Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(10-13-2013, 01:34 AM)endosine Wrote:
(10-12-2013, 11:32 PM)Robosprog Wrote: 3ds max is better.. buut if you started with maya it'll be a bitch to relearn.

I Actually don't see the difference between the two programs.

You don't see it, but it's there. When you are in, you see that the typical buttons aren't where they should, or where you like. This happens with every program to make graphic design.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 17

(10-13-2013, 01:39 AM)The chaser Wrote:
(10-13-2013, 01:34 AM)endosine Wrote:
(10-12-2013, 11:32 PM)Robosprog Wrote: 3ds max is better.. buut if you started with maya it'll be a bitch to relearn.

I Actually don't see the difference between the two programs.

You don't see it, but it's there. When you are in, you see that the typical buttons aren't where they should, or where you like. This happens with every program to make graphic design.

Yeah i noticed that with 3ds when i tested it. I'm getting used to maya.
The two still get the same results i guess.

The International Narcotics Traffic
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2013, 01:51 AM by Gilligan's Hell.)
10-13-2013, 01:46 AM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

Screenshots! These are form a project that has not yet been announced so they still have a lot of work to be done with them. But I thought I could post them here anyways. Smile

(There's 3 pictures so I though I'd place them inside spoiler tags so they don't cover everything...)
Spoiler below!

[Image: O35YrnW.jpg]
[Image: 8tGVNfh.jpg]
[Image: mYba7Ke.jpg]

- Inactive account -
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2013, 09:59 PM by Artyom.)
10-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

Spoiler below!

(10-16-2013, 10:06 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Last is way too dark, can see fuck all.

First two, overall, look good (though pretty bland colors) however - where the hell does that blob of light on the first pic come from?

I'd suggest adding dirt floors (01) under the tables etc to create the effect of dust as well as fake shadows. Add actual, proper lighting to first pic, some stuff on top of crates/lockers in first pic, second - more stuff on wall, maybe a bulletin board near the windows? Also make colors in second pic slightly less grey, seriously have a tad of color in there too, a slight xenon blue tinge/yellowy light or something.

The "blob" of light is from a lantern, forgot to remove it when I took the screenshot. Also I usually make very detailed map but this one is going to be huge, so I've cut down a lot on details. The reason for it being huge is that I'm making a one map mod. (further info is yet to be announced)

Also the last one is taken inside of a server room (which often is very dark) Also the screenshot thing darkens the pictures a lot.

I'd do all the things you said but as mentioned before I have to keep it simple.

- Inactive account -
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2013, 10:15 PM by Artyom.)
10-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

Spoiler below!

(10-16-2013, 10:26 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Trust me, dirt static decals don't affect optimization - speaking from experience here, if you want to add a ton of details just uses static entities, barely impact performance at all. If you really want to keep performance good focus on getting the most out of the least lights and particles, and use decals only where necessary.

Alright I will keep this in mind, thanks!

- Inactive account -
10-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

(10-16-2013, 10:14 PM)Zandrojakov Wrote: ...I usually make very detailed map but this one is going to be huge, so I've cut down a lot on details. The reason for it being huge is that I'm making a one map mod...

What for? Just one map mod for one map mod? Or such a decision was made because of specific artistic reason?

I am asking just because you told by yourself you had to cut "a lot of details". I personally would prefer 2-3 detailed maps rather then 1 huge and less detailed. So what's reason of making 1 huge map and as a result cutting details? Is there really some objective reason in doing so?

I presume you're doing so because of immersion breaking on loading in between maps. Is that the reason?
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013, 10:37 AM by Alex Ros.)
10-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Website Find
Artyom Offline

Spoiler below!

(10-17-2013, 10:33 AM)Alex Ros Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 10:14 PM)Zandrojakov Wrote: ...I usually make very detailed map but this one is going to be huge, so I've cut down a lot on details. The reason for it being huge is that I'm making a one map mod...

What for? Just one map mod for one map mod? Or such a decision was made because of specific artistic reason?

I am asking just because you told by yourself you had to cut "a lot of details". I personally would prefer 2-3 detailed maps rather then 1 huge and less detailed. So what's reason of making 1 huge map and as a result cutting details? Is there really some objective reason in doing so?

I presume you're doing so because of immersion breaking on loading in between maps. Is that the reason?

I'd love to tell you but, as I mentioned in the post it's not a confirmed mod. Anyways I guess I can tell you a few things but remember that non of these things are absolutely certain. Anyways here goes:

You play as a security guard at a prison/research facility.
The mod is taking place from evening to morning.
Anyways of course things start happening and you need to go check it out.

The whole point of having it as one map is the coding. Every person will have a different experience playing the mod. For example Usually when I place out monster I only have one or two possible ones, but one this map there's around four possible monster spawns, for some people he may spawn behind the player, for some in front etc etc. (this applies for all events occurring in the map.)

There is around 20 possible events that can occur at any time atm.

This makes every player get a different experience playing the mod. Due to the whole random event feature. Some people may be lucky and get the least difficult parts, and some will get the more complicated gameplay.

Hope this cleared a few things out for ya. Also I will make a thread after I've decided whether this should actually be a mod or not. (It's very experimental, and I'm limited on spare time)

- Inactive account -
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013, 11:19 AM by Artyom.)
10-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

(10-17-2013, 11:18 AM)Zandrojakov Wrote: ...The whole point of having it as one map is the coding. Every person will have a different experience playing the mod. For example Usually when I place out monster I only have one or two possible ones, but one this map there's around four possible monster spawns...
Oookey, I got your point. But I think it's the matter of well-thought-out level design, not the matter if there are 1 or more locations. I think think you could achieve absolutely same result with a bunch of maps, not a single one. Am I so wrong?

Anyway, it's up to you what and how to do. And I wish you sincerely good luck with whatever you're working on.
10-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Website Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I think Bitterwood Peak created quite a lot of fear by using the one map thing. I was allways paranoid a dog would show up.(Bitterwood peak was actually more then one map, but the mansion/lodge was pretty large)
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM by WALP.)
10-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

Spoiler below!

(10-17-2013, 12:20 PM)Alex Ros Wrote:
(10-17-2013, 11:18 AM)Zandrojakov Wrote: ...The whole point of having it as one map is the coding. Every person will have a different experience playing the mod. For example Usually when I place out monster I only have one or two possible ones, but one this map there's around four possible monster spawns...
Oookey, I got your point. But I think it's the matter of well-thought-out level design, not the matter if there are 1 or more locations. I think think you could achieve absolutely same result with a bunch of maps, not a single one. Am I so wrong?

Anyway, it's up to you what and how to do. And I wish you sincerely good luck with whatever you're working on.

It's a very short story and I don't have time or energy to create more than one map. Also the map is detailed just not as detailed as I usually do them.

(also about the random thing, difficult to explain but it has to be one map otherwise the immersion would break)

- Inactive account -
10-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Find