Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surround Sound - Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3
Nemesis101 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Surround Sound - Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3

Hi,

I've spent the last couple of days trying everything possible to get surround sound working with my Asus Xonar card but no matter what settings or changes I make it will only output in stereo. I have tried everything in the surround sound tips thread - http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4313.html , searched the forum and Google and can find nothing on resolving this issue.

Surround Sound works fine with all other games I've tried - only this one is causing problems, (and of course this game in particular needs surround sound more than any other).

These are the devices I have listed in the HPL.log, (every one of them has the same results - stereo only):

Available OpenAL devices:
0. DirectSound Default
1. Speakers (ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Audio Device) via DirectSound
2. S/PDIF Pass-through Device (ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Audio Device) via DirectSound
3. WaveOut Default
4. Speakers (ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 A via WaveOut
5. S/PDIF Pass-through Device (ASU via WaveOut
6. No Output
7. Generic Software on Speakers (ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Audio Device)(OpenAL default)
8. Generic Software on S/PDIF Pass-through Device (ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Audio Device)

Now my soundcard is connected to an external AV receiver which displays the input channels it is receiving - normally displaying 5.1. As soon as the Amnesia launcher comes up, (ie even before the main game) the Receiver switches to 2.0. If I close the launcher, it reverts to 5.1. I've even tried setting my soundcard to DTS Connect & Dolby Digital Live which encapsulates all sound into 5.1, (this works perfectly for all other games) but again only stereo is output in-game.

If anyone can offer any tips or advice I would be so grateful - it's driving me mad and DD Pro Logic simulated surround is just not the same.

Many Thanks

I should probably add I'm using Win7 64-bit, NVidia GTX580 and on an Intel Core i7.

OK, found the solution and is basically down to my oversight - I've not had this soundcard all that long.

This only applies to anyone with this particular soundcard range but I'll post it in case anyone else encounters problems...

Simply enable GX DSP Mode on the HDAV Control Panel - I believe this is the Asus Xonar's equivalent of Creative's ALChemy. However all games I'd played so far had not required it. Very simple solution that it carelessly took me over 2 days to find, (but at least I'll now only be going insane within the game itself).
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2011, 11:38 PM by Nemesis101.)
11-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Find