Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Reminiscity Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

[Image: library_1.2.jpg]

My mod Amadeus
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2015, 12:45 PM by Reminiscity.)
06-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(06-20-2015, 12:43 PM)Reminiscity Wrote: [Image: library_1.2.jpg]

Goregous. If you could add some orange-ish fog to that, that would look amazingly well.
06-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Find
Reminiscity Offline

Threads: 16

(06-21-2015, 04:27 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(06-20-2015, 12:43 PM)Reminiscity Wrote: [Image: library_1.2.jpg]

You could do a lot more with that - first of all, all the lamps aren't emitting enough light, especially on the upper levels. There should be some slight light from the lamps on the pillars on either side of them. Adding to that - it's repetitive, introduce some asymmetry, have one or two lights turned off, maybe one's flickering or slightly weaker than the other lights. The light in the sky is practically non existent - even on the darkest nights the sky is still relatively bright. I'd use a lighter colour on it to bring out the navy colour more so that it also contrasts with the yellowy lights inside - blue and yellow/orange is overused though.

Example of victorian london at night:
Spoiler below!

[Image: london2.jpg?744]

Example of a forest at night:
Spoiler below!

[Image: dark-forest-night-image-31001-large-jpg.jpg]

The light on the angel is good - illuminates just enough to let you see the features, but not enough to reveal it's flaws. Good work on that. I'd also add that the green lamps do not emit enough light either - and that would be a VERY cool effect to see, these creepy, grungy lights just illuminating the dark above you.

For detail and architecture - the architecture is decent, but lacking in detail just as the rest of the map is. I take it that this area is meant to be clean, which is fine, but you would still have more in the area than that. You have a table with a lamp off to the side - why not sofas to lounge upon nearer the central statue? How about a smaller potted plant upon the statue's pedestal? Details! You could have an empty goblet at the foot of the statue - maybe someone was lingering around it waiting for a friend or associate and had a drink while he did. Perhaps someone was studying ahead of an interview or business meeting and had folders, papers and books near a sofa in the middle?

There's also a very distinct lack of particles - at least, ones that are visible. No matter how clean your environment, intense light in an otherwise dark/dim environment will light up the lingering dust. At night, it may even attract moths or little bugs to the lights.
Either way - you need more particles, as they make an area feel dynamic, not like it's some movie set.

I really appreciate you took the time to write such a thorough review!

First off, I want to say that fraps really darkens my screenshots. This area is actually very well lit :S But I will work some more on the lighting especially on the top floor.

I will try to get some more details in there. I can't do alot more tho because of lag. This map is currently at the border of "ok lag". But a bit more detailing surely can be done.

I will have all your points in mind when I improve on this level. I will post a screenshot with the changes made and I guess I'll have to use photoshop to make the screenshot look like it actually does ingame.

My mod Amadeus
06-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

If you're playing with debug mode on (or maybe even if you aren't? have to test), you can take a screenshot of the game with F8, so you don't have to rely on FRAPS. Provided your Amnesia folder isn't protected by Administrator rights, it'll appear as Screenshot_xxx in your redist folder.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
06-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Find
Rahmerh Offline

Threads: 7

Hey there!

I used to be a active member back in the day, but sadly I lost my password to my old account and the password of email I used to register my old account, so I guess I'll have to do it with this one Smile

Anyway, I'm kinda rusty so I made a small room (Very cliche and done 100000 times, probably) just to practice a bit more.

I'd just like to know what you guys think. Is the lighting good, detail, etc. Don't hold back Tongue

Spoiler below!
[Image: nPrWJ07.jpg] I know the screenshot is probably too dark to see, so here's a link to the map download, if anyone is interested.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2015, 12:32 AM by Rahmerh.)
06-26-2015, 12:31 AM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

-Desaturate the blue light coming from outside

-Turn down the opacity/alpha on the light-dust particles

Those were really the only crits I could come up with playing the map, it's very well done and shows good eye for detail. I look forward to anything you might have in store for the future now Smile

06-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Find
Rahmerh Offline

I totally forgot to respond, I'm sorry. I toned down the light dust particles and upped some of the blue light around the desk. English isn't my native language, so what does desaturate mean? Google translate says it's to unsaturate or less saturate a light... So that isn't much help xD

Also, I'm working on a second room, but I think it's too boring right now. I'm not sure how I can fix the lighting... Does anyone have some tips? Don't mind the lack of items, I want to get the light right, first
Spoiler below!
[Image: RkQZS0v.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2015, 10:40 AM by Rahmerh.)
06-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

(06-30-2015, 10:39 AM)Rahmerh Wrote: English isn't my native language, so what does desaturate mean? Google translate says it's to unsaturate or less saturate a light... So that isn't much help xD

I used it to mean reduce the 'strength' of the color, effectively bringing it closer to grey (not all the way of course)

06-30-2015, 10:44 AM
Find
Rahmerh Offline

(06-30-2015, 10:44 AM)Kurton Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 10:39 AM)Rahmerh Wrote: English isn't my native language, so what does desaturate mean? Google translate says it's to unsaturate or less saturate a light... So that isn't much help xD

I used it to mean reduce the 'strength' of the color, effectively bringing it closer to grey (not all the way of course)

Right, thanks Smile
06-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(06-30-2015, 10:39 AM)Rahmerh Wrote: I totally forgot to respond, I'm sorry. I toned down the light dust particles and upped some of the blue light around the desk. English isn't my native language, so what does desaturate mean? Google translate says it's to unsaturate or less saturate a light... So that isn't much help xD

Also, I'm working on a second room, but I think it's too boring right now. I'm not sure how I can fix the lighting... Does anyone have some tips? Don't mind the lack of items, I want to get the light right, first
Spoiler below!
[Image: RkQZS0v.png]

The candles are too high up, and they light up too much of the room.
Put something on the shelves.
Add decals.
Use particle effects with low-alpha to make the room look dusty.

Trying is the first step to success.
06-30-2015, 12:14 PM
Find