Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Nikson. Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(04-04-2014, 08:21 PM)RaideX Wrote:
Quote:I like it! But i think these candles are a little bit to bright in confront to the wall, i would delete them and add a window or something, the font fits well i think.

What do you mean by that?

The color light of the candles or the billboards in the back?

Putting even more windows into the alley would seem kind of unnecessary because there need to be SOME sort of light source down there Tongue.

I'll tinker a bit with the color brightness of the candle's pointlight and will report back. Smile

You could turn off some of them because the blue light looks like there is some natural light source, it looks very pretty tough. Add some boxes maybe and some particles and it will be nice.
04-05-2014, 06:27 AM
Find
RaideX Offline

Threads: 33

Alrighty. Made some changes. The final choice was to not change any of the physical lights but to go for more detail on the ground and darker spotlights with a bit more dust to better emphasize the windows behind the logo.

Maybe it got better. Maybe it got worse. Tongue

Again, i'm up for productive criticism.

Spoiler below!

Video for reference and for a better view at the particles and the overall flow.

If you don't draw first, you don't get to draw at all... -The False Shepherd
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014, 11:47 AM by RaideX.)
04-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Find
Nikson. Offline

Threads: 22

(04-05-2014, 11:46 AM)RaideX Wrote: Alrighty. Made some changes. The final choice was to not change any of the physical lights but to go for more detail on the ground and darker spotlights with a bit more dust to better emphasize the windows behind the logo.

Spoiler below!
Video for reference and for a better view at the particles and the overall flow.

That's already a lot better, but you could make it better in two ways, you can add a window instead of the candles, or change the blue light in a more yellow one because it's a little strange like that.
04-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Find
Solarflaire Offline

Threads: 3

(04-05-2014, 11:46 AM)RaideX Wrote: Alrighty. Made some changes. The final choice was to not change any of the physical lights but to go for more detail on the ground and darker spotlights with a bit more dust to better emphasize the windows behind the logo.

Spoiler below!

Looks kinda meh... mainly due to the big contrast difference between the right and left side of the picture.
Also the texture on the wall is a bit too lowres.

I would suggest you to move a bit more into the middle of the shot so you don't get the contrast difference, as well as decreasing the light of the candle (perhaps remove it or use the orange glowing one)

Other than that I think it looks alright. Smile
04-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Find
daortir Offline

Threads: 9

Looks good imo, the issue to me is that you do a big sort of zoom on a candle and a wall who don't really have the highest resolution/detail level. It makes the shot look a bit akward, since 30% of the screen is taken by that candle and the low-res wall : /.

I think the mapping / lighting is fine but I can't really tell because a lot of the attention is drawn to the candle ^^.

04-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Find
RaideX Offline

Threads: 33

Yeh, i know of these problems.

I'd have to make a new model or texture (higher res) for the close up things like the wall and the candle.

The whole idea behind the shot is to have some kind of perspective change with stuff in the foreground and the title parallel to the hallway in the background.

I have since changed it a little bit. Video link

That'll the the final version of THIS scene. I might just start the main menu from scratch to get something better done. I'm not sure yet.

If you don't draw first, you don't get to draw at all... -The False Shepherd
04-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 17

(04-03-2014, 07:37 PM)Lazzer Wrote:
(04-03-2014, 04:22 PM)endosine Wrote: Well the map was updated earlier today and more lights where added.
[Image: tunnels_by_echohalls-d7cv3il.jpg]
[Image: Screen_Screenshot_042.1.jpg]

So Amnesia IHM isn't cancelled? Glad to see that you are working on it again!
The screenshots are looking very prommising, keep it up!

The mod was on a very long hold due to personal issues but then I got help by a fellow member who made some maps (including the amazing tunnels map) and threw in some interesting and downright eerie ideas of IHM.

More screenies will appear soon hopefully...

Spoiler below!
[Image: Screen_Screenshot_044.jpg] Fixed those fuckering boxes... -_-

The International Narcotics Traffic
04-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Looking good, Endo c:

The lights might be a bit dim (try adding large pointlights to them with a dark colour) - or could be my screen. I'm sitting in a rather sunny area, so it's hard to tell ^^" Either way, I'm glad to see some maps and progress from you on here; it's been too long :

Argh, I don't want to double post, but I want these to be seen D:
Spoiler below!

[Image: dd_00_incomplete_by_rueppells_fox-d7e3nbw.png]

As you probably noticed, they're incomplete (decals, a few lights, sexy/non-lazy billboards, and a ceiling are all missing) - but what do you think of the layout and the idea behind the room - does it seem reasonable? I tend to become blind to my maps' problems after working on them for a while, so I'd love any advice c:

Not intended to be a map where a lot of time is spent... actually I wasn't expecting it to take me more than an hour to make it... and I got carried away (it's been over 5 hours now).

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014, 06:58 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
04-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

"I don't want to double post"

< less than 10 minutes later>

Dammit, I give in. Pay attention to me :p

(edited to remove the darn emotes >.> again)

I have screenshots and cookies on the previous page c: and so does Endo

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014, 07:12 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
04-12-2014, 07:11 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

first one is kind of bland imo. it's not really anything specifically ~wrong~ with it its moreso that theres just not...... a whole lot interesting going on lol. like it seems more of a side room that you'd put in to add more depth to a map without a whole lot of work put into it rather than something really impressive looking that you'd screenshot u feel me

i think a lot of it has to do with how the rooms shaped (its basically just a standard square room) - having more than just 2 sets of parallel walls will make a room more interesting like 90% of the time. maybe try insetting a few of the walls or making some of them angled or something like that??? dunno just some ideas

only other thing i can really pin down is that the lighting doesn't seem like it had a whole lot of thought put into it, like there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of dynamics or contrast or flow to the lighting. like it just feels like you plopped a few candles down without a whole lot of thought into how they would work with the scene ya know

the whole left side and the floor seems to be lacking a good deal of detail too

like i said none of those things are necessarily inherently BAD its just it makes it seem like more of an add on room rather than something that you'd really want to show off via screenshot lol

second one however looks incredible - don't really have anything to say other than maybe add some more interesting billboards (which you mentioned so i'd assume you're already on top of)

Posting Freak
04-13-2014, 02:26 AM
Website Find