Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
TiberiusBond Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(03-11-2013, 03:12 PM)wubwub Wrote: pig very good [Image: pig-flu.jpg]

But, let's be honest, bacon is very good as well...

[Image: V642RRt.gif]
03-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-11-2013, 05:44 AM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(03-10-2013, 03:48 PM)Diz Wrote: Hey! Imagine if we are chased down by one of the creatures, we hide in a room, and the creature plays the weak card and pretends that it is unable to break down the door, then wanders off, but then comes very silently sneaking back and hides in a dark corner near the door. The music and atmosphere easens, changes or becomes completely still and silent. The unspeakable has gone away. You open the door, take a step or two, and you hear a big squeel, steps closing in, and you run right back into the room and close the door. I am sure I saw someone make a similar suggestion in another topic here at some point. Would make you think twice, and certainly would make things much less predictable. Discuss!

Hmm...that could very much work, but it would need some clever tweaking to make the player think the monster was being intelligent.

If I encountered your exact scenario in game, my mind would instinctively first go to that the monster is merely still looking for me randomly rather than being purely a trick born out of his intelligence.

However if you were somehow to witness, or know somehow, that the monster was doing something blatantly intelligent to blow you out of cover, then I would have my mind go to the monster being intelligent on instinct.

A very good example of this is in the movie Aliens, where the Alien queen is first frustrated that she lost Ripely, but then sees the elevator, and it dawns on her that she can use it. The whole execution of that scene conveyed perfectly that the Alien Queen is a very intelligent being, and that she can use that intelligence very well against her enemies.
Very good example. I've got another one. When you are chased and the monster goes away, have the monster go back with an iron bar or something. And it just bangs on the door, stabbing it.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-12-2013, 06:12 AM
Find
shahar Offline

WE WANT Amnesia A Machine For Pigs NOW!

THUMB UP IF YOU WANT TOO!Wink
03-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: WE WANT Amnesia A Machine For Pigs NOW!

Look, a masterpiece like AAMFP takes time to be polished and tested. The longer it is, the better. Why? because if it's rushed, it's gonna turn out like COD or a failed game.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Find
Oswald Mandus Offline

some news http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/...e-amnesia/
03-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

RPS did overview:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/...ore-145182
Quote:“I think we started working on it sometime around November [of 2011], and we thought it was going to be a couple hours-long,” he began. “But we started building it, and the story came out, and we really got sucked into it in terms of where we could push the engine and the stuff we could do. I guess we kind of got over-excited and just went with it.”

“It was last summer when we realized we could make it into something much [bigger]. Not just small-scale. Maybe 13 or 14 levels and a really strong story arc. If we had that extra time, we could invest even more into things like the art and music and really push the production values hard as well.”

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM by Kein.)
03-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

14 levels? I hope they made some more. And I hope that they're longer than in TDD.

03-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Find
Spaceman Offline

Threads: 1

You know, I'm quickly coming to the realisation that because TDD release was so long ago, and the announce for AMFP was so long ago as well, I have subconsciously bigged it up to the point where if its less scary than Amnesia in any way shape or form, I'm going to be disappointed Sad

[Image: tumblr_meuosnsjDw1s01xwto1_500.gif]
03-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: 14 levels? I hope they made some more. And I hope that they're longer than in TDD.
Hm... I can see why you'd want to get as much playtime as possible, but on the other hand I never quite undestood this whole judging a game by its length thing. If the story arc requires a playtime of exactly 6 hours, padding the game with three more levels wouldn't make it any better - in fact it might even "water the story down", if you know what I mean.

I, personally, think a (linear) game should have exactly the length it needs, not more, not less. If the story can be told in three hours, make it three hours long and adjust the price accordingly. If it has a ton of characters and plot twists or just needs more time to properly establish the setting, or give a sense that a lot of time has passed, make it longer. In the end, it's quality that counts, not quantity. Smile
03-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(03-12-2013, 02:32 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: 14 levels? I hope they made some more. And I hope that they're longer than in TDD.
Hm... I can see why you'd want to get as much playtime as possible, but on the other hand I never quite undestood this whole judging a game by its length thing. If the story arc requires a playtime of exactly 6 hours, padding the game with three more levels wouldn't make it any better - in fact it might even "water the story down", if you know what I mean.

I, personally, think a (linear) game should have exactly the length it needs, not more, not less. If the story can be told in three hours, make it three hours long and adjust the price accordingly. If it has a ton of characters and plot twists or just needs more time to properly establish the setting, or give a sense that a lot of time has passed, make it longer. In the end, it's quality that counts, not quantity. Smile
Please dont forget people, that it has been mentioned before that the levels in AAMFP will be larger then the levels we saw in TDD.
Still this does not necesarily mean more lengh since it also depends on how well those big environments are put to use, I mean TDD only had its lengh because of well done and scary it was not the size of its small levels.
03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Find