Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Amnesia Doesn't Scare Me...

(05-10-2012, 09:55 AM)CrazyShootin Wrote: Pretty much every successful youtuber puts on a show in front of the camera. Some more than others. But judging someone you have never met on their youtube personality is just ridiculous. I'm not saying you don't have the rights to do so. But really, you can't be serious?

Have you actually made youtube videos that forms into a "standup comedy" show? It seems like you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
So let me get this straight: You're saying that every day PDP puts on the act of a psychopath, but that deep down inside, he actually wants to take these games seriously, and is disturbed by them, but that he's so serious and masterful in his acting, that not even the slightest instinct of his real and sane self shows through, and that as soon as the camera is turned off, he hugs a pillow and takes meds to get over the shame of laughing at murder and ruining serious games, and that he only does this because he loves his audience so much, because he's somehow convinced that his fine-tasting audience would abandon him if he would get serious?
That's like a multitude of different favours of bullshit.
Nobody but a psychopath would freely choose to put on "an act" of a psychopath.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2012, 02:30 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
05-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

Threads: 1

(05-10-2012, 02:29 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 09:55 AM)CrazyShootin Wrote: Pretty much every successful youtuber puts on a show in front of the camera. Some more than others. But judging someone you have never met on their youtube personality is just ridiculous. I'm not saying you don't have the rights to do so. But really, you can't be serious?

Have you actually made youtube videos that forms into a "standup comedy" show? It seems like you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
So let me get this straight: You're saying that every day PDP puts on the act of a psychopath, but that deep down inside, he actually wants to take these games seriously, and is disturbed by them, but that he's so serious and masterful in his acting, that not even the slightest instinct of his real and sane self shows through, and that as soon as the camera is turned off, he hugs a pillow and takes meds to get over the shame of laughing at murder and ruining serious games, and that he only does this because he loves his audience so much, because he's somehow convinced that his fine-tasting audience would abandon him if he would get serious?
Dude, you clearly don't know your shit. Stop pretending you do. If what you said were true, I'd be a psychopath too. You see, things aren't that black and white. Different people can distinguish reality from fantasy to a differing degree, it's got nothing to do with psychopathy or sanity.

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
05-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-10-2012, 04:00 PM)Gasjockey Wrote: Dude, you clearly don't know your shit. Stop pretending you do. If what you said were true, I'd be a psychopath too.

Yes, of course you're a psychopath too. You're arguing because you're a PDP fan, and because you can't see anything wrong with what PDP does, don't you? There's bound to be psychopaths attracted to PDPs LPs, and they're bound to respond to my criticism. In my eyes, you've basically selected yourself as a potential psychopath.

Quote:You see, things aren't that black and white. Different people can distinguish reality from fantasy to a differing degree, it's got nothing to do with psychopathy or sanity.

"It's just a game." doesn't apply, as part of every game is to imagine that the fantasy is real. It's one thing if you don't succeed in immersing yourself, but if you don't even bother to try to do that (like if you don't read story notes because character feelings or character motivations doesn't interest you, or if you would rather laugh at torture instead of trying to take it seriously) then that is not sane. Saying that you're not even going to invest emotionally in the axe-murdering and the executions of people in Condemned, is not sane. Actually, even choosing to play through Condemned, is not sane, because no sane mind would want to expose itself to that level of realistic violence for any reason.

05-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Find
CrazyShootin Offline

Threads: 3

(05-10-2012, 02:29 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:

It's easy to talk shit when you got nothing on display.

You're just twisting everything I say. Wouldn't you put on an act if it got you one million views a day?
You already have your mind set on that PDP is insane. Why do you even bother arguing about it? Cranky old fuck indeed.

(05-10-2012, 04:28 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 04:00 PM)Gasjockey Wrote: Dude, you clearly don't know your shit. Stop pretending you do. If what you said were true, I'd be a psychopath too.

Yes, of course you're a psychopath too. You're arguing because you're a PDP fan, and because you can't see anything wrong with what PDP does, don't you? There's bound to be psychopaths attracted to PDPs LPs, and they're bound to respond to my criticism. In my eyes, you've basically selected yourself as a potential psychopath.

Quote:You see, things aren't that black and white. Different people can distinguish reality from fantasy to a differing degree, it's got nothing to do with psychopathy or sanity.

