Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(07-18-2012, 04:11 AM)GraphicsKid Wrote: I hope they change how the music is played. I hated how the music changed when there was a monster around, so you always knew when it was safe to move out by when the music returned to normal.

What they NEED to do, is make the music change based on what the player SEES or HEARS. Also, I think for the most part, they should get rid of the spawn noises the monster makes. What I think would be more terrifying than hearing a monster growl is hear nothing at all, save for the soft scraping of its feet on the floor. So if you think you hear something, you don't say "hey what was that? Was that a monster? I'd better hide," you instead say "..........uh oh." Big Grin

As much as people on these forums love to bash Dead Space, I still want to say that what DS is GREAT at is making the music follow the action on screen. A monster can be sneaking up on you, and the music doesn't BBREEEEEEPPPPPPP until you turn around and see it.
I agree. I also hope that enemies won't disappear, Justine and Black Plague were 20% creepier because monsters stayed.
07-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Find
Oswald Mandus Offline

Threads: 0

Quote: What they NEED to do, is make the music change based on what the player
SEES or HEARS. Also, I think for the most part, they should get rid of
the spawn noises the monster makes. What I think would be more
terrifying than hearing a monster growl is hear nothing at all, save for
the soft scraping of its feet on the floor. So if you think you hear
something, you don't say "hey what was that? Was that a monster? I'd
better hide," you instead say "..........uh oh."
Agree. there should be no monster spawn sound.after a while it gets really repetitive and not scary, instead there should be footsteps of a monster coming or smthng

Quote: I'd like to see a monster that is not human, creature, or pig. Like a steam punk-ish looking robot that is alive... and SCARY.
me too. but i think a mix of a robot and a creature would be just perfect
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2012, 10:15 AM by Oswald Mandus.)
07-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

What I'd also like to see would be monsters actively searching for you. In Amnesia it was often like this: You run into a room, hide in the cupboard or elsewhere. The monster bashes down the door, steps into the room, has a half-hearted look around and leaves again.

Wouldn't it be cool, if for example there was more than one cupboard in the room and while you were hiding in one of them you'd see or hear the monster actually searching the other ones? Or if it would knock aside barrels and crates to see if you were behind them and you would have to crawl from one hiding spot to the next to avoid capture?

Now obviously, such a mechanic would need to be handled with care, as the player must not die too often, or the game loses its scaryness and starts to feel unfair. Maybe you'd even have to make it so that the monster never searches the place you're actually hiding in so the increased danger is just an illusion.
(And then have it break that rule ONCE just when you thought you had the AI figured out - I think after that I would refuse to play anything except pony games for the rest of my life.)
07-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(07-18-2012, 05:16 AM)Joshua Wrote: Personally what I'd like to see is a more open environment, at least in some areas.

You haven't seen the trailer yet, have you? >_>

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Find
Oink Offline

(07-18-2012, 05:16 AM)Joshua Wrote:
Personally what I'd like to see is a more open environment, at least in some areas
. ATDD was broken down into one area at a time with a pretty direct channel of advancement.
Ummm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CagMNLxa9M
07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

To be fair, while the trailer does show outdoor envionments, it doesn't tell you much about how linear the levels are going to be. You can have what looks like part of a whole city and still only have one linear path going through it, with most of the streets blocked by convenient debris, wagons and whatnot.

They did say in an interview though, that the environments are going to be more expansive, which I guess can also be interpreted as "less linear". so nothing to worry about here Smile
07-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Find
GraphicsKid Offline

Threads: 34

ATDD had the Choir room, and that was pretty friggen "expansive", but still linear, so yea I think they meant nonlinear.
07-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 2

Got back from recording the soundtrack with live instruments earlier today. Sounding fantastic, you guys are in for a treat.

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
07-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Find
Zaari Offline

(07-18-2012, 08:36 PM)samueljustice00 Wrote: Got back from recording the soundtrack with live instruments earlier today. Sounding fantastic, you guys are in for a treat.
By treat you mean trailer mayyybee? :V

"Marzipan, darling."
07-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

NO I think he means the soundtrack. and ASDAJKSDJAKSJAKSJDAKSJDAKSJDKJSDKJSAD SUCH A TEASE!

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
07-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Find