Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...
Vithcommalobsel Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...

I did experience it. I played it by myself in the dark with nobody else in the room with surround sound headphones and only jumped once or twice, and that was really only because the game spawned an enemy right behind me that I couldn't get away from...because that's the only way they can kill you if you're smart.

I mean, the game preys upon your fears, and I really don't have any applicable fears IRL, so they don't translate to that game. Now, I am afraid of ghosts, deep water, and heights. Games with those concepts creep me right the frak out.
But a game with a big fat guy as the main enemy who announces his presence like 5 minutes before he's close enough to attack you isn't scary to me, lol. I just run past him or outsmart him somehow and go about my merry way. I don't sit around thinking "Now, all I have to do is think about being scared and he'll be scary and I can squeal like a girl like all those guys on Youtube did".
pfff, come on. People like that wouldn't survive the Hunger Games.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012, 10:33 PM by Vithcommalobsel.)
02-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

Threads: 1

(02-12-2012, 10:31 PM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: I did experience it. I played it by myself in the dark with nobody else in the room with surround sound headphones and only jumped once or twice, and that was really only because the game spawned an enemy right behind me that I couldn't get away from...because that's the only way they can kill you if you're smart.

I mean, the game preys upon your fears, and I really don't have any applicable fears IRL, so they don't translate to that game. Now, I am afraid of ghosts, deep water, and heights. Games with those concepts creep me right the frak out.
But a game with a big fat guy as the main enemy who announces his presence like 5 minutes before he's close enough to attack you isn't scary to me, lol. I just run past him or outsmart him somehow and go about my merry way. I don't sit around thinking "Now, all I have to do is think about being scared and he'll be scary and I can squeal like a girl like all those guys on Youtube did".
pfff, come on. People like that wouldn't survive the Hunger Games.
Ok, you obviously don't get it, but I'm not sure how to explain it. It's fine, only your loss anyway.

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
02-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(02-10-2012, 06:42 PM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: You can either outrun them, stand in a corner in plain view, or throw stuff at them and ske-daddle. Any of the three keep them from killing you. Not scary.
Then it's obvious why you aren't scared, you aren't even trying to immerse yourself. Think about this for a sec, if you were some how plunged into the scenario that Daniel is in, you have no idea where you were, what happened, and you find out you're stuck in a castle full of crazy monsters. Would you just say "lol their AI is bad so I can just hide in a corner and they won't see me" no, you'd think "Wow what the fuck is that! I should probably get the fuck out of here before that thing noms on my face!". There WHOLE POINT of Amnesia like the others said is you aren't playing to win, you're playing to experience it. You don't play to try to play with and out-smart the enemies, you play to treat them like a real threat. Of course if you go in with the mind set of it just being a game and that nothing will happen to you you aren't going to be scared. Try to play it like how you'd react in real life (which, I can guarantee you, wouldn't just be to throw shit at the monster and hide in corners).

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2012, 10:56 PM by Kman.)
02-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Website Find
Vithcommalobsel Offline

Define Immersion, because obviously it means imagining yourself being scared in order to act on it.
02-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(02-12-2012, 10:53 PM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: Define Immersion, because obviously it means imagining yourself being scared in order to act on it.
Edited post ^^^

Posting Freak
02-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Website Find
dph314 Offline

Threads: 0

We may have a lost cause here.
Anyways, put me in a big-ass creepy house like that without a clue about what's going on and those damn faceless abominations creeping around and I'll be as scared as can be.
02-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Find
Vithcommalobsel Offline

(02-12-2012, 10:56 PM)kman Wrote:
(02-12-2012, 10:53 PM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: Define Immersion, because obviously it means imagining yourself being scared in order to act on it.

Edited post ^^^
But in real life, I'd be fighting these things to the death. Hiding in a corner where you KNOW it can see you is just silly. Running when there's nowhere safe to go is silly as well. The only logical thing to do is stand your ground or outsmart it. You claim I'm playing it wrong, but that's me IMMERSING myself in it. That's me playing it like it was really happening. And it still doesn't scare me.
02-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(02-12-2012, 11:10 PM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote:
(02-12-2012, 10:56 PM)kman Wrote:

Edited post ^^^
But in real life, I'd be fighting these things to the death. Hiding in a corner where you KNOW it can see you is just silly. Running when there's nowhere safe to go is silly as well. The only logical thing to do is stand your ground or outsmart it. You claim I'm playing it wrong, but that's me IMMERSING myself in it. That's me playing it like it was really happening. And it still doesn't scare me.
Then you're lying to yourself. Simple as that. Stop trying to prove how manly you are, you're just making more of a fool out of yourself.

Posting Freak
02-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Website Find
Vithcommalobsel Offline

Wow, who the hell do you think you are to tell anyone they're a coward? or a Fool?

Let's change gears so more people can understand what scares me.
You know what's absolutely terrifying? The bear from Condemned 2. And I don't have to force myself into an imaginary world where I'm a coward...I just have to be myself, who is scared as hell of a rabid grizzly bear chasing me through a house.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2012, 12:03 AM by Vithcommalobsel.)
02-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Find
xdeath Offline

Threads: 2

(02-12-2012, 09:20 PM)Vithcommalobsel Wrote: Wait, let me get this straight...the only way Amnesia is scary is if you allow it to be scary? Because that's what you guys are saying.
So basically, I have to really really really want it to be scary or it won't be, right? I have to imagine that I'm not who I am, but rather a complete pansy with no survival instincts or common sense, and I have to pretend to be a chicken in order for the game to scare me.
Lol...with that logic, Tetris is the most terrifying game of all time I guess. You guys are silly.

And Fatal Frame is terrifying because the enemies are:

1. Threatening
2. Realistic (ghosts are fucking scary)
3. intelligent
4. able to surprise you at any moment.

The atmosphere is dark and intense, the core concepts are terrifying, and the game is just great. Haters can hate all they want. Amnesia isn't even close to as scary as Fatal Frame 3.
As I recall nobody said Fatal Frame was bad and/or not scary, you are the one hating, on Amnesia.

And Amnesia's monsters are threatening. They are faster, stronger, and the player has no option to fight back.
They could show up at any time, in any place. The player feels vulnerable.
The player is discouraged from looking at them. So the players mind fills in blanks, with things that scare them the most.
If and when the player does get a look. The monsters are grotesque mutilated, twisted versions of humans.
Makes the player feel revolted, and wanting to get far away from the monster.
02-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Find