"It's just a game." doesn't apply, as part of every game is to imagine that the fantasy is real. It's one thing if you don't succeed in immersing yourself, but if you don't even bother to try to do that (like if you don't read story notes because character feelings or character motivations doesn't interest you, or if you would rather laugh at torture instead of trying to take it seriously) then that is not sane. Saying that you're not even going to invest emotionally in the axe-murdering and the executions of people in Condemned, is not sane. Actually, even choosing to play through Condemned, is not sane, because no sane mind would want to expose itself to that level of realistic violence for any reason.
"because no sane mind would want to expose itself to that level of realistic violence for any reason."

The point of a videogame is that you can do things that you cannot do in rl...

The reason we don't do such things in rl is because we will feel guilty, sorrow, compassion. We will also get in trouble.
In a videogame you know beforehand that no real being is being hurt. Therefor no compassion is produced. Please don't tell me you feel bad for a voice actors recording along with an 2D image made out of pixels?

But what you are saying is that everyone who has ever screwed around in
GTA or anyone who has ever played a violent shooter/rts/horror game or
even watched a violent move/video is a sick person.

Well, I guess you are the only sane person on the face of the earth. Gratz!

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2012, 04:58 PM by CrazyShootin.)
05-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-10-2012, 05:37 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 12:29 AM)Bridge Wrote: Where do you come off saying stuff like that? I don't care if you have a phD, if you hold an opinion like that you are wrong. People are complex and you cannot pidgeonhole them into categories like that. You treat psychopaths as if they are clones from one undeviating template when they are not.
While people are complex, a psychopathic trait is by definition a similar thing in all people who has it. In this regard all psychopaths are alike in their psychopathy, just like all blond people are blond in more or less the same way.

Quote:Also I shall reiterate my point just in case you missed it: it's not real. It's called role playing.

I don't believe it is. First of all, going on YouTube and playing a completely different person, would be too much of a hassle, and second of all, concern is a reflex that you can't just put aside without effort. You can't "roleplay" to love eating meat without problems every day, if you're a PETA member. In the end the strain and shame would quickly break you down.

Quote:Also, you have no right to pass judgement on someone you don't know,
and if you do you cannot claim your judgement is based in fact.

Yes, I do "have the right" to make observations about people even if I don't know them, because I don't believe that he can fake that behavior. People judge strangers all the time. Saying that they need "rights" for that is just nonsense.
1. This discussion just can't go on until you provide medical proof for this.

2. It's not a hassle, it's called acting. Millions of people depend on their ability to mask their true feelings and personality to make a living. You think actors that play evil psychopaths go home and cry every day after work?

3. Touché; I'm sorry for impugning on your right to have opinions. I'm almost ashamed of myself for that statement. Still, I do not believe you have sufficient evidence to support your claims in a satisfactory manor. How's that?
05-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

(05-10-2012, 11:53 AM)bobbo Wrote: This thread is embarrassing.

Seriously, a remote psychological diagnosis based on the behaviour in Youtube videos? And really, showing no concern for virtual pixel people makes someone a real-life psychopath for you? I'm sorry, but are you from the past?
This...

InAfterFlameWar
ButBeforeEveryoneJoins

Insanity. Static.
05-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(05-10-2012, 02:29 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: So let me get this straight: You're saying that every day PDP puts on the act of a psychopath, but that deep down inside, he actually wants to take these games seriously, and is disturbed by them, but that he's so serious and masterful in his acting, that not even the slightest instinct of his real and sane self shows through, and that as soon as the camera is turned off, he hugs a pillow and takes meds to get over the shame of laughing at murder and ruining serious games, and that he only does this because he loves his audience so much, because he's somehow convinced that his fine-tasting audience would abandon him if he would get serious?
Tell that to the people who've acted Micheal Myers, Freddy Kruger, and Jason. It's acting. Whatever he does isn't any sort of genuine, true feeling of what he would really REALLY want to do. Sometimes it's for the sake of a job, like actors. Sometimes, it's just really fun to act. In Pewdie's case, it's a mix of both.

Like for instance, sometimes I like screaming, and joking around my friends while making vulgar jokes, which while vulgar, are OBVIOUSLY nothing more than jokes, so my friends aren't bothered despite the context of the joke. Why? Because they know I'm just fooling around, and having fun instead of really meaning it.

