Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(10-17-2013, 12:26 PM)The Mug Wrote: I think Bitterwood Peak created quite a lot of fear by using the one map thing. I was allways paranoid a dog would show up.(Bitterwood peak was actually more then one map, but the mansion/lodge was pretty large)
That's why I was asking if there is a artistic reason in making one solid map or it's just some sort of "I just want it that way". In Bitterwood peak even the loading in between interior and balcony was ruining immersion. So there was a real artistic reason to make it as one solid map. And seems like Zandrojakov also do have strictly artistic reasons for making one map. That's cool. I accept that with all my heart.

I just do not like when people doing things that seems to be good, but doing them without real reasons in fact. Of course one map without any loading screens is better. But it's better to make 100 maps than a single 1 if there is no real reason in merging maps. Just like special effects in Hollywood movies which most of times are just special effects for nothing. We can do that and that's why we do that. We are cool! That's a bad reason.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013, 02:37 PM by Alex Ros.)
10-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Website Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

I create a one map for my CS too. Probably because:
- Ruins Immersion
- Outside map can be viewed from the Inside
- Coding
- Making sure they didn't overlap

So yeah.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
10-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

i'm just going on record as saying that making everything as one map is a huge mistake and will cause you headaches as you inevitably go "oh shit the engine can't handle this anymore, i need to cut it up into different maps" and then you have to figure out how the fuck to do that.

BWP initially started out as one map, and I actually had everything completely finalized AS one map, but when I gave it to people for testing, massive shitstorms started flying everywhere. :<

[Image: signature-2.png]
10-18-2013, 03:39 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

^
I've actually done that, it isn't really that hard. You just don't want to do select-drag and delete since it goes through every layer, and tends to pick up more objects that you would like it to.

I still think I got the original map that I had before I cut it up, just in-case something went wrong.

So spend a hour doing it and you will be fine.
10-18-2013, 04:22 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(10-17-2013, 02:54 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: I create a one map for my CS too. Probably because:
- Ruins Immersion
- Outside map can be viewed from the Inside
- Coding
- Making sure they didn't overlap

I just set specific axes as cardinal directions (NESW) and make sure that I don't have a wall which had windows in one room lead to a gigantic library of another map. It's not too hard to keep track of if you use a bit of grid paper and patience :D

Personally, I think I chop things up a little bit more than I might need to in some areas, so I'm trying to break out of that habit.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
10-18-2013, 05:45 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Playing around with new assets.
Spoiler below!

[Image: DIIzYUD.jpg]

[Image: KiSPFLZ.jpg]

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
10-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Very nice and dim. The lights in the back of the second picture doesn't seem to emit enough light though. Maybe give it a lighter pointlight Smile

Trying is the first step to success.
10-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Something like this then
Spoiler below!

[Image: wAYUPZr.jpg]

[Image: vL7mfym.jpg]

May have to modify the lights on the lower wall due to the sound they're emitting.

A Christmas Hunt
10-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Find
Zokrar Offline

Threads: 16

Tried making my own grass plane... does this look 'too' detailed? Something seems off about it to me.

[Image: 9vjJRJB.png]

10-21-2013, 12:34 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

To me it looks like pine needles.

A Christmas Hunt
10-21-2013, 12:42 AM
Find