Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Entities
Datguy5 Offline

Threads: 25
Custom Entities

So,i wanna have custom entities and custom music in my map.How do i put them in my custom story?I've heard that i should make a new folder in my custom story folder,but it still confuses me D: Help would be appriciated(hopefully typed that right Big Grin)
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM by Datguy5.)
01-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Custom Entities

Well in the "Entities" folder off the Amensia root, just put a folder that a unique name (i.e. = Datguy5) Their you would put your customized entites, applies the same rules for your music. Its only required for Entities/Static Objects because thats were you can use them from the LevelEditor.

Anything else, you just need to find the relative path and link it from their. Like music, textures, billboards, sounds...

I keep all my original files under my CS to keep it all organized. So if I make changes to something, I always do it from my CS and update any older versions elsewhere I have.
Spoiler below!
[Image: amensiahelp.png]

01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Find
Datguy5 Offline

(01-24-2012, 07:46 PM)Rapture Wrote: Well in the "Entities" folder off the Amensia root, just put a folder that a unique name (i.e. = Datguy5) Their you would put your customized entites, applies the same rules for your music. Its only required for Entities/Static Objects because thats were you can use them from the LevelEditor.

Anything else, you just need to find the relative path and link it from their. Like music, textures, billboards, sounds...

I keep all my original files under my CS to keep it all organized. So if I make changes to something, I always do it from my CS and update any older versions elsewhere I have.
Spoiler below!
Thanks bro,that helped! Smile
But do i need to put the custom entities/static objects in both custom story folder and the entities
and staticobjects folder?
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2012, 08:37 PM by Datguy5.)
01-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

(01-24-2012, 08:35 PM)Datguy5 Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 07:46 PM)Rapture Wrote: Well in the "Entities" folder off the Amensia root, just put a folder that a unique name (i.e. = Datguy5) Their you would put your customized entites, applies the same rules for your music. Its only required for Entities/Static Objects because thats were you can use them from the LevelEditor.

Spoiler below!
Thanks bro,that helped! Smile
But do i need to put the custom entities/static objects in both custom story folder and the entities
and staticobjects folder?
Just the ones off the Amensia root if you intend to use them in the LevelEditor.
01-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I think you're kind of confusing him Rapture.

You should have 2 of each file. One goes in the root folders, and the other goes into your CS folder.

1 - "root folders") Needed to use in the level editor
2 - "CS folders") Needed so players may see them in-game when playing.
01-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

To give a visual representation:

amnesia the dark descent
....custom_stories
........entities
............my_entity
....entities
........my_entity

Hopefully that helps. Hehe

01-25-2012, 02:25 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Best practice is to have everything in your custom story's folder, not anywhere else, and understand the purpose of the resources.cfg file and understand how the game finds resources for custom stories.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
01-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(01-25-2012, 02:34 AM)Your Computer Wrote: Best practice is to have everything in your custom story's folder, not anywhere else, and understand the purpose of the resources.cfg file and understand how the game finds resources for custom stories.
I was going to suggest that (and also had a feeling you would), but I feel some people aren't ready to jump right into that region of "study". It's not hard at all once you know how to run simple directories, but some people would rather take the easy way and paste the files twice. I do, but that's because I easily lose my train of thought when going back and forth through different folders, so another one would make me trance out a few more times than usual. lol Though, I am very organized.
01-25-2012, 02:41 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(01-25-2012, 02:34 AM)Your Computer Wrote: Best practice is to have everything in your custom story's folder, not anywhere else, and understand the purpose of the resources.cfg file and understand how the game finds resources for custom stories.
lol. Are you hinting that it is as simple as inserting the custom stories folder in the default resource file?
Edit: because then I would do that.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM by Acies.)
01-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Find
Datguy5 Offline

Thanks guys i think i know how to use them now Smile
01-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Find