Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 3.78 Average
Killings In Altstadt -Custom story/Full conversion-
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Killings In Altstadt -Custom story/Full conversion-

So I played this. Well, rather tried to. I got about half way through the second map and clicked on the coins in my inventory since I was curious what they did, and the entire game crashed. I'm gonna be honest, from what I played it was very mediocre. The story was pretty weak, there were many easily spottable mapping errors, a lot of the scares seemed very... forced. I might finish this, maybe. But I'll at least give you guys credit for trying to make a new gameplay element.

Posting Freak
01-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Website Find
I will disagree Offline

Threads: 0

First of all you don't have to merge the files into the normal directories, all the folders can be placed inside the custom_stories\KillingsInAltstadt folder.

I don't know how you respond to criticism, but I will give some.

Spoiler below!

The basement lever puzzle thing is impossible, don't you test your maps? The unnecessary sanity damage it causes to pull that lever down made me stick to the ground and have no way of moving forward. Then added to that the fact that the lever does absolutely nothing is just too much...
After that puzzle I just skimmed through the maps skipping all the boring puzzles with LoadMap. Didn't spot a single original/interesting puzzle.

I am so desensitized that monsters are just an annoyance so I did not enjoy the "scares".

Mapping was the same as most other custom stories == identical corridors, boring lighting and low amount of detail. It didn't even seem to improve at any point, felt more like you got bored of mapping and just wanted to release asap.

The story... Half-assed like every other custom story. Those morality questions were pretty much laughable. Do I stab this limp body or not?
My characters motivation to go through all that was nonexistent. After a murderer? The place was full of murdering monsters.

Only good thing your whole story had was the Boris thing, which was interesting, but it did not fit the mood at all.

All my remaining respect for you vanished as I saw the flying naked body...

But don't worry, there will be lots of people who enjoy stories like these.

btw don't you think you should credit the creators of the music you used?
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2012, 11:36 AM by I will disagree.)
01-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Find
trollox Offline

Threads: 16

Great mod , i'm not done with it yet but i've played for 1hour and from what i can tell it's a sick amout of detail put into this. And i love it! I got a question tho "SPOILERS"
Once inside the mactine room what do i do? i found a red lever but i can't advance more then that i'm stuck? or i'm just missing a puzzle?
01-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Find
Thiefnuker Offline

Threads: 7

A Red Lever? You probably mean the red steam rod. Read the notes, they will tell you what to do Wink
01-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Find
devin413 Offline

WoW thx the first one who don't make criticism all the time Tongue
red lever you mean a red stick or ?

Boris Game Studios: Devin413 Moddels Maps Scripts.
Tenebris Lake
Killings In Altstadt

01-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Find
Thiefnuker Offline

(01-28-2012, 09:18 AM)kman Wrote: So I played this. Well, rather tried to. I got about half way through the second map and clicked on the coins in my inventory since I was curious what they did, and the entire game crashed. I'm gonna be honest, from what I played it was very mediocre. The story was pretty weak, there were many easily spottable mapping errors, a lot of the scares seemed very... forced. I might finish this, maybe. But I'll at least give you guys credit for trying to make a new gameplay element.
Can you send us details about these "easily spottable mapping errors"? We found (and fixed) 61 before release, so we looked carefully. And after release we played it again 2 times and didn't found anything except the lift-door that kinda glitches through the wall.
ty,
Thiefnuker

(01-28-2012, 11:34 AM)I will disagree Wrote: First of all you don't have to merge the files into the normal directories, all the folders can be placed inside the custom_stories\KillingsInAltstadt folder.

I don't know how you respond to criticism, but I will give some.

Spoiler below!

The basement lever puzzle thing is impossible, don't you test your maps? The unnecessary sanity damage it causes to pull that lever down made me stick to the ground and have no way of moving forward. Then added to that the fact that the lever does absolutely nothing is just too much...
After that puzzle I just skimmed through the maps skipping all the boring puzzles with LoadMap. Didn't spot a single original/interesting puzzle.

I am so desensitized that monsters are just an annoyance so I did not enjoy the "scares".

