries, they ran fine. The drawbacks are nothing compared to what I experienced with windows.
05-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Wow! This is getting bigger all the time!

Now the votes are:

Windows - 43
Linux - 38
Mac - 6

11-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Website Find
Linux.Blue Offline

arch Wrote:I use Archlinux (64-bit). I once owned a copy of windows xp pro, and someone gave me a copy of vista, but I gave both of them away. With linux I can install all the packages I want, including the desktop environment. There are a few downsides to using this OS. Wine doesn't run as well out of the box as with ubuntu. Flashplayer and penumbra had some problems with 64-bit, but once I installed the necessary 32-bit libraries, they ran fine. The drawbacks are nothing compared to what I experienced with windows.

I'm the same way. Maybe Windows is BETTER supported. MAYBE nearly everything is for Windows, but it still doesn't outweigh Linux. I LOVE Linux. There are so many things I love about the distro (Mine being Mandriva). I had gotten a copy of Windows and installed it two nights ago (XP Home), and last night, boom, a virus. A so called anti-virus pops up wanting me to pay to clear out viruses. DAY TWO! that's it, two days, and already Windows is frustrating.
11-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Find
Fatbaticus Offline

Threads: 16

Meh, Windows Xp I know windows vista looks flash. But it slows my pc down like a tractor.

/palmtoface
11-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Find