CrankyOldMan Wrote:"It's just a game." doesn't apply, as part of every game is to imagine
that the fantasy is real. It's one thing if you don't succeed in
immersing yourself, but if you don't even bother to try
to do that (like if you don't read story notes because character
feelings or character motivations doesn't interest you, or if you would
rather laugh at torture instead of trying to take it seriously) then
that is not sane. Saying that you're not even going to invest
emotionally in the axe-murdering and the executions of people in
Condemned, is not sane. Actually, even choosing to play through
Condemned, is not sane, because no sane mind would want to expose itself
to that level of realistic violence for any reason.
No. Really, it really is just a game. It's just a form of entertainment. In video game, you don't have to worry about consequence, you're just in there to see what the game has to offer, and be it fun, horror, or anything of the sort, you have to realize, regardless of the amount of immersion it offers you, that what you're playing is ultimately just a game.

Enemies are a one of the core aspects of gaming in certain types of games, and sometimes they;re presented in form of other humans. You just have to know that the people you kill in it are not real, heck most of them aren't even people you're supposed to care about. The difference here from real life is that you know you're not actually hurting anyone. It's just a 3D model with script in it. You're just trying to have fun in the game, and if it can be achieved through beating your enemies, why shouldn't you? No one will get hurt from it.

The point here is that in real life, killing people is not okay in any way, even liking it is bad. What you have to understand is the difference between real life, and video games. Most people with proper/normal levels of brain power are successfully able to do that. While in a game they'll enjoy killing the enemies, when he turns off his computer, and goes into real life, he'll still have morals about the fact that killing is bad, and probably would never even consider doing anything of the sort.

I'll say it again: Unless you have something wrong with your head, you should easily be able to tell the difference between virtual video games, and reality, and not mix the two worlds together.

EDIT: Also, Cranky I'll bring something else up with you. This is one of the reasons we have video game ratings. Children are still developing their minds, and much more able to REALLY incorporate super-extreme actions into their lives if not kept in check. The reason why older people, like ourselves are allowed to play such "traumatizing" games is because our psyche's development is nearly well within our own control. We can tell what's right, and what's wrong as well as what's real, and what's just a virtual video game. We have enough control over our minds at this stage of life that we can easily keep the two from mixing together.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM by Kreekakon.)
05-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(05-10-2012, 07:25 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: The point here is that in real life, killing people is not okay in any way, even liking it is bad. What you have to understand is the difference between real life, and video games. Most people with proper/normal levels of brain power are successfully able to do that. While in a game they'll enjoy killing the enemies, when he turns off his computer, and goes into real life, he'll still have morals about the fact that killing is bad, and probably would never even consider doing anything of the sort.

EDIT: Also, Cranky I'll bring something else up with you. This is one of the reasons we have video game ratings. Children are still developing their minds, and much more able to REALLY incorporate super-extreme actions into their lives if not kept in check. The reason why older people, like ourselves are allowed to play such "traumatizing" games is because our psyche's development is nearly well within our own control. We can tell what's right, and what's wrong as well as what's real, and what's just a virtual video game. We have enough control over our minds at this stage of life that we can easily keep the two from mixing together.
1. I basically agree with you but I don't like this black and white view of it. Killing people can be completely okay, and it is not bad in all cases. Your point is good however.

2. Highly debatable. Not only is there no scientific evidence to support that claim, but I agree with Frank Zappa on this matter in that ratings are complete bullshit. In one of his lectures he raised a very good point by saying that if you glorify murder by PG13izing it instead of portraying it like it is (messy and horrifying) then you are teaching children that murder has little or no consequences. So ironically by sheltering them from "traumatizing" imagery you are actually teaching them that said imagery isn't so traumatizing. If a kid watches a very violent yet "disturbing" movie like Oldboy for example he will be left with a bad feeling in his stomache which ultimately results in him wanting to avoid violence. Isn't it funny how the efforts of soccer moms in the US and elsewhere are totally negated by the way the human mind works? By restricting and demonizing ideas you inevitably increase the demand for them and by showing a skewed version of those same ideas you do nothing but teach people that those distorted realities are truth. Give kids the straight dope and let them decide for themselves: the future of education.
05-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Apparently this subject can be argued for days. I'd rather script.

05-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(05-11-2012, 12:33 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Apparently this subject can be argued for days. I'd rather script.
Agreed.
05-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Find