Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Texture request
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
Texture request

Hello everyone! I am currently wrapping up my story, and it has come to my attention that a new texture is necessary for one of the puzzles in the final levels to make any sense. It's a really, really easy texture, one I could easily make myself. It's a simple re-shaping of one of the existing roman numeral signs, yet I cannot for the life of me figure out how to take the current texture (as a .dds), convert it into something I can edit easily using GIMP 2.0, and change it back. It would honestly be the simplest change ever, but I don't know how the materials in HPL2 work! Any help at all is greatly appreciated, as well as an appearance in the credits. Thank you!

[Image: signature-2.png]
01-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Texture request

(01-14-2012, 05:15 AM)Streetboat Wrote: Hello everyone! I am currently wrapping up my story, and it has come to my attention that a new texture is necessary for one of the puzzles in the final levels to make any sense. It's a really, really easy texture, one I could easily make myself. It's a simple re-shaping of one of the existing roman numeral signs, yet I cannot for the life of me figure out how to take the current texture (as a .dds), convert it into something I can edit easily using GIMP 2.0, and change it back. It would honestly be the simplest change ever, but I don't know how the materials in HPL2 work! Any help at all is greatly appreciated, as well as an appearance in the credits. Thank you!
If you have the .dds plugin thing on your gimp, you should be able to open .dds files, just click the mipmaps off.

Did you mean you want to create another entity like the navigation sings? Or is it enough to just take the texture off, tweak it a little and then make it a plane?

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2012, 11:18 AM by Khyrpa.)
01-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Tweak it a little. I can easily apply a plane over the actual numeral signs, I don't need to redo the entire entity.

01-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

(01-14-2012, 11:26 AM)Streetboat Wrote: Tweak it a little. I can easily apply a plane over the actual numeral signs, I don't need to redo the entire entity.
Making a new material is actually pretty simple. Just get the .dds plugin thing for gimmp and open the texture, crop the unnecessary stuff if there is, tweak it, save it as .dds dxt5 or something is fine I think and use mipmaps.

Then open up material editor and make a new .mat with it, make it diffuse and put your new texture at the diffuse spot. If you want normal maps you can pretty easily make crappy ones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKCpB13PP8I

Its possible to use it just with the diffuse, and if its small you wouldnt really notice the difference between normal mapped and one without.

01-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Brilliant, thank you, I got exactly what I needed. Smile

01-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Find