Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What was the best [scariest] chase scene in Penumbra/Amnesia?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The Shadow Chase in Amnesia
6.67%
2 6.67%
The Rock Worm chase(s) from Penumbra
6.67%
2 6.67%
The Dogs chasing me from Penumbra
6.67%
2 6.67%
The Spiders chasing me from Penumbra
3.33%
1 3.33%
The Brute Chasing me from Amnesia
16.67%
5 16.67%
The Grunts chasing me from Amnesia
6.67%
2 6.67%
The Water Horror chasing me from Amnesia
40.00%
12 40.00%
The Infected chasing me from Penumbra
13.33%
4 13.33%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What was the best chase scene in Penumbra/Amnesia?
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
What was the best chase scene in Penumbra/Amnesia?

I personally thought the Shadow chase was the best overall. I certainly was more scared in that section than any other chase! Although the Shadow isn't a monster like a Brute or Grunt (or even Worm), it is certainly the most dangerous and frightening entity. Before that chase, I didn't think the Shadow could move THAT fast!
01-05-2012, 05:40 AM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10
RE: What was the best chase scene in Penumbra/Amnesia?

The infected chase because of their footstep noises and the music.

Also holy crap, change you're signature. It stretches your post like crazy.
01-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

You're missing what I think is BY FAR the best chase. The dungeon chase from justine, my hands were literally SHAKING while I was playing it ._.

Posting Freak
01-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-05-2012, 06:42 AM)Arvuti Wrote: The infected chase because of their footstep noises and the music.

Also holy crap, change you're signature. It stretches your post like crazy.
Sorry that it stretches it a little bit, but what do you think of it?
01-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Find
Carrna Offline

Threads: 0

Agh, hard to decide. Huh All of them have made me shit bricks at some point.

The spider tunnel where you have to break walls, move rocks etc. oh god... Probably my most popular dying place in Overture on the first playthrough after the refinery's steam floor. Then there was the long worm chase that felt it's never going to end; where you had to close doors and avoid acid and stuff. So much tension! I didn't even notice you could close the doors at first so I was trying to manage without them for some time haha.

Dogs near the end become really mad if you try to kill them with steam and fail, you know? One of them chased me almost through the whole place and when I tried to barricade myself into the storage room the dog ignored the closed door and dashed straight into my arms. The infected were probably the best ones for causing heart attacks in Penumbras. Especially the one that crashes through the door and sprints after you. Or Dr. Eminiss. Or Clarence. Their "danger is close" music is also the best one in Penumbras in my opinion.

In Amnesia, the brute chase in sewers was probably the one that made my adrenaline rush most. The Shadow chase was quite different since the situation itself didn't scare me much, but the fear came actually after it. I was so used to seeing it only hanging on the walls so when it started to move I was like "OMG. OMG WTF? WTF?!?" I lifted the rubble out of the way and ran like a robot, almost entirely calm.

Grunts on the other hand are, well... if they manage to surprise you then they can give a good chase. But generally they're so slow that they're kind of meh when it comes to running. Water horror parts were awesome, especially the one where you need to feed it and meanwhile get the slowly opening door open. But although they were really exciting they weren't as scary as the others. I guess I've played too much platformers so I'm very good at jumping. Big Grin

This was a difficult decision but from these options my vote will go to the infected. Especially Eminiss and Clarence where you're stuck alone with them.

Probably the scariest chase however was Malo in Justine. I've played it three times and I still haven't saved the last dude down there. Every time I panic too much that I could stay and turn the wheel although I know you have enough time to turn it.

~
01-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Website Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

(01-05-2012, 06:49 AM)kman Wrote: You're missing what I think is BY FAR the best chase. The dungeon chase from justine, my hands were literally SHAKING while I was playing it ._.
Totally agree with you there. I hate being put under pressure, but managed to get past it first time, with a bit of help from my mate Tongue

I picked the spider chase. Mainly the one where you need to block off the tunnels with rocks and then almost getting crushed by a rock. Made it worse cause you can't run Sad

Think A Little, Change A Lot
01-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Find
Roy595 Offline

Threads: 0

Nothing beats the terror, uncertainty, and suspense of the water monster chase. One of the worst things about it is you can't even really see it! You can never be too sure just how far behind you he is. Jumping on and over boxes is just hair raising with that music playing. I think it was the most well done over all.

Of course, being chased by a Grunt or Brute is certainly no picnic. But the water monster chase was just orchestrated so well that it beats any other monster chase in that game, save maybe the Brute in the sewers. That was just an awful ten seconds lol.

The dogs and spider chases were certainly hair-raising, but not in the same horror kind of class as the chases in Amnesia. The infected were scary at first, but once you figured them out they started to become a nuisance.

The Shadow chase just... lacked something for me. I guess I'd acclimated to the game at that point maybe. It certainly got the adrenaline pumping, but there wasnt anything particularly horrifying about it.

Edit: Ah yes. I forgot about the chase in Justine. That one might just top them all.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM by Roy595.)
01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

I know what you mean about the water monster. It's scary not knowing what is chasing you, but I found just running and jumping worked well Tongue

First few times I found the dogs scary, but after I killed one and got chased by 2 at the same time, I just ran past most of them rather than using stealth. The spiders are scary cause they just jump about in your face haha. I just panicked over the worm, but after getting past the last chase, never been so happy in my life Tongue

Think A Little, Change A Lot
01-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Find
GetAgrippa Offline

Threads: 2

Rock worm, I don't think I was ever that scared before. This was awhile ago when I knew not of Frictional games evil tricks. Water lurker chase in the tunnel is a runner up. But, Justine chase is scary in a different way. All of them pulse pounding best chase scenes ever.

If Fate frowns, we all perish.
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-05-2012, 10:10 AM)Carrna Wrote: Agh, hard to decide. Huh All of them have made me shit bricks at some point.

The spider tunnel where you have to break walls, move rocks etc. oh god... Probably my most popular dying place in Overture on the first playthrough after the refinery's steam floor. Then there was the long worm chase that felt it's never going to end; where you had to close doors and avoid acid and stuff. So much tension! I didn't even notice you could close the doors at first so I was trying to manage without them for some time haha.
I too didn't noticed the second pair of doors that you could close myself. Look on the bright side, at least they were not made of wood. Otherwise that worm would have just barreled through as if it weren't there!
01-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Find