Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Alone - A[nother] Short Custom Story
triadtimes Offline

Threads: 16
Alone - A[nother] Short Custom Story

"We're getting out of this prison."

The following is from Alone's ModDB page located here.
You can download Alone from ModDB or this MediaFire link.

January 22nd

Okay, it's been two weeks since Alone's release so you know what that means: YouTube videos. In this case, as always, the first video is of myself explaining Alone/doing a Let's Play, enjoy!

Besides that we have the always popular wall of Let's Plays (which is fairly short this time around). If you've played Alone I'd love a link to show.
Spoiler below!
Youtube.com - JayMacGaming
Twitch.tv - Cry (starts around 0:55:00 and continues to next video)

January 7th

Yeah I made another one, what of it?
As opposed to Other, which is all about the story, Alone is more about atmosphere.

"Hey! Alone is up.

"Alone is a story I wanted to make just because I had some time to kill. During design I had the awesome Khyrpa test it out and he not only gave great feedback but he also tweaked the map entirely, huge props to you man.

"Okay, on to the story: "We're getting out of this prison."

"In Alone you will take on the personality of Harry, a convict trying to escape from his time in prison. Along with your pals Eddy and Aaron you must escape through the sewers and on to your meeting place. (As with my other mod Other this mod is pretty darn short (about 8 minutes?) so please take your time, do not rush, and have fun why don't'cha?)

"Okay, take care."

Enjoy,
triadtimes

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2012, 01:39 AM by triadtimes.)
01-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64
RE: Alone - A[nother] Short Custom Story

(01-08-2012, 12:43 AM)triadtimes Wrote: "We're getting out of this prison."

The following is from Alone's ModDB page located here.
You can download Alone from ModDB or this MediaFire link.

Yeah I made another one, what of it?
As opposed to Other, which is all about the story, Alone is more about atmosphere.

"Hey! Alone is up.

"Alone is a story I wanted to make just because I had some time to kill. During design I had the awesome Khyrpa test it out and he not only gave great feedback but he also tweaked the map entirely, huge props to you man.

"Okay, on to the story: "We're getting out of this prison."

"In Alone you will take on the personality of Harry, a convict trying to escape from his time in prison. Along with your pals Eddy and Aaron you must escape through the sewers and on to your meeting place. (As with my other mod Other this mod is pretty darn short (about 8 minutes?) so please take your time, do not rush, and have fun why don't'cha?)

"Okay, take care."

Really good, I like these short ones, beautiful map design you got there Smile

I want more! Tongue

“Life is a game, play it”
01-08-2012, 03:56 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Nice to see some of my recommendations were used Smile overall this is a GREAT custom story, it's obvious you put a lot of time into it. I found the fact that all the letters were scrambled a bit... odd, but it was definitely interesting. it also made it so you HAD to pay attention to the story or you wouldn't be able to progress, which i think is good. Hope to see a full length custom story from you in the future though!

Posting Freak
01-08-2012, 04:35 AM
Website Find
triadtimes Offline

(01-08-2012, 04:35 AM)kman Wrote: I found the fact that all the letters were scrambled a bit... odd, but it was definitely interesting.
That was probably my most asked question, and I just thought it added a layer of depth to the character if you really wanted to go more in depth than I gave you available in this mod but here it is...
Spoiler below!
The reason why the text is scrambled up is because Harry is dyslexic (he scrambles words up in his head).
Spoiler below!
...oh and it can act as a cheap puzzle element. :]

01-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I played it. It was hard to find much with such a short map.

I thought you got the decision of having no music totally right. It really helps the atmosphere of being alone. The sewer was just the right size. Not too big or too small, (its annoying when you easily get lost). I like how there were grids showing little rays of sunlight to intimidate you because you know there is no easy way out. (A lot of stories have windows where you'd think "Surely I could break this window and risk falling to my death" hehe)

I enjoyed having to unscramble the words. You're right, it is a cheap puzzle but it works great. It also adds to the feeling of understanding a REAL PERSONALITY which most games seem to have nothing of.

The confusing cliffhanger at the end is interesting. It definitaly makes me wonder whats going on.

It has great potential Wink

[Image: luv.gif]
01-08-2012, 05:32 AM
Find
triadtimes Offline

(01-08-2012, 05:32 AM)Lucke Wrote: I played it. It was hard to find much with such a short map.

I thought you got the decision of having no music totally right. It really helps the atmosphere of being alone. The sewer was just the right size. Not too big or too small, (its annoying when you easily get lost). I like how there were grids showing little rays of sunlight to intimidate you because you know there is no easy way out. (A lot of stories have windows where you'd think "Surely I could break this window and risk falling to my death" hehe)

I enjoyed having to unscramble the words. You're right, it is a cheap puzzle but it works great. It also adds to the feeling of understanding a REAL PERSONALITY which most games seem to have nothing of.

The confusing cliffhanger at the end is interesting. It definitaly makes me wonder whats going on.

It has great potential Wink
And damn, that voiceacting was Grade A! Who did that again?
Spoiler below!
:3

01-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

Thank you for this short adventure, I like how you put in that little "reward" at the end for escaping. :) I understand it's not scary, but maybe there could have been some "atmosphere effects," triggered subtle background noises or such, as the sewers feel a bit too "safe." I like how the place was not too big though.

Edit: Oh yes, the voice acting was a nice touch too!

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2012, 02:28 AM by Kurton.)
01-09-2012, 02:26 AM
Find
triadtimes Offline

(01-09-2012, 02:26 AM)Kurton Wrote: Thank you for this short adventure, I like how you put in that little "reward" at the end for escaping. :) I understand it's not scary, but maybe there could have been some "atmosphere effects," triggered subtle background noises or such, as the sewers feel a bit too "safe." I like how the place was not too big though.

Edit: Oh yes, the voice acting was a nice touch too!
Glad you liked it!

Actually, there were some triggers for "lamp blown out" and "distant footsteps" but they were at dead ends, probably should put some in the normal pathway for more linear players though, thanks for the tip.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2012, 04:27 AM by triadtimes.)
01-09-2012, 04:26 AM
Find
Ivan4ik Offline

Threads: 0

Excellent short history. But, I want to continue. Smile
01-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Find
JayMacGaming Offline

Threads: 0
Thumbs Up  RE: Alone - A[nother] Short Custom Story

Playthrough : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36W8bFEAS8

You, my good man, are a genius of short stories.

This was an excellent CS and overall I just loved it all! The atmosphere was really excellent for the sewers theme and I particularly loved how you set up a reason for there being no one with him and why Harry was left behind because of his injuries. I think one of the more creative things was that since they were escaped convicts they couldn't really communicate directly or it could be used to trace them so that backwards/mixed text in the letter was used. I must admit I couldn't get a few words but 'solving' that little riddle was fun.

Even though it was expected, not adding jumpscares or monsters did make the whole story seem more realistic and somehow interesting. I feel like you could have added in some sound effects like perhaps guards yelling and dogs barking in the sewers. Maybe once you solved the puzzle with the machine. Or perhaps you could have started the story before they were in the sewers and there being some puzzle to solve before the guards returned. I don't know. It's not really a critique so much as I just loved the rest and I really wanted to do more.

By the way, excellent ending. I actually found it really funny. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2012, 03:06 AM by JayMacGaming.)
01-15-2012, 03:05 AM
Find