Mapping was the same as most other custom stories == identical corridors, boring lighting and low amount of detail. It didn't even seem to improve at any point, felt more like you got bored of mapping and just wanted to release asap.

The story... Half-assed like every other custom story. Those morality questions were pretty much laughable. Do I stab this limp body or not?
My characters motivation to go through all that was nonexistent. After a murderer? The place was full of murdering monsters.

Only good thing your whole story had was the Boris thing, which was interesting, but it did not fit the mood at all.

All my remaining respect for you vanished as I saw the flying naked body...

But don't worry, there will be lots of people who enjoy stories like these.

btw don't you think you should credit the creators of the music you used?
Generally we like criticism that helps us improving further projects. I noticed a few things in your "spoiler" that I have to respond with criticism Smile

1. "All my remaining respect for you vanished as I saw the flying naked body."
If you mean Johannes, you probably never played the main story. Johannes has the Model of Alexander who is naked & floating, too.

2. "Those morality questions are pretty much laughable"
Morality questions? If you mean the possibility to either stab the guys or not, that's not a morality question. It's just to give the player the chance to decide, not more and not less. Some people want to kill them, some don't.

3. "Mapping was the same..."
I'm sorry that we couldn't make 274 new models and we used the ones of Amnesia. Low amount of detail? What did you expect as "detailed"? It's one of the most detailed stories I have played yet. And i played ~20.

4. "The basement lever door puzzle..."
For the puzzles you are supposed to use your brain. The lever unlocks a door with a handwheel in the room behind. With that you can pull up the heavy door and proceed. And pulling the lever gives you 25 Sanity Damage, which is pretty much but if you played well before that's not a prob. I never, never, never lied on the ground after pulling it. And so did all the BETA-Testers (14 people).

5. "don't spot a single interesting puzzle..."
If you skipped every puzzle... how should you find one then? And okay, we will implement a dancing puzzle next time if you like that.

Anyway,
Haters gonna hate Big Grin

Greetz,
Thiefnuker

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2012, 02:56 PM by Thiefnuker.)
01-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Find
I will disagree Offline

So you are criticizing my criticism? Interesting... I'll keep this in spoilers.

Spoiler below!
(01-28-2012, 02:27 PM)Thiefnuker Wrote: 1. "All my remaining respect for you vanished as I saw the flying naked body."
If you mean Johannes, you probably never played the main story. Johannes has the Model of Alexander who is naked & floating, too.

I meant the pointless bad jump scare in the study

Spoiler below!

(01-28-2012, 02:27 PM)Thiefnuker Wrote: 2. "Those morality questions are pretty much laughable"
Morality questions? If you mean the possibility to either stab the guys or not, that's not a morality question. It's just to give the player the chance to decide, not more and not less. Some people want to kill them, some don't.

"You probably think that killing douzends of people for one lord is not acceptable. But you have to know: If Johannes dies, he has no heir to the throne. Chaos will rise. Hundrets, maybe thousands of people will die! This is not a moral condflict!"
But lets not discuss more about this since the story must not have been your main focus anyways. Wouldn't hurt to find someone to fix the grammar btw.

Spoiler below!
(01-28-2012, 02:27 PM)Thiefnuker Wrote: 3. "Mapping was the same..."
I'm sorry that we couldn't make 274 new models and we used the ones of Amnesia. Low amount of detail? What did you expect as "detailed"? It's one of the most detailed stories I have played yet. And i played ~20.

You have all the same stuff Frictional used for TDD so you can make as detailed map as they've made.
Rather bad example for improvement below.
[Image: altstadtbefore.jpg]
Added lighting, some decals and minor tweaks:
[Image: altstadtafter.jpg]

I have no idea how someone can't be bothered with the clear seams between cellarbase walls, use them welders! And btw many of your maps stutter on start since there are so many physics objects that you let fall on place.

Spoiler below!
(01-28-2012, 02:27 PM)Thiefnuker Wrote: 4. "The basement lever door puzzle..."
For the puzzles you are supposed to use your brain. The lever unlocks a door with a handwheel in the room behind. With that you can pull up the heavy door and proceed. And pulling the lever gives you 25 Sanity Damage, which is pretty much but if you played well before that's not a prob. I never, never, never lied on the ground after pulling it. And so did all the BETA-Testers (14 people).

