Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Disappointed
aVirulence Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Disappointed

Hi,

Last week I tried the linux demo of Penumbra Overture. I really liked it, and I liked the fact that there was linux support for this game, one in my favorite genre.

So when I encountered the game in a local games store today, I decided to buy it. After checking the disc for a linux installer I tried to find it on the website. When I read in the faq here that I'm required to purchase a different version of the game I was really disappointed.

Isn't there any way for people like me, that figured they could download linux binaries for the game when purchasing the game disc, to get the linux version without paying twice? What's the reason for not helping out these people?

Thanks for you attention.
06-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Disappointed

Can't you just return it into shop? If you still have bill for it, I think that it's possible to get the money back from the game.

06-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Website Find
aVirulence Offline

Threads: 1

Nah, the game wasn't sealed, because I was convinced it would work..
06-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Find
phobeus Offline

Threads: 0

I really can understand aVirulence, because I would expect that it would be possible to get the linux version also, if I purchase the windows version. Especially if somebody decide to take the boxed version in order to get use of a translation.

Additionally more and more people start to use linux and it would be great, if they can use most of their games there also. You have done a great job to make penumbra avaible for linux and in fact this is the only reason why I finally decide to buy it. Please make it possible to get the client for windows and linux, if somebody purchase the game.
06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Hmm... Then it's pretty shame, if you can't play the game and can't return it to shop...
But maybe they could make it like phoebus said, that you can take the both versions if you have bought the wrong version of the game! Smile

06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Website Find
Apage43 Offline

I'm also disappointed by this, every commercial game I've played on linux (natively) I've been able to do this. You can even use the linux binaries for darwinia (which they give out) with data files from the version purchased off of Valve's STEAM. (Which is how I bought Darwinia). The fact that I noticed this was not the case is what kept me from immediately purchasing the game after completing the demo.
06-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Find
Doom_fan Offline

Penumbra Overture works with Wine almost flawlessly with a older version.Newer versions of wine causes Graphic problem.I would try http://www.winehq.org/ before I gave up hope on playing the game on linux.
06-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Find
weblordpepe Offline

Threads: 2

Doom_fan Wrote:Penumbra Overture works with Wine almost flawlessly with a older version.Newer versions of wine causes Graphic problem.I would try http://www.winehq.org/ before I gave up hope on playing the game on linux.
First off: DOOM RULES!
Second off: Thats true. You can play Penumbra under wine. I have the demo running good under the latest wine + ati drivers.
However he does have a very good point. The linux binaries should be released for free. That said, I am still glad for a linux version. Goes to show you can have awesome wicked graphics & games without the fancy wancy directX 10.
07-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Find