Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Spaceman Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(04-20-2013, 10:41 AM)Delirium92 Wrote:
(04-20-2013, 09:50 AM)Ossie Wrote: At this rate it'll be released at Halloween this year (which would make it Q4). Wink

So, let's look at the history of the proposed release dates for A Machine For Pigs:

First release date was Halloween 2012
Second release date was early 2013
Third release date was (still is?) Q2 2013
Fourth release date might be Q3 2013 (unless The Escapist article is just plain wrong)

I never take the release date info from these pages seriously. The Q3 thing has not yet been corroborated by FG so I'll assume that it's still a Q2 release.

Yeah and it's not the first time wrong release dates have been put up onto websites. I remember a while back another game writer wrote Q3 on theirs and the thread went mad for a few days before the writer admitting to their error and changing it back to Q2. Keep your hats on people.

[Image: tumblr_meuosnsjDw1s01xwto1_500.gif]
04-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 2

(04-20-2013, 08:25 AM)wtfomg Wrote: http://cdn.escapistmagazine.com/media/gl...468662.jpg
that one picture looks like its from a custom story.. and they say the game is finished.ugh
We had three level artists working on this entire game, I think what they've achieved is astonishing.

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
04-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Find
fancreeper Offline

Threads: 3

(04-20-2013, 10:54 AM)samueljustice00 Wrote:
(04-20-2013, 08:25 AM)wtfomg Wrote: http://cdn.escapistmagazine.com/media/gl...468662.jpg
that one picture looks like its from a custom story.. and they say the game is finished.ugh
We had three level artists working on this entire game, I think what they've achieved is astonishing.

Ignore him.The levels look awesome!Keep the good work!Hope this game comes out soon
04-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

(04-20-2013, 08:52 AM)martinnord Wrote:
in terms of what assets that are used yes, but mainly in terms of mapping and atmostfere its far superior to both TDD, mods and Custom stories IMO.

I also thought that that particular screenshot was lacking, but mainly in the lighting department.

There's dark blotches everywhere, tiny islands of light on the ceiling from pointlights, and everything is just way too dark for the amount of lamps and candles used.

The white welders/columns look flimsy under the weight of the heavy ceiling.

Those were the things that stood out to me. Smile What do you guys think?

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2013, 11:23 AM by MyRedNeptune.)
04-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Yeah gonna have to agree with you on that one neptune. I noticed the same thing in the older trailers but was hoping that they would get fixed eventually...

Posting Freak
04-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Website Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

[bump to show next page]

These issues (if you choose to see them as such, of course Smile) are really easy to fix. No-alpha pointlights to cover up the dark spots, and instead of thin welders you can try to group them up for a clustered column effect:

[Image: f0223-01.png]

This type of column is very common in architecture.

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2013, 11:39 AM by MyRedNeptune.)
04-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7

(04-20-2013, 11:21 AM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(04-20-2013, 08:52 AM)martinnord Wrote:
in terms of what assets that are used yes, but mainly in terms of mapping and atmostfere its far superior to both TDD, mods and Custom stories IMO.

I also thought that that particular screenshot was lacking, but mainly in the lighting department.

There's dark blotches everywhere, tiny islands of light on the ceiling from pointlights, and everything is just way too dark for the amount of lamps and candles used.

The white welders/columns look flimsy under the weight of the heavy ceiling.

Those were the things that stood out to me. Smile What do you guys think?

To be completely honest I think most of the screenshots that have been shared look fantastic. I love all the dark ominous shots, I especially love the colour pallet they have chosen. But that particular screen shot does not really impress me. I have used a few different game engines and I think I have managed to get lighting down quite well and judging by what I see in that screenshot I don't like how there are blotches of light on the ceiling. I personally think it would look far better if it had some sort of fade out colour too, just to remove the blotches of light and help blend them in. Here is some of the stuff I have slowly been putting together using some of the lighting techniques I have been playing with:
http://i.imgur.com/8VFSmF6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/loLnUCL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aFfjFgE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FtXZPbI.png
04-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

I agree. The lighting looks bad especially on the lower floor's ceiling. There are those lighted areas on the roof caused by the lamp entities and they fade to the other black areas of the ceiling very bluntly.
Anyway, I lighted some of the screenshots up and this is what I got:
Spoiler below!

[Image: a33wg.jpg]
Seems like a pig hanging there? Or is it just me?
Spoiler below!

[Image: 6riy6o.jpg]
A huge bridge silhouette on the background?

04-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

(04-20-2013, 01:49 AM)str4wberrypanic Wrote: This game is taking longer than duke nukem :l

No it doesn't -.-
Actually it was developed rather quick when you compare it with many other games.
04-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7

(04-20-2013, 12:46 PM)GrAVit Wrote: I agree. The lighting looks bad especially on the lower floor's ceiling. There are those lighted areas on the roof caused by the lamp entities and they fade to the other black areas of the ceiling very bluntly.
Anyway, I lighted some of the screenshots up and this is what I got:
Spoiler below!

[Image: a33wg.jpg]
Seems like a pig hanging there? Or is it just me?
Spoiler below!

[Image: 6riy6o.jpg]
A huge bridge silhouette on the background?

It seems like they have put some over saturated image over the top of their screenshots and then blended it in photoshop.
On another note Thomas has been very, very quiet on Twitter. The last time he went for more than 21 hours without tweeting they updated the AAMFP website.
04-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Find