Looks like I missed the DoorValve when I played. But the fact that pulling the lever down always gives sanity damage is just lazy scripting/testing.

Spoiler below!
(01-28-2012, 02:27 PM)Thiefnuker Wrote: 5. "don't spot a single interesting puzzle..."
If you skipped every puzzle... how should you find one then? And okay, we will implement a dancing puzzle next time if you like that.

If I'm right, all the puzzles were fetch puzzles. As in find this here and put it there (you even copied the TDD machine room puzzle). Puzzles are meant to make the player feel clever, you just used hidden items with straightforward uses to force the player to wander around and find stuff so they can progress.

I wouldn't write long ass posts just to bash you, these are here to point you to some of the problems I had while playing.
01-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Find
Measuring Offline

Threads: 16

This is our first custom story so don't think that it will be the best custom story ever...
(01-28-2012, 05:18 PM)I will disagree Wrote: So you are criticizing my criticism? Interesting... I'll keep this in spoilers.

Spoiler below!
(01-28-2012, 02:27 PM)Thiefnuker Wrote: 1. "All my remaining respect for you vanished as I saw the flying naked body."

I meant the pointless bad jump scare in the study

Spoiler below!

(01-28-2012, 02:27 PM)Thiefnuker Wrote: 2. "Those morality questions are pretty much laughable"

"You probably think that killing douzends of people for one lord is not acceptable. But you have to know: If Johannes dies, he has no heir to the throne. Chaos will rise. Hundrets, maybe thousands of people will die! This is not a moral condflict!"
But lets not discuss more about this since the story must not have been your main focus anyways. Wouldn't hurt to find someone to fix the grammar btw.

Spoiler below!
(01-28-2012, 02:27 PM)Thiefnuker Wrote: 3. "Mapping was the same..."

You have all the same stuff Frictional used for TDD so you can make as detailed map as they've made.
Rather bad example for improvement below.
[Image: altstadtbefore.jpg]
Added lighting, some decals and minor tweaks:
[Image: altstadtafter.jpg]

I have no idea how someone can't be bothered with the clear seams between cellarbase walls, use them welders! And btw many of your maps stutter on start since there are so many physics objects that you let fall on place.

Spoiler below!
(01-28-2012, 02:27 PM)Thiefnuker Wrote: 4. "The basement lever door puzzle..."

Looks like I missed the DoorValve when I played. But the fact that pulling the lever down always gives sanity damage is just lazy scripting/testing.

Spoiler below!
(01-28-2012, 02:27 PM)Thiefnuker Wrote: 5. "don't spot a single interesting puzzle..."

If I'm right, all the puzzles were fetch puzzles. As in find this here and put it there (you even copied the TDD machine room puzzle). Puzzles are meant to make the player feel clever, you just used hidden items with straightforward uses to force the player to wander around and find stuff so they can progress.

I wouldn't write long ass posts just to bash you, these are here to point you to some of the problems I had while playing.

The Facility
Tenebris Lake
Killings In Altstadt
01-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Find
Thiefnuker Offline

Before this becomes a discussion thread:

This was our first story. We never did anything with Amnesia before. I only had a little bit experience with C++ which is pretty similiar (but not the same, hell no!) to C which is pretty similiar to Angel Script. If you don't like the story, just don't play it. We're open for constructive criticism, but not for any kind of harassment of the developers.

And yes, our focus is not the story. Our focus are individual gameplay elements that give you a different feeling.

If you don't like it, don't play it. If you hate it, make screenshots, hang them on your wall and shoot them with a BB Gun, but stop argumenting here. Everyone does mistakes, we never pretended to be perfect Wink It was (like I said before) our first try and i think we did it pretty well.

Greetz,
Thiefnuker

PS: The "bad" grammar is because no one of us speaks commonly english. We're all learning it in school but that was it.
01-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Find
Zavinor Offline

cant find the yellow rod Sad
01-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Find