Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vincent - Total Conversion Mod
FreshKorruption Offline

Threads: 27
RE: Vincent - Total Conversion Mod

(01-05-2012, 05:15 AM)kman Wrote: Although I can't really play full conversions easily, that's not really why I said that (and you of all people should know statyk >_>). I'm saying it because recently an insane ammount of people have been making their custom stories full conversions for absolutely pointless reasons. The flashlight was made for white night, yet for some reason now every person and their mother feels the need to use it. Second, making your custom story a full conversion by NO MEANS makes your custom story any better. In fact, i've seen custom stories that are way better then a lot of full conversions. You can make a terrible custom story and still have it be a full conversion. Also the whole point of full conversions has seem to be lost as of late. It's so that you can change a large ammount of things in amnesia for the benefit of their story, and for some reason that defenition has changed to throwing in a flashlight and a new menu. If making it a full conversion doesn't benefit your story in any other way then those two things, then it's pointless. Now i'm not saying ALL full conversions are bad, take example sciophobia. That story is changing a TON of things because it makes sense to the story and make the over all experience better. Not just some small little things that will make little to no difference.

Well now that I have that rant that's been gathering in me for the last month, I think imma go eat a sammich.

Now I have nothing against what you are saying, somewhat it is true. But the flashlight was not made for White Night. It was created just for the purpose of it. I thought that too. When I messaged Tanshaydar asking for permission to use the flashlight, he pointed out it wasn't his. He only created the batteries. FUN FACT FOR EVERYONE Tongue. And plus, there is no saying I won't change the game massively, I just started and don't have many future plans for this. Hell, I could create 100 new monsters, which I'm probably not going to do until I learn how to create one. I'm new to Maya so yeah...but this is just the beginning. I added the flashlight because I wanted a modern day mod. Good day sir!

Custom Stories

-BrastaSauce

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2012, 05:24 AM by FreshKorruption.)
01-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Website Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

I don't think changing a lot of things in Amnesia is needed for a total (or full) conversion. Changing the norm of Amnesia (same lantern, always have night vision) works most of the time. While I agree that SOME people make it a conversion just for the lantern and menu, he has not even described his full intentions with this mod. Give him more time than 1 day to explain what he has in store (then again, if he has anything in store at all).

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2012, 05:40 AM by flamez3.)
01-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(01-05-2012, 05:40 AM)flamez3 Wrote: I don't think changing a lot of things in Amnesia is needed for a total (or full) conversion. Changing the norm of Amnesia (same lantern, always have night vision) works most of the time. While I agree that SOME people make it a conversion just for the lantern and menu, he has not even described his full intentions with this mod. Give him more time than 1 day to explain what he has in store (then again, if he has anything in store at all).

That was more of a message to the entire forum rather than just him. My point is, if the only reason your making your custom story a full conversion is because you think that people will automatically think that it's better, or if you think adding in a flashlight or other lantern will make it better, then that's flat out stupid... just make it a normal custom story in that case. And don't think that if you spend a lot of time on a custom story it HAS to be a full conversion. In fact, i've worked on my custom story for 4a months now and it's not even near done, and it's gonna be a normal custom story. And shit son, i'm making sure that thing is a MASTERPIECE. But I have no use for making it a full conversion, so i'm not gonna make it one just because I feel it will make it better.

Posting Freak
01-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Website Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

Honestly this looks really bad.

I can appreciate that you want to make new environments to deviate from Amnesia's original ones, but if you don't have the modeling skills to back that up and make something that looks good players are just going to respond poorly and never get immersed in the environment.

Stick to a story that can be done with the stock Amnesia assets, or (learn to?) make your own.
01-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Find
FreshKorruption Offline

(01-05-2012, 08:36 AM)Sel Wrote: Honestly this looks really bad.

I can appreciate that you want to make new environments to deviate from Amnesia's original ones, but if you don't have the modeling skills to back that up and make something that looks good players are just going to respond poorly and never get immersed in the environment.

