Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

^Dear Esther was ok but it is kind of like a glorified picture book Tongue

02-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(02-22-2012, 10:53 PM)darkely Wrote: ^Dear Esther was ok but it is kind of like a glorified picture book Tongue
Thing is, that's not okay at all for something that describes itself as a game.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
02-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

^Well if it is not a game what would you call it?!

02-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

(02-22-2012, 10:58 PM)darkely Wrote: ^Well if it is not a game what would you call it?!
A graphic novel in the shell of a game, since it's not at all interactive. It's quite a nice picture book, but a total failure at telling its story by taking advantage of interactivity.

02-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Website Find
TheGrandHero Offline

Threads: 0

(02-22-2012, 10:50 PM)Lee Wrote: I can't believe that FG are teaming up with such a terrible developer. Dear Esther was a pile of trash that makes a joke out of storytelling in games...
Your mileage may vary. I think they're a good fit for the game.
02-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

(02-22-2012, 11:19 PM)lessthandan Wrote: Wow, you guys really need to calm down. You assume that just because The Chinese Room made Dear Esther, then Dear Esther is going to be identical to the new Amnesia game. Way to jump to conclusions. You're getting hostile about something you've seen absolutely no footage or gameplay of.

The Chinese Room made Karsakovia , which is one of the creepiest mods ever. If they can combine the atmosphere of Karsakovia with the enemies and puzzles of Amnesia, then they have a real winner on their hands.
It's obviously not going to be Dear Esther, but thechineseroom have never made any sort of good product since they started existing. My memories of Korsakovia are limited to terrible level design and hitting annoyingly loud clouds of dust with a crowbar.

02-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Website Find
dph314 Offline

Threads: 0

Frictional knows the fans liked their games. They wouldn't bring in someone that was going to want to change everything around. They're not stupid, so don't worry about Dear Esther, because Frictional wasn't working on Dear Esther with them, A Machine for Pigs they are. So...stop worrying.
So, I guess we have to get used to that name even though people didn't seem to like the thought of it possibly being that. I think it's a bit weird, but definitely catchy, with a description of course. If someone just saw the title and didn't know it was an Amnesia sequel they may be turned off by it. But knowing what I know I kind of like it, seems fitting.
02-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

(02-22-2012, 11:38 PM)dph314 Wrote: Frictional knows the fans liked their games. They wouldn't bring in someone that was going to want to change everything around. They're not stupid, so don't worry about Dear Esther, because Frictional wasn't working on Dear Esther with them, A Machine for Pigs they are. So...stop worrying.
So, I guess we have to get used to that name even though people didn't seem to like the thought of it possibly being that. I think it's a bit weird, but definitely catchy, with a description of course. If someone just saw the title and didn't know it was an Amnesia sequel they may be turned off by it. But knowing what I know I kind of like it, seems fitting.
I actually think that "A Machine for Pigs" is one of the coolest game names ever. More games focusing on mature subject matter should use actual meaningful names like "Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason" or "Inside a Star-filled Sky."

You're probably right that thechineseroom won't make too many pretentious changes to the formula under the watchful eye of such fantastic game designers, but I still have yet to see anything of actual quality come from them. I want to love it so much, perhaps like the previously referenced Star-filled Sky in comparison to Jason Rohrer's other silly little creations. It's definitely either a review copy or a first day buy for me, but I'm prepared to despise it.

02-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Website Find
envirovore Offline

Threads: 1

(02-22-2012, 11:19 PM)lessthandan Wrote: Wow, you guys really need to calm down. You assume that just because The Chinese Room made Dear Esther, then Dear Esther is going to be identical to the new Amnesia game. Way to jump to conclusions. You're getting hostile about something you've seen absolutely no footage or gameplay of.

The Chinese Room made Karsakovia , which is one of the creepiest mods ever. If they can combine the atmosphere of Karsakovia with the enemies and puzzles of Amnesia, then they have a real winner on their hands.
Karsakovia was a pretty creepy mod, and it was damn good as well. I also enjoyed Dear Esther ('played' through it twice actually).

That said, I'm sure this will turn out just fine. Quite excited about this project, you can take my money any time now Frictional.

Congrats on cracking the ARG everyone.
/fashionably late
//goes back to lurking.

alive we threaten everything
02-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Website Find
Dewi Offline

Threads: 1

I don't believe this article has been linked to yet: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/22/buildi...of-amnesi/
It was posted after the one that was linked to a few pages ago.

Either way, I think FG is keeping a close eye on the development. In my opinion, we shouldn't worry about it being a "walking simulator" at all!
The only thing that worries me is that they changed the gameplay. Then again, I've never liked it when things I love change, while it works out well at times.
02-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Find