Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What do you think the Legendary Pictures Godzilla should be like?
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
What do you think the Legendary Pictures Godzilla should be like?

For those who don't know, the movie company Legendary Pictures is making an American Godzilla movie. It will be in theaters 2014 and will be a reboot to the franchise. This Godzilla is not the 1998 Tristar Godzilla.

This thread is to discuss what we think the form and abilities of this new Godzilla should be.

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

1: Godzilla is supposed to be a mutated Tyrannosaurus Rex-like dinosaur, so have the mutated form show this side more than the original Japanese Godzilla did.

2: Reduce the 'bulk/fat' on Godzilla and replace with with more muscles (Semi-stream line but still a strong body).

3: Have the ability to change stances. Godzilla usually is in person stance, while this is good for close combat, this does not help in speed (especially if Anti-Godzilla weaponry is coming right at the Big G). By allowing Godzilla to shift to a theropod-like stance, it could better dodge the more lethal attacks. Don't worry, Godzilla will only run 100 mph and not the 250+ mph as the Tristar Godzilla (this fella weighed far less that a muscular Godzilla so it ran faster)

4: The movie should show Godzilla's fast regeneration, for example, in work better than the Japanese films (aka actually see the cut before it quickly heals itself).

5: Godzilla's head should have T-Rex like features and not be 100% T-Rex head. Something cool but still suggests power. Tristar Godzilla's bottom jaw was thick, suggesting a powerful bite. That would be a new weapon for Godzilla in case the Atomic Breath was not an option.

6: Keep the spines similar to the original Godzilla design, but make it 'cool' looking. Making the spines aim backwards would be less drag when Godzilla swam in the water.

7: The original Godzilla has been variable intelligence, ranging from animalistic to semi-intelligent. Semi-intelligent would make Godzilla more challenging not only to other monsters but also to the military.

8: The original Godzilla eventually had a child, but Godzilla is usually refered to a a 'he'. This would need to be explained in either this upcoming film or a future one. Either make it an asexual female (like the Tristar Godzilla, but only be 1 kid and not 200!) or introduce a Female Godzilla later on.

9: The original Godzilla (in 1954) was out to destroy humanity, while other incarnations were defenders of humanity. Seeing that the Legendary Pictures Godzilla is a reboot, Godzilla should be after the city (maybe have a surviving offspring be good).

10: It is said that the Legendary Pictures Godzilla will be fighting against another monster (or last I heard). If so, then make a completely new monster so that the viewers are unsure who will win. Maybe a mutated Giganotosaurus. It would be 2x the strength of Godzilla (both in physical attacks and breath attacks), but be less intelligent than Godzilla. A battle of Brains (Godzilla) vs Brawns (Giganotosaurus mutant)
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2012, 05:13 AM by The Rock Worm.)
01-12-2012, 05:09 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: What do you think the Legendary Pictures Godzilla should be like?

It all depends on the director. Hollywood remakes tends to screw up everything, and instead of delivering a better experience, they just f*ck up even originals.
1998 Godzilla was awesome for me. I really loved it, and it was one of the few times I went to theater for a movie in that time.

I personally would like to see a movie adaptation of animated series, which had more action, more emotion and more story depth. Also, animated series was a sequel to '98 Godzilla movie, which extended the very same universe, instead of remaking/rebooting something that was cool enough.

I've seen original Godzilla series too, and I think they don't need a reboot. An eye-candy remake would be good maybe, but I'm not sure... Why not create a new universe like '98 Godzilla did? It was awesome and didn't screw up with original series.

To me, there are only two remakes in film industry that exceeded original in every term: The Thing and The Fly. Any other reboot/remake I've seen so far was just cr*p.

01-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-12-2012, 09:41 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: It all depends on the director. Hollywood remakes tends to screw up everything, and instead of delivering a better experience, they just f*ck up even originals.
1998 Godzilla was awesome for me. I really loved it, and it was one of the few times I went to theater for a movie in that time.

I personally would like to see a movie adaptation of animated series, which had more action, more emotion and more story depth. Also, animated series was a sequel to '98 Godzilla movie, which extended the very same universe, instead of remaking/rebooting something that was cool enough.

I've seen original Godzilla series too, and I think they don't need a reboot. An eye-candy remake would be good maybe, but I'm not sure... Why not create a new universe like '98 Godzilla did? It was awesome and didn't screw up with original series.

To me, there are only two remakes in film industry that exceeded original in every term: The Thing and The Fly. Any other reboot/remake I've seen so far was just cr*p.
Hey another 1998 Godzilla fan! I too am a fan Big Grin ! I liked his design and loved the series. That's what I want to see as the Legendary Pictures Godzilla, one that is like the 1998 Cartoon Godzilla. I remember reading in the Cinefex book that talked about the 98 Godzilla... Toho stated (after seeing what the movie Godzilla would look like) that they wanted their Godzilla to be like that; but they didn't have the technology nor the money to do it.

Like you, I too have seen remakes that were poor in comparison to the original (the 2005 King Kong was good though). Let's hope LP gets it right.

01-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Really? I salute you sir, it was truly a good movie.
Also, 2005 King Kong was something like '98 Godzilla, they took the essence and created a new universe on it; instead of remaking/rebooting something.

As far as I remember, in (original) first series Godzilla became an anti-hero, with an intelligence, even had monster friends; but in second series they decided, like all of those never happened, to shoot a direct sequel to original '54 movie. Even original creators couldn't agree among themselves.
But well, I'd prefer something between first original Godzilla series and '98 movie; and to me, animated series has it all. Goddammit, I used to wake up at 06:00 am to watch the animated series on TV, and I was only 11.

To think that Toho is still in production, it's supposed to give me hope, but I'm skeptical about this. Legendary Pictures would be better to give a go to Del Toro to shoot his In the Mountains of Madness Tongue

01-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-12-2012, 07:35 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Really? I salute you sir, it was truly a good movie.
Also, 2005 King Kong was something like '98 Godzilla, they took the essence and created a new universe on it; instead of remaking/rebooting something.

As far as I remember, in (original) first series Godzilla became an anti-hero, with an intelligence, even had monster friends; but in second series they decided, like all of those never happened, to shoot a direct sequel to original '54 movie. Even original creators couldn't agree among themselves.
But well, I'd prefer something between first original Godzilla series and '98 movie; and to me, animated series has it all. Goddammit, I used to wake up at 06:00 am to watch the animated series on TV, and I was only 11.

To think that Toho is still in production, it's supposed to give me hope, but I'm skeptical about this. Legendary Pictures would be better to give a go to Del Toro to shoot his In the Mountains of Madness Tongue
The monster in the 1998 animated Godzilla series were more impressive than Japanese Godzilla's foes. In those films, they didn't stand much of a chance to begin with. The 1998 animated Godzilla monsters stood toe-to-toe with him! I really wish they'd kept the female Komodo Dragon alive, she would have been great for the team! Besides her, the other monsters I really liked along side Godzilla was the Crackler, Cyborg Godzilla, and Nessie.
01-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

[Image: 250px-Gd78.jpg]
Something more cool than this? Never.
Surprisingly, animated series had more emotion and scenario twists than original Godzilla series.
Godzilla there was quite like what you described in first post, and at my age 11, I wanted something like him to pet.

01-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-12-2012, 09:12 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: [Image: 250px-Gd78.jpg]
Something more cool than this? Never.
Surprisingly, animated series had more emotion and scenario twists than original Godzilla series.
Godzilla there was quite like what you described in first post, and at my age 11, I wanted something like him to pet.
Same here, I love to see him in a real life movie... that and NIGEL getting stommped Tongue

01-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Find