Stick to a story that can be done with the stock Amnesia assets, or (learn to?) make your own.
I am not finished with the room, this is only after about 20 minutes because I have been mostly working with the radio. Can't some of you guys be patient enough it has only been about one day.

Custom Stories

-BrastaSauce

01-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Website Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

(01-05-2012, 05:52 AM)kman Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 05:40 AM)flamez3 Wrote: I don't think changing a lot of things in Amnesia is needed for a total (or full) conversion. Changing the norm of Amnesia (same lantern, always have night vision) works most of the time. While I agree that SOME people make it a conversion just for the lantern and menu, he has not even described his full intentions with this mod. Give him more time than 1 day to explain what he has in store (then again, if he has anything in store at all).

That was more of a message to the entire forum rather than just him. My point is, if the only reason your making your custom story a full conversion is because you think that people will automatically think that it's better, or if you think adding in a flashlight or other lantern will make it better, then that's flat out stupid... just make it a normal custom story in that case. And don't think that if you spend a lot of time on a custom story it HAS to be a full conversion. In fact, i've worked on my custom story for 4a months now and it's not even near done, and it's gonna be a normal custom story. And shit son, i'm making sure that thing is a MASTERPIECE. But I have no use for making it a full conversion, so i'm not gonna make it one just because I feel it will make it better.
I'm just curious, what did White Night do (apart from different lantern, menu and no nightvision) that can only be done by a full conversion?

01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Find
FreshKorruption Offline

(01-05-2012, 01:15 PM)flamez3 Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 05:52 AM)kman Wrote:

I'm just curious, what did White Night do (apart from different lantern, menu and no nightvision) that can only be done by a full conversion?
I was thinking about that earlier, and I'm not so sure. I believe he only added one monster which was just a waterlurker on fire, so it wasn't exactly much of a new monster.

Custom Stories

-BrastaSauce

01-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

/offtopic
(01-05-2012, 01:15 PM)flamez3 Wrote: I'm just curious, what did White Night do (apart from different lantern, menu and no nightvision) that can only be done by a full conversion?

Did you play White Night? I'm just curious, because just playing would give you an idea how many (tens of) things I've changed, which is impossible to do without total conversion.
/offtopic

01-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Website Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

(01-05-2012, 03:35 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: /offtopic
(01-05-2012, 01:15 PM)flamez3 Wrote: I'm just curious, what did White Night do (apart from different lantern, menu and no nightvision) that can only be done by a full conversion?

Did you play White Night? I'm just curious, because just playing would give you an idea how many (tens of) things I've changed, which is impossible to do without total conversion.
/offtopic
Didn't play it, watched a playthrough. If you don't mind; can you tell me. I want to know what other things besides the things I've mentioned you can do in the total conversion?

01-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(01-05-2012, 03:40 PM)flamez3 Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 03:35 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: /offtopic

/offtopic
Didn't play it, watched a playthrough. If you don't mind; can you tell me. I want to know what other things besides the things I've mentioned you can do in the total conversion?
This post is a mixture of on- and off-topic.

I have played it. Apart from that what I noticed was a different wording on the menu texts and a custom loading screen; "remembering". Any other changes is something I did not take notice of; or wasn't affecting my experience/memory/view of white night. This is something which brings up my view of total conversions.

People have gotten a false idea that making something a full conversion is what allows them to add custom content. I am not raining on White night here or pointing at Tanshaydar, merely speaking of how full conversions are viewed by "the masses" in my opinion.

Making something a full conversion is for polishing purposes only. A full conversion doesn't add much to a story experience wise. I create my opinon of a story not by the loading screen when pressing "New game" or the fact that I am holding something else than a lantern in my hand. It doesn't really matter wheter I have "nightvision", a new menu background or not.

What makes up a good custom story is solid mapmaking, a good and intriguing story, effective lighting plus the added value of custom content; models, voice-acting, gobos, textures, music, sounds etc. All which is done without the need of a full conversion.

A polished turd will still be a turd when released; no "full conversion" can change the content of a custom story.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

01-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Find