Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Multiple Textures on a Single Entity
Krymtel Offline

Threads: 9
Question  Using Multiple Textures on a Single Entity

Hi guys,

I've been wondering whether or not HPL2 can handle multiple textures on a single entity. At the wiki, I read some tutorials that stated it's not supported by HPL2, however when I look at some of the games entities I can clearly see some of them using multiple textures. The best example of this is the Grunt and how it is one entity with two textures, one of them being its hair and the other being the rest of its body. It would be great to hear what you all know Smile

Eidolon Total Conversion (WIP)
11-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Using Multiple Textures on a Single Entity

You can use one texture for one mesh. Depending on what you're making you may export several meshes; all with different textures. It doesn't matter that much though, since you may have all types of "materials" - wood, metal etc. in one texture and then differentiate them with different exposures on the specular map.

1. What are you trying to make?
2. Do you know your way around modeling? :>

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

11-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

If you notice, the grunt's hair is actually a separate mesh from the grunt's body mesh, not two textures on one mesh but one texture per mesh.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Website Find
Krymtel Offline

(11-27-2011, 06:19 PM)Acies Wrote: You can use one texture for one mesh. Depending on what you're making you may export several meshes; all with different textures. It doesn't matter that much though, since you may have all types of "materials" - wood, metal etc. in one texture and then differentiate them with different exposures on the specular map.

I'm just curious about the whole thing just in case I run into a situation where I need to use two textures for a single entity. I'm still a beginner at modelling. All I can really model are simple things.
(11-27-2011, 07:20 PM)Your Computer Wrote: If you notice, the grunt's hair is actually a separate mesh from the grunt's body mesh, not two textures on one mesh but one texture per mesh.
Well, the thing is, I've experimented with things like this and I can't manage to get them to work in Amnesia. For example, a mans arm is one mesh and a flashlight is another, if I export that as a single .dae file, I won't be able to have one texture for the arm and one for the flashlight. I've tried that before with disastrous results Confused

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2011, 08:00 PM by Krymtel.)
11-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(11-27-2011, 07:57 PM)Krymtel Wrote:
(11-27-2011, 06:19 PM)Acies Wrote: You can use one texture for one mesh. Depending on what you're making you may export several meshes; all with different textures. It doesn't matter that much though, since you may have all types of "materials" - wood, metal etc. in one texture and then differentiate them with different exposures on the specular map.

I'm just curious about the whole thing just in case I run into a situation where I need to use two textures for a single entity. I'm still a beginner at modelling. All I can really model are simple things.
In that case it might be interesting for you to look at the three basic guides I've made:
Modeling, texturing and animating.

You can find them in the "guides section". Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

11-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

Even if a game supported multiple textures, it's not good practice (except maybe for some sorts of complex animated textures).

Models seem to have separate textures because they are distinguished by UV's. For these models, the texture itself is one photo with a bunch of different textures lined up against each other. The UV coordinates are used to tell the model where the texture goes on specific parts of the model, and which part of the photo the model will use for that part.
11-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Find
Krymtel Offline

(11-27-2011, 09:45 PM)MrBigzy Wrote: Even if a game supported multiple textures, it's not good practice (except maybe for some sorts of complex animated textures).

Models seem to have separate textures because they are distinguished by UV's. For these models, the texture itself is one photo with a bunch of different textures lined up against each other. The UV coordinates are used to tell the model where the texture goes on specific parts of the model, and which part of the photo the model will use for that part.
I know that, but I was just wondering how to do it. It's actually done often in most modern games BTW.

11-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Find
Krymtel Offline

(11-27-2011, 09:22 PM)Acies Wrote:
(11-27-2011, 07:57 PM)Krymtel Wrote:

In that case it might be interesting for you to look at the three basic guides I've made:
Modeling, texturing and animating.

You can find them in the "guides section". Smile

Alright, cool Big Grin

11-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Find