Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

@endosine, well, that's a bit crazy if you're talking about Gigabytes. I presume you should check out if there are .cache files left. They are extremely big size and useless.

(10-12-2013, 08:21 PM)The chaser Wrote: The thing is to always use the original assets when you can. If not, then go custom.

Really? Why is that so? I can't imagine any objective arguments. I would rather play small but full of custom textures and models mod, then "I've seen all that stuff for 1 and 1000 times". Something new is always something new, it attracts your attention uncousinly.

For example the Great Work mod utilizes not so much of customs, but custom monsters did their job, without them alone I am sure the Great Work could be a lot less unique, impressive and memorable. And I do believe that if the Great Work would contain 30-40% of new environment assets or just items it could be indescribably better, a lot more "unique, impressive and memorable". At least that's my personal and honest opinion.

Anyway, I am not stating on anything. It's really just a question and I am really confused, why is that so that "The thing is to always use the original assets when you can".
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2013, 09:29 PM by Alex Ros.)
10-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Website Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 17

(10-12-2013, 09:14 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: @endosine, well, that's a bit crazy if you're talking about Gigabytes. I presume you should check out if there are .cache files left. They are extremely big size and useless.

yeah those files are a massive pain in the ass. it's because of the AMFP Entities.

The International Narcotics Traffic
10-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(10-12-2013, 09:14 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: @endosine, well, that's a bit crazy if you're talking about Gigabytes. I presume you should check out if there are .cache files left. They are extremely big size and useless.

(10-12-2013, 08:21 PM)The chaser Wrote: The thing is to always use the original assets when you can. If not, then go custom.

Really? Why is that so? I can't imagine any objective arguments. I would rather play small but full of custom textures and models mod, then "I've seen all that stuff for 1 and 1000 times". Something new is always something new, it attracts your attention uncousinly.

For example the Great Work mod utilizes not so much of customs, but custom monsters did their job, without them alone I am sure the Great Work could be a lot less unique, impressive and memorable. And I do believe that if the Great Work would contain 30-40% of new environment assets or just items it could be indescribably better, a lot more "unique, impressive and memorable". At least that's my personal and honest opinion.

Anyway, I am not stating on anything. It's really just a question and I am really confused, why is that so that "The thing is to always use the original assets when you can".

Maybe I said it wrong:

"The thing is to use the original assets when you can, but if you feel that your environment needs something new, go for it"

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

(10-12-2013, 10:09 PM)The chaser Wrote:

Maybe I said it wrong:

"The thing is to use the original assets when you can, but if you feel that your environment needs something new, go for it"
that i will agree with 100%
AMFP Assets actually sort of saved the development of my fc.

So i decided to try and make my own assets... in maya 2011.

My first go at Maya and i make this demented moose thing
[Image: 4pz4Rac.png]
[Image: bME4Vuj.png]

i'm too embarrassed to say what the back looks like...

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2013, 11:08 PM by Gilligan's Hell.)
10-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(10-12-2013, 10:33 PM)endosine Wrote:
(10-12-2013, 10:09 PM)The chaser Wrote:

Maybe I said it wrong:

that i will agree with 100%
AMFP Assets actually sort of saved the development of my fc.

So i decided to try and make my own assets... in maya 2011.

My first go at Maya and i make this demented moose thing
[Image: 4pz4Rac.png]
[Image: bME4Vuj.png]

i'm too embarrassed to say what the back looks like...

Heh, sometimes when I'm bored I do weird stuff in Blender:

http://i.imgur.com/kVUgmd8.png

I understand very well how you feel.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
10-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

yeah i still need to learn the basics then i can start making things... which will be in a month or two.

10-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(10-12-2013, 07:18 PM)Alex Ros Wrote:
(10-11-2013, 11:26 PM)Robosprog Wrote: [img]<screenshot>
<...>chemical experiments were conducted. And what is more important the room is made of wooden planks and wood is a material that is predisposed to absorb fumes and especially liquids. <...suggestions...> But as I remember original sets of decals, there's not be enough of decals with so much different shapes and settings <...more stuff...>
On that note, you could also use the static decals of the damaged cellar floor with liquid-y decals around it like the chemical caused corrosion :D

And yes, the glow does look better :p

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
10-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Your discussion made me check: Spacies has around 3,7 gb of custom content so far! Hopefully people will still download it lol Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2013, 12:46 AM by Acies.)
10-13-2013, 12:46 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Oh then, Acies could you mind:

My internet, as many know, doesn't work well (quite crappy). A lot of people have a slow connection like me, so you could do this thing:

Downloading 3.7 GB is a lot. How about you divide the downloads, like:

Mirror 1: Static objects
Mirror 2: Entities
Mirror 3: Maps, config and others
Mirror 4: Textures

So we could download them at different times? It would be very appreciated Smile

Of course, each one would have a step-by-step guide.

Or, making an installer (Servant's night, if I'm not mistaken, used an installer, although it wasn't really necessary).
EDIT: Windows 7/Vista has already a service called IExpress which automatically creates an installer. It might be useful for you Wink

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2013, 01:36 AM by The chaser.)
10-13-2013, 01:32 AM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

(10-12-2013, 11:32 PM)Robosprog Wrote: 3ds max is better.. buut if you started with maya it'll be a bitch to relearn.

I Actually don't see the difference between the two programs.

10-13-2013, 01:34 AM
Find