Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Should I skip Penumbra: Overture? (read before voting please)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
skip the game
10.00%
2 10.00%
play the game
90.00%
18 90.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How crucial is it to follow the story line?
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
RE: How crucial is it to follow the story line?

(01-15-2012, 12:44 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Oh man, why would you skip Overture, the best of the Penumbra series?
Overture is the best game of all from Frictional Games, even better than Amnesia.
You have a very oppressive atmosphere in the mine shafts and so incredible physic puzzles!!!
Don't skip Overture, otherwise you will missed most content.
Black Plague isn't an improvement for me, it is little scarier, yes, but the core game isn't such immersing like Overture. Less puzzles and a strange story that plays in minds and felt implausible some times.
Trust me, Overture would be the best experience!

I know that the game ends odd I cannot find the ending any where *sobs* but I am trying to beat this game it is kind of annoying me now D:<

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2012, 02:59 AM by darkely.)
01-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(01-09-2012, 09:53 PM)darkely Wrote: Is it that crucial for me to play the games in order? I have been playing Penumbra: Overture - keep in my mind I have already beaten Amnesia: The Dark Descent. So I was used to the amazing atmosphere but now a lot of the improvements are gone due to the fact Amnesia is newer :'( but don't get me wrong it is still a good game (aside from the seemingly invincible dogs...). The order to my knowledge is Overture, Black Plague, and then Requiem I am a big fan of story lines but I do not like Penumbra: Overture that much others have told me that Black Plague made some huge improvements. So should I skip Overture?

Please I am trying to beat the game Big Grin but I am stuck I have posted a thread to see if any one can help me out here: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-12625.html
You should play Overture for a few reasons. 1: It introduces you to the Penumbra world, 2: while Black Plague does a very basic sum up of what happened in Overture, playing Overture allows you to see the full story (as well as the story of the mines), 3: Black Plague should then be played as new monsters are introduced along with tougher puzzles (and 10 strange artifacts throughout the game that unlock neat stuff).

01-16-2012, 03:35 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(01-16-2012, 03:35 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Black Plague should then be played as new monsters are introduced along with tougher puzzles (and 10 strange artifacts throughout the game that unlock neat stuff).

Overture has more tougher puzzles. Of course, the computer room was hard, but the rest isn't so tricky and physics based as in Overture. Black Plague isn't so good as Overture, because it has less puzzles.
But I know a secret ending in Requiem when you collected all artifacts. What does happen in Black Plague?

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2012, 05:04 PM by Googolplex.)
01-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(01-16-2012, 05:04 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(01-16-2012, 03:35 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: Black Plague should then be played as new monsters are introduced along with tougher puzzles (and 10 strange artifacts throughout the game that unlock neat stuff).

Overture has more tougher puzzles. Of course, the computer room was hard, but the rest isn't so tricky and physics based as in Overture. Black Plague isn't so good as Overture, because it has less puzzles.
But I know a secret ending in Requiem when you collected all artifacts. What does happen in Black Plague?
I know that was addressed at The Rock Worm not me but in Amnesia there are 3 endings based on what you do in the end (trying not to say to much for those who have not played yet) correct? and for Overture and Black Plague do those have any alternate endings? Note I am still playing the Penumbra games so please no spoilers I just want to know if there was more then one ending.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2012, 08:05 PM by darkely.)
01-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Find
Zathorius Offline

Threads: 0

Overture and Black Plague both only have 1 ending. Requiem has 2. The strange artifacts in Black Plague give the password to mini-game which isn't related to the plot.
01-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(01-16-2012, 08:20 PM)Zathorius Wrote: Overture and Black Plague both only have 1 ending. Requiem has 2. The strange artifacts in Black Plague give the password to mini-game which isn't related to the plot.
ok thanks Big Grin is the mini game good?

01-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

This is a spoiler, but when you wanted to see the mini game, click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcjLev6Z7y0
You definitely won't be able to play this game by first attempt.
You can shut the eyes when the password will be typed in.
01-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Find