Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia will not record with FRAPS
EvayoInfinity Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago Amnesia will not record with FRAPS

Forgive me if this problem has already been brought up in the past, but it's been baffling me for the past couple days and I can't seem to find any solution anywhere else.

Anyways, I was very much anticipating being able to record myself playing Amnesia when a friend of mine gifted it to me a couple days ago. I've done a wide variety of recordings using FRAPS in the past, so I honestly wasn't expecting any issues with this game. Every single other game I own records at PERFECT quality.

However, when I played back the Amnesia footage: THIS is what it looked like: http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240...xample.jpg

It looks this way on every single media player, which means something is more than likely going wrong in the recording process. It's baffling to me because I've never experienced this issue with any other game, and the one game I'm most eager to record happens to be the one FRAPS will not cooperate with. I've spent the last two days tweaking every possible setting, looking for any sort of fix, both in-game and in FRAPS, but nothing I try and nothing anyone suggests works, which is why I'm hoping I'll have more luck finding an answer here.

Now, some specifications:

- I have an ATI Radeon HD 3650 graphics card.
- I have a Terrabyte harddrive with 6GB of RAM.
- I am NOT going to use Bandicam, if anyone suggests it. I tried using it once and it crashed my computer every time, whereas FRAPS does not.
- This doesn't happen when I try to record other games, just Amnesia.

I really must stress those last two points in particular. Up until this point, FRAPS hasn't given me a single issue with anything. Games like Skyrim, Portal 2, Fable 3, etc. all function perfectly through FRAPS, all of which are games I could only assume to be at least a BIT more graphically sophisticated than Amnesia. No other recording software has worked as well as FRAPS does, so I'd really much rather stick to what I know and not have to dish out money I don't have for some other recording software just to record this one game.

Which is why I'm looking for a possible solution that doesn't involve switching from FRAPS to something else. Could anyone lend a hand?
12-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Amnesia will not record with FRAPS

make sure your graphics card drivers are updated and that you are using the latest version of Fraps
12-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Find
EvayoInfinity Offline

(12-21-2011, 04:32 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: make sure your graphics card drivers are updated and that you are using the latest version of Fraps
Believe me, I've made sure of that. My graphics card is updated to the latest version, and so is FRAPS.
12-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

maybe lack of codecs or something. This is not a problem of Amnesia for sure.
12-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Find
EvayoInfinity Offline

(12-21-2011, 04:58 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: maybe lack of codecs or something. This is not a problem of Amnesia for sure.
Would anyone happen to know exactly what those codecs would be based on what I've provided, if that is indeed true? I'll surely give it a try, but I'm not very good with identifying those kinds of things off-hand.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2011, 08:43 PM by EvayoInfinity.)
12-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Try downgrading FRAPS to 3.3.3. You may also want to try out other OpenGL games (e.g. Warzone 2100, Penumbra, etc) and see if the same occurs. The games you mentioned are irrelevant, since those games make use of DirectX.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
12-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Website Find
EvayoInfinity Offline

(12-21-2011, 09:40 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Try downgrading FRAPS to 3.3.3. You may also want to try out other OpenGL games (e.g. Warzone 2100, Penumbra, etc) and see if the same occurs. The games you mentioned are irrelevant, since those games make use of DirectX.
Okay, I downgraded to 3.3.3. per your suggestion, however... while it DOES now record the footage properly, the game lags HORRIBLY while it's recording. And by "horribly" I mean 1 frame every two seconds. I did download Penumbra and tried it, and it turns out it does the exact same thing.

Could the lag I'm experiencing simply be due to the fact that it's properly recording the footage now, so it's slowing the processing power down? I'd have to assume that it's an issue with OpenGL, considering that it doesn't lag the same way with the other games I've tried. If possible, I'd like to be able to continue using the latest version of FRAPS...
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2011, 05:40 AM by EvayoInfinity.)
12-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

You need to have the latest version of fraps installed since they constantly improve the OpenGL performance.
12-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Find
EvayoInfinity Offline

(12-22-2011, 04:27 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: You need to have the latest version of fraps installed since they constantly improve the OpenGL performance.
Well, just to be sure I returned to using the latest version (3.4.7., unless I'm wrong), and it just goes back to the same issues again. Not only that, but now I'm starting to notice that certain textures in the game get all glitchy and look like something out of The Matrix while FRAPS is active. I highly doubt any of this is normal, considering how many perfect-quality play-throughs of Amnesia I've watched that use FRAPS.
12-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I know this may seem obvious, but have you tried removing the software from your system and then re-downloading it? (Not sure if you would have to pay again :L)

[Image: luv.gif]
12-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Find